I am a new Twitter user, and pretty much only use it now to follow people. I don't post many Tweets myself, but I like to see what is going on with others.

I downloaded UberTwitter today, and it works just fine. But what I am looking for is a way so that I am notified of a new tweet from someone I am following, but not to get a text message alerting me to it. I want to be able to distinguish a true text message from a Twitter post. I can't make a special SMS ringtone for Twitter posts, so is there an app that will allow me to do this?
    05-18-09 02:22 PM
    If you go to your profile settings there will options for UberTwitter.
    05-18-09 02:42 PM
    Excellent, thanks for your response.

Does this mean that when I get a Twitter response, the UberTwitter settings will take over and my SMS text ringtone will no long play?
    05-18-09 02:49 PM
    I solved the issue I was having. This may be basic knowledge, but figured I would pass along what I did.

I am using UberTwitter. I did not like getting a text message notification for every Tweet of a person I was following. I wanted to be able to distinguish between a regular text message and a Tweet.

On my Curve, you cannot set up a special ringtone for a text message from a specific user. So here is how I worked around it.

First, turn off mobile notifications on Twitter's website. You will no longer get a text message when someone you are following posts on Twitter.

Second, go into your Profile settings on the phone and set up whatever ringtone you want for UberTwitter notifications.

Now, when someone you are following tweets, you will be a notification through UberTwitter instead of via text message. It works wonderfully for me and I am very happy with UberTwitter.
    05-19-09 02:13 PM
    Thanks a lot!! I was wondering how to do that too....
    05-19-09 04:28 PM
    does anyone know how to delete the tweets that are read?

also, is there a way to view ur pic from ubertwitter? i uploaded a pic on twitter.com but i can't see it from ubertwitter. the weird thing is that i can see everyone else's pix. i just can't see mine. all i get is the standard o_O or whatever it is.
    05-19-09 10:55 PM
    nevermind.....i got it to display my pic.

now i just need to figure out how to delete these updates without deleting the person. is this possible?
    05-20-09 12:12 AM
    I don't believe so - the tweets all stay visible all the time. I've found that I just read down the list until I fnd myself with the feeling "I've read this before".

Not a fault of UT, or any twitter client, just the way it works.
    05-20-09 02:43 AM
    nevermind.....i got it to display my pic.

now i just need to figure out how to delete these updates without deleting the person. is this possible?
    All tweets remain after you read them. Whenever I go into UberTwitter it automatically takes me to the last tweet I read and I just scroll up from there.
    05-20-09 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD