I have myspace, I text/MMS, I play PS3 online, I have a DVR and program it from the web, I bank only online, and I have an active crackberry account. I embrace all that is new and fun. I have yet, though, to do the whole Twitter thing. I know its mostly for younger people but ****, news stations have Twitter accounts. I am 28 and I don't know anyone who has it. For u BB users, is it more addicting than instant push email and BB messenger??? I suppose I shoul check it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 03:57 PM
    I joined a few months back to keep in touch with a former coworker. Aside from his random tweets, I RARELY use it (probably because no one I know is on it). I actually laughed out loud the other day when I saw a news story about CEO's tweeting. How many middile-aged business people are really going to follow that? If I wanted info on what a company is doing I would just check the news. With the use of RSS feeds I'm not really sure I see the point of Twitter.
    06-04-09 04:12 PM
    I don't use Twitter. It's the same thing as a facebook status. I don't think anyone cares that I just got to the library to study, nor do I care that my friend just had the best spaghetti ever.
    06-04-09 04:17 PM
    Best spaghetti ever? Where?

I knew I shouldn't have skipped lunch!
    06-04-09 04:19 PM
    I only know two people that use it. I personally think it's stupid.

06-04-09 04:22 PM
    Unless you have some super exciting life i personally don't see why anyone cares, unless of course cyberstalking celebrities is your thing.
    06-04-09 04:42 PM
    I was just following the tweets of one of the astronauts that was up doing spacewalks. It was pretty cool to follow him. He always updated after a spacewalk. I also follow this website as well as some of the writers on this website. Over all Twitter helps me stay up to date on what is going on.
    06-04-09 04:48 PM
    I'm trying it out mostly to follow sports teams or other things I am personally interested in -- not necessarily to follow individual people's activities, which I imagine would get boring. I like it alright so far; give it a try, see if anything / anyone that interests you has a twitter feed set up. It's not going to cost you anything, there are even free apps for the bb.
    06-04-09 04:48 PM
    Ok, good to know I'm not the only one not using it . To me it seems like the same thing that can be accomplished by sending a text to caller group. The only thing that remotely interests me is when I see athletes doing it on espn and thinking about talking trash to the followers. Thanks all for the input and points of view.

On a separate note regarding internet surfing...if I have wifi on and am connected at home, how do I really know that I'm not using my ATT data plan?

06-04-09 04:54 PM
    Ok, good to know I'm not the only one not using it . To me it seems like the same thing that can be accomplished by sending a text to caller group. The only thing that remotely interests me is when I see athletes doing it on espn and thinking about talking trash to the followers. Thanks all for the input and points of view.

On a separate note regarding internet surfing...if I have wifi on and am connected at home, how do I really know that I'm not using my ATT data plan?

Because data is alot faster on WIFI than through cellular? You also need to be running the Hotspot browser.. Any other browser, even with WIFI on, is using cellular data.
    06-04-09 05:14 PM
    Because data is alot faster on WIFI than through cellular? You also need to be running the Hotspot browser.. Any other browser, even with WIFI on, is using cellular data.
    What is the "hot spot" browser and how do I get it. I post and lurk on these boards way too much and I swear I've never heard of that

06-04-09 05:22 PM
    What is the "hot spot" browser and how do I get it. I post and lurk on these boards way too much and I swear I've never heard of that

Some carriers disable it via service books, but if your device has WIFI, go to Settings, Options, Advanced Options, Browser and change your default browser to "Hotspot" browser.

When you are on WIFI, click the Browser icon and you're going through WIFI then.
    06-04-09 05:27 PM
    Some carriers disable it via service books, but if your device has WIFI, go to Settings, Options, Advanced Options, Browser and change your default browser to "Hotspot" browser.

When you are on WIFI, click the Browser icon and you're going through WIFI then.
    Ahhhhh u r a savior. Yeah ur right, its much faster . Thanks so much! Fyi, on the 8820 its called "wi fi" browser....even easier to distinguish if u ask me

06-04-09 05:48 PM
    Ahhhhh u r a savior. Yeah ur right, its much faster . Thanks so much! Fyi, on the 8820 its called "wi fi" browser....even easier to distinguish if u ask me

Ah..that's probably because the 8820 came out before AT&T's contracts with the Starbucks Hotspots.. I cant remember.
    06-04-09 06:10 PM
    i don't get twitter either. it's basically the facebook status part of facebook without anything else. Thats dumb.

*this thread is also posted in the wrong section.
    06-04-09 06:12 PM
    I do myspace not facebook so I can't say I haven't tried because they are redundant. I just don't know what I am missing I guess

06-04-09 10:33 PM
    I do use twitter and enjoy it very much. The spontaneous conversations are what its all about. I like knowing my friend is at his son's baseball game and I might even stop by to see him play. But I will definitely ask the score or who won. It allows those of us who are close to see what each other is doing. Sometimes its funny. Sometimes informative (father in hospital, keep us in your prayers). Sometimes useless, but not often. I will say tho it helps a lot to have ppl you know on the service as well.

06-04-09 10:48 PM
    my twitter is linked now to my facebook status
    06-05-09 01:40 AM
    Yes, I do use Twitter and use it quite often from my BlackBerry. I find that I actually do care sometimes about just the menial things that people are doing, and when you use it, you realize these small little posts can completely change what you are thinking throughout the day, and that you might actually care. In fact I just wrote an article about the revolution that Twitter has started in case you would like to check it out
    06-05-09 04:01 AM
    Actually I think the majority of twitter users are 20+, just by looking at it empirically, I could be wrong though. I use both twitter and facebook. I like to keep them separate.

I see twitter and facebook are being used differently. With facebook it's just between friends, I'm comfortable with sharing personal stuff on facebook whereas I'd think twice before doing it on twitter. But true that twitter used to operate like facebook statuses... (I think that's where facebook got the idea, actually). The direction is changing with twitter, I now use it to keep updated with the latest news from around the globe and to keep up with the latest trend on the net. It's fun, IMO.
    06-05-09 06:22 AM
    I've been using Twitter for about a year now and love it. First used it to help me lose weight by posting what I ate. Sounds SUPER exciting, I know! I followed people who were doing the same, and vice versa, and found it to be a great way to not only keep myself honest but to get feedback on my progress AND tips on things I could do to eat and live healthier.

I did drop about 20 pounds in about 4 months and got rid (mostly) of my beer gut.

Now I use it predominantly as an RSS Reader replacement. Follow most of my blogs and news outlets on there and twitter seems to get updated faster than GReader. Get most of my fantasy sports info there. Keep in touch with a few friends as well who live in far off places.

There's a ton of applications for twitter, more than just telling people what you just ate or that you're going to bed. Right now I'm hoping someone following me has a good recipe for marlin steaks
    06-05-09 07:57 AM
    Get most of my fantasy sports info there.
    Ohhhhhh, magic word fantasy sports is! Considering I haven't found an app for it, this will grt me to take the plunge.
    06-05-09 09:22 AM
    A few businesses and online companies use twitter as well. The ones I have used send updates on products I'm interested in, or news and interesting links via twitter. Keeps them from needing to ask people to sign up for things with their email or phone numbers, to get txt messages.

Get tired of updates from somewhere, just un twitter it (unsubscribe).

Sure twitter is mostly (depending on where you look that is), "Hey I just dropped a load in the toilet!" type messages, that most people could careless about, but those sort of posts are very easy to filter out. Just don't look for public tweets.
    06-05-09 09:27 AM
    I'll get on it once in a while. It was pretty fun in the beginning. But I strictly use twitter from my ubertwitter app. I might leave it off all day then occasionally go into to it at the end of the day. I like twitter because of its trending topics mostly. Nice to see different ppl talking about different things. I guess I just love the randomness of it.

06-05-09 05:21 PM
    twitter is ok.. Its semi addicting but I find that following to many people becomes annoying..

If you follow people you actually speak with its a different story...

I do find that following the various blackberry / twitter people is interesting as they seem eager to tweet updates..

Kevin here on crackberry has a twitter and posts updates on there letting you know when a article has been posted it actually can be useful..
    06-05-09 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD