I have been working on my first BlackBerry app (Tweet Media Player). It is a simple media player app that lets your automaticlly or maunually post to twitter #np messages about what you are listening to.

I have placed an OTA install at http://bbtweet.com. If you have an OS 5 BlackBerry give it a try and let me know of any problems, observations or comments.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    07-11-10 11:56 AM
    This is cool. Does it work with programs like Pandora or Slacker? or does it only work with the blackberry media player.
    07-11-10 12:10 PM
    This is cool. Does it work with programs like Pandora or Slacker? or does it only work with the blackberry media player.
    I was inspired by slacker that does allow you to tweet what station you are listening too. I figured there had to be a way to do this when you are listening to your own music. I could not find an existing solution so I created the app.

I was going to try to hook into the BB media player and add options to tweet #np messages, but I could not find APIs that let me integrate with the now playing app so I had to make my own.

It is pretty basic you can pick a root directory on your bb and it will play mp3 files ranomlly or in sequence.

I was able to create a menu item in the bb media player app, but I still need to investigate if there is a way to get thier info (sleteced playlist, artist etc).
    07-11-10 12:36 PM
    Nice will give this a try

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 12:43 PM
    I can't seem to get it to tweet the song I'm playing on my storm2 and when I click the screen it locks up for about five seconds!

07-13-10 08:08 AM
    If you decide to (or can) make a 4.5 compatible version I'll test it for you.

07-13-10 08:15 AM
    The app is great and it even works with WiFi however a few things I'd love to see implemented.

- Search function.
    - Tweet Confirmation Dialog
    - Ability to use #nowplaying instead or #np or just a custom hashtag.
    - Sometimes when the Song Title or the Artist is too long the tweet would be cut in half ;/.
    - Change the "Posted from API" to "Posted from TwitMedia" or something (just for the kicks :P)
    - The icon doesn't look good on black backgrounds!

Overall I'm loving the app :P
    07-13-10 09:15 PM
    Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I added them to may TODO page - Tweet Media Player: Tasks & Actions

When you selected the song and title you can scroll to the right to see more of the song title.

The app is great and it even works with WiFi however a few things I'd love to see implemented.

- Search function.
    - Tweet Confirmation Dialog
    - Ability to use #nowplaying instead or #np or just a custom hashtag.
    - Sometimes when the Song Title or the Artist is too long the tweet would be cut in half ;/.
    - Change the "Posted from API" to "Posted from TwitMedia" or something (just for the kicks :P)
    - The icon doesn't look good on black backgrounds!

Overall I'm loving the app :P
    07-14-10 07:14 AM
    downloaded it and looooove it so far! is there a way to not have it play it until after so many seconds? I change my mind alot and my tweets will get more over-bearing! HA.
    07-14-10 05:44 PM
    Thanks, should be an easy fix when auto tweet is enabed I wait several seconds before tweeting incase you skip. Added it to my TODOs

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-14-10 05:55 PM
    For some reason the new v0.3.4 won't let me publish songs on twitter :/
    Last edited by chuckcalo; 07-14-10 at 10:49 PM.
    07-14-10 10:34 PM
    What type of connection do you use from your BlackBerry? Did you try adjusting the transport types on the options screen and use the validate button to check your connection to Twitter?

For some reason the new v0.3.4 won't let me publish songs on twitter :/

07-15-10 05:37 AM
    this may be a dumb question, but what do the icons do in the app? I cant seem to get them to work or cant figure it out.

thanks!
    07-15-10 08:09 AM
    On the options screen enter you twitter account info (or a new 'now playing' twitter account). You may need to adjust the transport settings based on your phone and data plan. Use the validate button to confirm you are setup right.

Once setup, while playing a song the bird icon will post a new 'now playing' status update with the song you are currently playing. The heart icon will post a new fav song status update with your current song.

In the options menu there is also a auto checkbox that will automatically keep posting now playing status update while you listen to your music.

this may be a dumb question, but what do the icons do in the app? I cant seem to get them to work or cant figure it out.

thanks!

07-15-10 08:19 AM
    thank you!
    07-15-10 08:57 AM
    Oh I found another bug, If the artist name have a "&" the tweet would be cut! ie: it shoulld say #np "Something" by Hi & Hello but instead it says #np "Something" by Hi
    07-15-10 02:33 PM
    Thanks I opened a task. Must not be getting encoded.

Oh I found another bug, If the artist name have a "&" the tweet would be cut! ie: it shoulld say #np "Something" by Hi & Hello but instead it says #np "Something" by Hi
    07-21-10 02:59 PM
    I was just thinking that Blackberry needs an app like this! Good luck with your creation...
    Last edited by YaBoiD; 07-21-10 at 03:08 PM.
    07-21-10 03:06 PM
    I have a problem I have a Curve 8520 os 5.0 i install the app and works correctly tih only wi fi i run de network configuration and tells me works with wap 2 i try to connect to twitter in options and it works fine it connects.

My problem is that only works with WIFI when i using the data plan doesnt work can help me..
    07-27-10 09:42 AM
    So I believe you are saying you can connect via wap 2 on the options page but not when you try to POST a status update to twitter? If so...

• Turn on the "show debug messages" flag in the options screen.
    • Go back to the main screen and click on the bird icon to tweet a #np status update.
    • This is bring up a result screen similar to the one you get on from the Options screen.
    • From the menu on the result screen you can choose to email me the results. I might be able to help diagnose problems you see here.

Thanks,
    Kevin

I have a problem I have a Curve 8520 os 5.0 i install the app and works correctly tih only wi fi i run de network configuration and tells me works with wap 2 i try to connect to twitter in options and it works fine it connects.

My problem is that only works with WIFI when i using the data plan doesnt work can help me..
    07-27-10 09:53 AM
    Thanks i have send it
    07-27-10 11:28 AM
    It works Ive seen one thing when i activate show debug messages it works fine when i deactivated it doesnt work
    07-27-10 11:42 AM
    Hi found another bug .. Whenever you're playing a song and a notification song plays (BBM message, Twitter Notification etc) the song would stop :/
    07-28-10 03:58 PM
    How're the updates going on this? Just downloaded it, is there an eta for release?

08-12-10 10:17 PM
    As soon as I opened it, it froze up. I was able to switch out, but it's still running and I can't open it. Battery pull time

08-12-10 10:23 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD