546 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    Heeelllpppppppp!!!
    11-21-10 05:29 PM
    Heeelllpppppppp!!!
    Do you have OS5 installed?
    11-21-10 05:31 PM
    Site News:
    Well, I'm feeling rather accomplished. After fixing the Twitter feed on the News page, answering a bunch of support emails, and setting up new logins, I attacked the Wifi-Only network channel problem again. I'm happy to say that I've managed to route most of them through the stream server, so they now work on Edge and 3G as well, just like normal channels! The source seems a bit iffy tonight for a few of them (video hangs while sound continues here) but usually that eventually clears itself up.

There's still a few more hours to donate and get in on the $10 Fave login special
    11-21-10 09:13 PM
    Ummm, this may sound nieve .... I downloaded it to my 9760.
    BUT
    all I get is the home page.

HOW do I make it work ??

or is this another app that isn't supported on the OS6 ?
    11-21-10 09:46 PM
    Ummm, this may sound nieve .... I downloaded it to my 9760.
    BUT
    all I get is the home page.

HOW do I make it work ??

or is this another app that isn't supported on the OS6 ?
    OK so I am ALL new to this culture you call Blackberry ....
    It would appear from reading the above posts that I NEED OS-5 to run this.

My spanking NEW phone came with OS-6.

IF I download OS-5 will I be sabotaging my phone ?
    will the two versions run on the same device ?
    Ugh...
    11-21-10 09:59 PM

Ugh...
    Works fine on 6.0, use the links on the titlebar, TV in particular, then scroll down, then click on one of the icons, the US/UK flag takes you to the English channels, UK & USA Networks, the next icon is the World Channels, then Sports, then Film, etc
    11-21-10 11:00 PM
    What PK said. This is just a launcher, not a full blown independent app. USe the website to watch TV.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-22-10 05:25 AM

Ugh...
    And not to be a wise guy or anything, but if you are a "new" user, you don't wanna be messing with different Operating Systems! LOL
    Not on a new phone. You phone was created to run with OS6, you're not downgrading for any reason. Just take it easy. Please post whenever you have a problem or question in the appropriate threads and someone will come to your rescue! We are a great bunch here on CB!!! We will help you in any way we can! There's a lot of knowledge here. Please don't be afraid to ask for help, ok? We want you to enjoy that brand new phone!!!!

Have a great day!
    pkcable and craftedd like this.
    11-22-10 07:21 AM
    Were can I find this app seem very intresting!!!! Please help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-10 10:08 AM
    The launcher in on the first page of this thread, the actual channels are on www.yesterberry.com (as is a donations link to help pay the server cost )

11-22-10 10:10 AM
    Site News:
    Three of the network channels are down temporarily; the source is only broadcasting audio (no video) at the moment. I'm betting they fix it within the hour, but just in case they stay down for a while I thought it was worth mentioning here.
    11-22-10 10:14 AM
    Site News:

First off I'm making this post so Charred has more time to work on the server! Anyways, Charred is doing maintence on the server and the UK (and some other) channels) will be down until he is done. It's the middle of the night there and the TV options are limited so we are not missing much. Plenty of other channels ARE working including some of the US networks, except as noted in the post just above mine.
    11-22-10 08:13 PM
    query here.. for my 9700 OS6.0.0.358 it shows "Content not available. Server is blocked or unresponsive." but i got nice wifi connection. also no prob with youtube.. thanks
    11-22-10 08:37 PM
    query here.. for my 9700 OS6.0.0.358 it shows "Content not available. Server is blocked or unresponsive." but i got nice wifi connection. also no prob with youtube.. thanks
    What channel are you trying to watch? Charred is working on the server right now and as a result some channels are down. What channel are you trying to watch?
    11-22-10 09:02 PM
    What channel are you trying to watch? Charred is working on the server right now and as a result some channels are down. What channel are you trying to watch?
    hi sir, thanks for your quick response.. yeah i tried CNN international and BBC world and they're working but yeah as what you've said other channel's are down. also i want to watch nba, discoverychannel and natgeo. that's what i really wanted.

thanks a lot again sir
    11-22-10 09:18 PM
    hi sir, thanks for your quick response.. yeah i tried CNN international and BBC world and they're working but yeah as what you've said other channel's are down. also i want to watch nba, discoverychannel and natgeo. that's what i really wanted.

thanks a lot again sir
    You got to give each channel a couple tries before you give up. By nba, do you mean nbc? That channel is down right now, BUT should be back later. Discovery is working, keep trying. I don't think we have Natgeo.
    11-22-10 09:32 PM
    Site News:
    Didn't get everything I wanted done tonight, but there's been too much downtime already. I've tossed everything back up for now. Hopefully they all stay up overnight.
    11-23-10 12:37 AM
    Works great for me... Thanks
    11-23-10 12:45 AM
    Warning: This a technical / knowledge sharing post for other geeks. It may be incomprehensible to most readers; my apologies

For those that don't know, I'm the sole IT force behind Yesterberry. I designed and implemented the website/web app, accepted submissions for stream links, took feature requests, incorporated them, and provide all support. For the past several months I've also been trying to use VLC as a full-time transcoding system on our own dedicated stream server. This allows Yesterberry to accept completely incompatible streams and convert them on the fly to something we can use.

The current setup uses a Windows 2008 Server running (mainly) VLC 1.1.5, transcoding 10+ streams from primarily Windows Media format to Blackberry-compatible mobile h264/mp4a RTSP streams. Each instance uses a batch file (as shown below), triggered and run through Windows Task Scheduler as a service. When it runs, the system works wonderfully. The streams are good quality at a reasonable bitrate, and play smoothly on 3G. Unfortunately, VLC in this capacity is about as stable as Windows ME. No matter what version I use, including the most recent 1.1.5, trying to transcode a stream always results in three eventual issues:

Problem 1) The process crashes, VLC closes. The only "fix" I could come up with was running VLC from a batch file, in which I created a loop that restarts the command line each time it closes. For example:

Code:
        :Start
        del C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\vlc\crashdump
        call "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "mms://sourceurl.com/stream.wmv" --sout="#transcode{width=320,height=240,venc=x264{bframes=0,nocabac,crf=24,profile=baseline,level=3.0,vbv-maxrate=140,vbv-bufsize=1000,keyint=36,fps=18},vcodec=h264,vfilter=canvas{height=240,width=320,aspect=16:9},vb=110,audio-sync,acodec=mp4a,ab=34,channels=1,samplerate=44100}:rtp{mp4a-latm,dst=127.0.0.1,port=1020,sdp=file:///C:\streams\vlc.sdp}"
        goto Start
    This will automatically reboot VLC and restart the transcoding process if saved to a .cmd file. The crashdump line is needed because inexplicably VLC offers no way to turn off crash reporting. Of course this doesn't fix the crashing, but at least it will restart quickly on its own each time. Not a perfect solution, but acceptable enough. If this were the only problem, we could easily live with it. Unfortunately....

Problem 2) The process locks up, using all cpu time available. There's no real fix for this either, and I couldn't even come up with a workaround. Once several instances do this, it can bring all other encoding processes to a grinding halt, as the defunct threads steal all cpu cycles. The only way to minimize the damage at all is to use a program such as Process Lasso, which can automatically lower the priority of 'runaway' threads. I was hoping to find an application that automatically ended them instead, but haven't found one. Therefore this requires constant manual babysitting, watching cpu usage, and clicking End Task every time one sticks over 20% cpu (how it shows up on a quad core server). When the UK channels all start acting up, buffering, freezing, or don't respond, this is usually the reason.

Problem 3) The process locks up, and doesn't respond at all. In this case, the instance uses no cpu, but doesn't close either- it's simply frozen. When running in GUI mode, this can be spotted by the stopped transcoding timer (if the source sends a starting time stamp). When run as a service, I just have to again babysit the task manager, looking for a 0% cpu instance to End Task.

These are the three most major issues, though I've run into others. Occasionally a process will also start eating up memory while no longer functioning (spotted in task manager by the ridiculously high- and climbing- memory usage). Other times it will seem to be functioning, but constantly buffer every few seconds on the client side until restarted. And of course multiple versions (0.9.6, 1.0.5, 1.1.5) have to be kept installed since the latest version cannot properly transcode some source streams that older versions have no trouble with (VP6 Shoutcast streams, for example).

Even with constant supervision, there's still dozens of manual restarts required daily, adding up to a very inconsistent, undesirable end-user result... as well as needing me to be a 24/7 attendant. Certain source streams trigger these effects quicker than others, but they happen on each instance eventually. I've been forced to come to conclusion that while VLC can't be beat as a marvelous application for playing nearly any media file, its transcoding capability is more of an unfinished side-feature that isn't meant for long-term use.

I've been hunting for alternative software, but have only been able to locate MComm Transcode; a completely cost-prohibitive $8000+ software solution. One would think that a simple ffmpeg-based application which transcodes live streams to 3GP output would have been developed somewhere, but I've yet to find anything else that can live transcode Windows Media streams to h264. I've been feeling very frustrated by this lately. While our server "hosted" channels are some of the most popular, VLC simply does not work as a reliable solution for full-time streaming. Being out of work, I've been able to devote twelve hours a day (or more) on manually keeping things running. Soon I won't have that luxury, so the transcoding system needs to be much more professional (ie, stable) to continue.

I'm posting this not only to explain the down time and issues, but hoping someone here can offer some ideas or come up with an alternative. If there were a stable build of VLC, it would be perfect in this capacity. It seems unlikely that there are only two possible ways of accomplishing this task. As I've stated before, I was proud that Yesterberry wasn't just another collection of dead/defunct links... lately, that's what the entire main English page has been, and I find that completely unacceptable. I'm happy to pay out of pocket for better software, if anyone can find some-and if it costs less than a car
    11-23-10 02:21 PM
    I'm willing to contribute to the cost as well!
    11-23-10 02:55 PM
    Everyone using OS5 can see the channel names, as shown in my screenshots. Those using the new webkit browser in OS6 cannot, because RIM decided to throw standard html adherence out the window. I've been working on alternatives, but everything I've come up with tends to break things for the OS5 users... and there's a lot more of them than OS6. Just shoving text under the icons would create a new nightmare of ugliness, excess scrolling, and layout problems that I don't have a solution for right now. Sorry there's no fix coming in the immediate future- yell at RIM for breaking something as simple as the basic "title" and "alt-text" html code

Edit: In better news, I spent the day setting up the new stream server; the first two Yesterberry-filtered channel submissions have officially gone live (CBBC and The Vault). Let me know how they work in comparison to the others. I'll add more when I can think straight again!

Edit2: Also added Sky News. I wanted at least three channels up to test server load. By the way, this new server means that if anyone stumbles across any type of live streaming link- mms://xxxx, http://xxxxx:8020, http://xxxx.ts, rtsp://xxxx, etc- (besides embedded flash), I can convert it to BlackBerry-compatible channels on Yesterberry. So keep the submissions coming!
    Hi! here goes an official stream of the Catalonian national TV (spoken in Catalan and watched by a potential audience of 9 million people!)

the name should be TVC INT (which means "Televisio de Catalunya Internacional)

tvc mms://i2catvserver.i2cat.net/tvc_inter

thank you!
    11-23-10 03:02 PM
    I am willing as well to help contribute to the cost as well, when you get a chance could you send me a pm @ Charred.

Thnx, •Tripster•

pkcable likes this.
    11-23-10 03:02 PM
    No matter what version I use, including the most recent 1.1.5, trying to transcode a stream always results in three eventual issues:
    Maybe it's a dumb idea but what if you proactively restart your VLC instances on schedule. Like kill them all and restart every hour or so.

VLC is probably as good as it gets it terms of open source streaming software, I wouldn't say ffmpeg has less bugs but rather it has different ones.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-23-10 05:00 PM
    Maybe it's a dumb idea but what if you proactively restart your VLC instances on schedule. Like kill them all and restart every hour or so.

VLC is probably as good as it gets it terms of open source streaming software, I wouldn't say ffmpeg has less bugs but rather it has different ones.
    That was actually one of my first ideas too, but Windows Task Scheduler doesn't actually seem capable of stopping VLC processes. One of the reasons I use a batch file is so I can include a command to kill off the last instance of VLC (each instance is named differently). Even trying to manually stop instances is often impossible, and has to be done through task manager. Not sure if it's Task Scheduler or VLC (or both) which is to blame. And there isn't a real way to put timers in a batch file.

I've never gotten ffmeg to work in transcoding live streams. I'd be happy to try out a command line if you have a working one; all the examples I've seen use local files for both input and output.
    11-23-10 05:39 PM
    You got to give each channel a couple tries before you give up. By nba, do you mean nbc? That channel is down right now, BUT should be back later. Discovery is working, keep trying. I don't think we have Natgeo.
    thanks so much sir!
    11-24-10 06:19 AM
546 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD