I just tried Twitter for BlackBerry 3.0, and to be honest - I hate it I think there are a few problems. This is why:

- Version 3.0 does not have the GPS capability added in Twitter for BlackBerry 2.0. You no longer have the option of adding a location to your tweets; which is something I liked to do. So now RIM is ELIMINATING features - great job!
    EDIT 4/3/12 - 10:05 AM: I've heard from version 3 users that this feature does exist in version 3. However, there is no option to add location to tweets in my Options menu (yes I did look there before posting this).

EDIT 4/3/2012 - 11:54 AM: The option is there. It's under Options -> Manage Accounts -> enable/disable in whichever applicable account. Thank you to user MADBRADNYC for the help!

- The BBM integration comes with a very big caveat: every freaking time you tweet you get a dialog box asking if you want to post your tweet to BBM. There is no way to dismiss this permanently and it's redundant anyhow: you can already choose whether to share the tweet to BBM from the Compose Tweet PopScreen.

- The new method of displaying Twitter handles is ridiculous. Instead of displaying the Twitter username/handle next to each tweet, the new version displays the 'real name' in boldface and the handle in lightface next to it - if there is any room. Given that the real name is usually longer, and sometimes cannot be fully displayed this is a puzzling choice by RIM. What's worse is that there is no way to change this. This change may be in keeping with how Twitter's new web interface is designed, but Twitter's web interface is meant for a PC monitor. There is considerably less space on a BlackBerry screen.

- The claims that it's "easier to share photos" is a canard. It's the same process as 2.0, they've just added support for pic.twitter. IMO, sharing photos via Twitter for BlackBerry has always been pretty simple.

That said, does anyone know how to downgrade to version 2.0? Is there somewhere I could grab the installer?
    I'm hanging on to this version. It still has better performance (e.g. less hang) than version 2.
    Last edited by Identity-H; 04-03-12 at 11:59 AM. Reason: To correct an earlier assertion.
    04-03-12 12:04 AM
    - Version 3.0 does not have the GPS capability added in Twitter for BlackBerry 2.0. You no longer have the option of adding a location to your tweets; which is something I liked to do. So now RIM is ELIMINATING features - great job!
    Did you think to look under Options for the setting "Add location to tweet"? Go take another look, it's there.
    04-03-12 12:45 AM
    So i see someone was jumping the gun here, some of the stuff you have a problem with can just be customized in the settings
    04-03-12 01:17 AM
    Did you think to look under Options for the setting "Add location to tweet"? Go take another look, it's there.
    I did look there first. It is not there.

I have version 3.0.0.20
    Last edited by Identity-H; 04-03-12 at 02:35 AM.
    04-03-12 02:06 AM
    Please first look at the settings and then post such a bs.. Point one and two is in the settings..
    04-03-12 03:22 AM
    I just tried Twitter for BlackBerry 3.0, and to be honest - I hate it. This is why:

It does, go to your twitter options and tick the box that says 'add location to tweet'

- The BBM integration comes with a very big caveat: every freaking time you tweet you get a dialog box asking if you want to post your tweet to BBM. There is no way to dismiss this permanently and it's redundant anyhow: you can already choose whether to share the tweet to BBM from the Compose Tweet PopScreen.
    2 options here. You either go into your twitter options and untick the box that says 'update BBM personal message when Tweeting'. Or when you're composing a tweet make sure the BBM icon on the bottom left doesn't have a square around it (disables it too)

- The new method of displaying Twitter handles is ridiculous. Instead of displaying the Twitter username/handle next to each tweet, the new version displays the 'real name' in boldface and the handle in lightface next to it - if there is any room. Given that the real name is usually longer, and sometimes cannot be fully displayed this is a puzzling choice by RIM. What's worse is that there is no way to change this. This change may be in keeping with how Twitter's new web interface is designed, but Twitter's web interface is meant for a PC monitor. There is considerably less space on a BlackBerry screen.
    Matter of preference, i prefer the new way.

- The claims that it's "easier to share photos" is a canard. It's the same process as 2.0, they've just added support for pic.twitter. IMO, sharing photos via Twitter for BlackBerry has always been pretty simple.
    This is just trolling.

That said, does anyone know how to downgrade to version 2.0? Is there somewhere I could grab the installer?
    try this RROYY - APPLICATION ARCHIVE
    04-03-12 06:42 AM
    It does, go to your twitter options and tick the box that says 'add location to tweet'
    I've looked there. I'm not seeing it.
    I see the following options:
    -You're now on Twitter! [Welcome]
    -Add accounts, manage account settings, and sign out [Manage Accounts]
    -BBM settings [Edit]
    -Tweets refresh in background (X)
    -Tweets refresh every [INTERVAL]
    -Notify on new tweets (X)
    -Number of tweets per refresh [#]
    -Per Account Settings can be modified in Manage Accounts.
    -Integrate in Messages application (X)
    -Show messages as [Bubbles]
    -Use system font settings (X)
    -Font customization options
    -Hide tweet composer on home screen (X)
    -Check tweets for personal information before sending (X)
    -Spellcheck before sending (X)
    -Upload photos to [Twitter]
    -Content cache [Clear]
    -Version 3.0.0.20
    -Automatically check for the newest updates (X)
    -Check for update [Go]
    It's not in there. I can hop on the PC and post the screen caps.

2 options here. You either go into your twitter options and untick the box that says 'update BBM personal message when Tweeting'. Or when you're composing a tweet make sure the BBM icon on the bottom left doesn't have a square around it (disables it too)
    To be honest, that's what I wound up doing.

Matter of preference, i prefer the new way.
    Fair enough.

This is just trolling.
    I don't see how this constitutes trolling. The features to, for instance, take a photo w/ the camera and send/share to Twitter have already been around. I don't know to what extent RIM publicized them, but I've used them before. The only difference I can see is that they support pic.twitter. Supporting this new service is good, but touting existing features as new is disingenuous. I'm simply trying to be accurate.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
    EDIT: Found it, thanks!
    ---

For all my criticism of the new Twitter app, one thing should be noted: it's performance has improved. It runs very smoothly and doesn't have the occasional hang-up that version 2 did.
    Last edited by Identity-H; 04-03-12 at 10:12 AM.
    04-03-12 09:57 AM
    I'm going to roll mine back and have a play
    04-03-12 10:15 AM
    It is right under "Notify on replies and mentions" in the options menu.
    04-03-12 10:29 AM
    I did look there first. It is not there.

I have version 3.0.0.20
    @OP. As unhelpful as some are and how well meaning others are, you are NOT being provided the proper information. You will not see it by just going to "Options".

Please go into Options->Manage Accounts, and click on the account you want to edit. You will then see the options you are searching for.

Hope this helps.
    Identity-H likes this.
    04-03-12 10:50 AM
    @OP. As unhelpful as some are and how well meaning others are, you are NOT being provided the proper information. You will not see it by just going to "Options".

Please go into Options->Manage Accounts, and click on the account you want to edit. You will then see the options you are searching for.

Hope this helps.
    It does - thank you very much!

I guess this is actually an improvement over Twiter for BlackBerry 2.0, since you can enable/disable for specific accounts.

Thanks again!
    04-03-12 11:53 AM
    It does - thank you very much!

I guess this is actually an improvement over Twiter for BlackBerry 2.0, since you can enable/disable for specific accounts.

Thanks again!
    You're welcome!
    Glad to see you have it working to your liking!

I agree that v3 is a big improvement over v2.

Enjoy T4BB!!!
    04-03-12 03:00 PM
    Hold down your BB menu key, do you have a box called "? - tweeting"
    04-04-12 09:17 AM
    Hold down your BB menu key, do you have a box called "? - tweeting"

That is coming from the new update from the screen grabber app. Delete that and u will see it disappear. U can reinstall the app from app world and its not there.
    04-04-12 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD