Someone want a discounted login? IF you donate 20 I will pay the extra 5 and get you the desired login, so who's gonna step up, and get us this server and get a discounted login in the process? (And Charred I will do a special paypal gift to your email so we can bypass the paypal fees )

The way it will work is you donate the 20 and once Charred confirms he got it, I will send the extra 5 and you will get your login.
    10-15-10 08:02 AM
    Someone want a discounted login? IF you donate 20 I will pay the extra 5 and get you the desired login, so who's gonna step up, and get us this server and get a discounted login in the process? (And Charred I will do a special paypal gift to your email so we can bypass the paypal fees )

The way it will work is you donate the 20 and once Charred confirms he got it, I will send the extra 5 and you will get your login.
    Very generous of you! I will second that, and also pitch in $5. Who wants a permanent login for just $15?
    10-15-10 09:55 AM
    Well I was happy to donate the total $25 and have sent off an email with my log in information.
    10-15-10 12:47 PM
    Well I was happy to donate the total $25 and have sent off an email with my log in information.
    The requested login has been sent. Enjoy your Yesterberry!

Site news:
    I pitched in the missing money for now (hopefully someone will take our offer and donate shortly), and went ahead with the dedicated server order. This does mean that the four Yesterberry-hosted channels will go down until they're set up again. I'll leave the channel links up for now and hopefully have things running again late tonight. Here's hoping that this upgrade brings our capacity back up to where it should be! I'm excited

I'm finally treating this project like the popular web app it has turned into instead of a small hobby page. There should be no more random breakages and constant onsite tweaking- I have a full mirrored copy of the entire site running locally to work on, and will roll out complete version revisions as needed (after heavy testing first). I took the past 14 hours to give the navigation and layout code a complete rewrite. The old methods worked, but... well, everything was done incrementally. Each change and update was bolted on to existing code, rigged to work with what was already in place. The resulting patchwork job was a big reason that simple updates tended to break things, especially for the OS6 users. So I basically started over- streamlined everything, got rid of the redundant-page hacks, and went through everything line by line to fix old errors. The results are faster and use less data, though look essentially the same. I'm now working on the Faves section again, with a new (more efficient) take on how to accomplish it. No ETA on when the new version goes live, because as impatient as I am, I want to make things perfect.
    10-15-10 01:54 PM
    I'd be happy to contribute. Any developer that works with us like this deserves our support. Just donated $25 despite my dislike for PayPal.
    Last edited by dcscott; 10-15-10 at 02:08 PM.
    10-15-10 02:03 PM
    I went ahead and sent my 5 too. Lets hope this new dedicated server is a bit more stable and won't have to be reset every morning. I hate to bug Charred every morning.
    10-15-10 02:32 PM
    I contributed a little bit early in development and definitely I plan on upping the rest to $25.

The one thing that's been bugging me is the blockiness. I am running a Storm 2 on Lyric's latest hybrid. Even if I try to watch a channel on wifi with the 3g radio turned off, the video gets choppy, blocky, then freezes for a while. The audio keeps up, but the video doesn't. Every once in a while the video will pick back up and work again, but after less than 10 minutes it's back to cutting out again. I have encountered this on many different wi-fi locations including one that has download speeds over 7megs. It doesn't seem to matter if other devices are using the wifi or not. It always happens. This happens on both my phone and my wife's 9550. Is this normal? If not, what settings should I look at tweaking? For what it's worth, I upgraded operating systems last week. Before restoring any apps or data, I tried yesterberry and had the same results.

Thanks for all of the hard work, Charred!!!
    10-15-10 03:14 PM
    I contributed a little bit early in development and definitely I plan on upping the rest to $25.

The one thing that's been bugging me is the blockiness. I am running a Storm 2 on Lyric's latest hybrid. Even if I try to watch a channel on wifi with the 3g radio turned off, the video gets choppy, blocky, then freezes for a while. The audio keeps up, but the video doesn't. Every once in a while the video will pick back up and work again, but after less than 10 minutes it's back to cutting out again. I have encountered this on many different wi-fi locations including one that has download speeds over 7megs. It doesn't seem to matter if other devices are using the wifi or not. It always happens. This happens on both my phone and my wife's 9550. Is this normal? If not, what settings should I look at tweaking? For what it's worth, I upgraded operating systems last week. Before restoring any apps or data, I tried yesterberry and had the same results.

Thanks for all of the hard work, Charred!!!
    No, that's not normal. A lot of users watch for hours at a time without problems. I get that sort of thing if my connection isn't fast enough / has too much congestion, and personally don't know of anything else that would cause it. The pixelation / blockiness is caused by packet loss, where the information either isn't all getting to your phone quick enough, or isn't being processed fast enough. Does this happen on certain channels, or all channels? Perhaps another 9550 owner can jump in and describe their experience for comparison.
    10-15-10 03:46 PM
    No, that's not normal. A lot of users watch for hours at a time without problems. I get that sort of thing if my connection isn't fast enough / has too much congestion, and personally don't know of anything else that would cause it. The pixelation / blockiness is caused by packet loss, where the information either isn't all getting to your phone quick enough, or isn't being processed fast enough. Does this happen on certain channels, or all channels? Perhaps another 9550 owner can jump in and describe their experience for comparison.
    That's good news. Maybe there's hope! It's happened on all the channels I have tried, but I don't watch a big variety of them. Some channels seem to go longer before the pixelation starts than others, but they all do it for me. To be honest, it pretty much makes it unwatchable. I am in NO way implying it has anything to do with the yesterberry site. I am assuming it's my device, but would love to know what to do to fix it!

Thanks again!
    10-15-10 03:52 PM
    Site update:
    I pulled an all-nighter working on the new site revisions. It's about 95% done (everything but the Fave edit page), so I anticipate having it finished by next week if not sooner. I'd get it done immediately but my brain has turned to mush and today's the day to catch up on all the real-life stuff I've been ignoring. For you OS6 folk- I'm specifically testing all aspects of YBv2 in a pseudo-emulation to make sure that things are just as perfect as for the OS5 crowd.

We've somehow jumped literally overnight from 6,000 visitors to over 22,000 Hello to all you Yesterberrians in Venezuela, who suddenly managed to trump the UK and grabbed over 8% of our userbase! I hope things are working well for everyone across the pond.

The hosting company didn't get to the new server setup today. I'm actually okay with that, because it gives me a chance to finish off YBv2 before having to worry about setting transcoding things up. Our current four hosted channels are still going strong. All you new members, don't forget to vote for what's on next week. I personally can't wait for the Faves area to go live.

Oh, one last thing, since someone just wrote me and asked. The benefits of donating $25 or more and getting your own login to Yesterberry are:

• No more ads... ever
    • Voting area for choosing new channels each week
    • The Faves system, for generating your personal channel lineup
    • Peace of mind in knowing your support keeps Yesterberry going

Let me be clear, though- in keeping with our mission statement, all streaming content on Yesterberry is and will always be 100% free. There may be perks for those who help out with funding, but don't feel bad if you can't afford it right now. I'm well aware of how tough times are. Besides, there's still plenty of public updates and new features planned; like the radio search, added keywords, more VOD content, and more channels to add. So stay tuned!
    10-16-10 08:19 AM
    Hey Charred, there are a few channels on SBPtv that aren't on Yesterberry yet (though there are many more and better ones here ), so how do I find the link information to send you?
    10-16-10 12:10 PM
    Hey Charred, there are a few channels on SBPtv that aren't on Yesterberry yet (though there are many more and better ones here ), so how do I find the link information to send you?
    Drop me an email and we'll check it out

PS. In honor of Halloween approaching, the 1968 George Romero classic "Night of the Living Dead" has been added to the VOD lineup.
    Last edited by CharredPC; 10-16-10 at 08:47 PM.
    10-16-10 07:57 PM
    A little frustrated rant about server hosting:

Think twice before using these guys. Or just don't. I'm normally not one to bad-mouth a company because everyone's experience is different, but... this company is ridiculous. Yes, they're the cheapest. And there's good reason for that. There's a good reason for the negative reviews online, "C" rating at the Better Business Bureau, and my taking the time to write this here.

They have a server farm that they cram full of VMWare virtual machines, and sell access to each. Unfortunately the resources aren't properly managed. You can start out being able to run four transcoding stream processes, then three, and then two. When you complain, they tell you to switch to a (more than twice as expensive) "dedicated server." Once you do so, you find out that you just have access to another VPS with even less resources than the original cheap one.

I've demanded a full immediate refund, and am looking into other companies. I really apologize for the upcoming downtime of our four hosted channels, but we've wasted enough time and resources fighting with these guys. Between the completely useless Live Chat 'help,' the week+ resolution time, and the totally unprofessional attitude of everyone there, I'll probably end up filing with the BBB myself if only as a warning to others. Making more money should never be an excuse for overselling and providing poor customer experience.

*deep breath*

Okay, thanks for letting me get that out of my system. Back to working on the site code
    10-17-10 01:04 AM
    I pulled another all-nighter

The good news is YBv2 is live. Most of the changes are 'under the hood' so to speak, but you might notice a change here or there.

The bad news is that there's already a few glitches; the layout for the Fave edit page is completely messed up, and some navigation buttons are out of alignment despite hours of testing here I'm working on it right now, so don't panic. Enjoy the rest of the website and they'll be fixed ASAP.

EDIT: I think I've got all the bugs fixed. Faves now works, the navigation images seem properly aligned, and a couple other random irritants are gone. Let me know if there's any problems. I'm a little concerned with the initial loading time of the Fave Edit page, but I didn't like the idea of having multiple pages to click through either. Speaking of which, one of the added features was the addition of the requested "all" keyword.
    Last edited by CharredPC; 10-17-10 at 09:43 AM.
    10-17-10 07:33 AM
    Site news:
    Did a bunch of tune-up work today...

The login script has been redone by popular demand; your phone should now stay logged in for a month without needing to enter your login/password. Also, once you enter the Fave area, the ads automatically are turned off site-wide.

Thanks to my OS6 helper, the skewed navigation menus for webkit users have been realigned properly. I also noticed and fixed the same menu bugs for smaller resolution devices. Things should look all perfect now, everywhere for everyone!

I had an email request for the classic TV show "The Rifleman," so added six episodes up in the VOD section. The hardest part was deciding what decade it should go in, since the program ran from 1958 to 1963. It's in the 1950's category, if you were wondering

The stream servers are officially canceled and I'm awaiting the refund. Because they run such a shoddy operation, the four hosted channels are still running For once, I'm not complaining.

I've opened up Android beta testing in the Crackberry section here. If you know a Droid-using friend or relative that you couldn't convert to a BlackBerry, maybe they'd like to check it out. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

There's been some positive feedback on the Faves system already. Now that you're not constantly forced to enter a username and password, it'll be even more convenient to use. For the record, I'm still working on an improved version. There's nothing really wrong with the current one, but... I'm a perfectionist, and it could be better.
    10-18-10 01:39 AM
    Quick site news:

1. A much better Faves editor has been implemented. Once click is so much better than the previous 3-4, and now you can see at a glance what channels can be added or removed. Donors, let me know how you like it, and if you can suggest further improvements in the design.

2. The login page has been prettied up. I know, not all that important, but when you spend half an hour or more just trying to get the Submit button to align properly without using tables (as that would mess things up for Column-view folk), it becomes important enough to mention

3. I'm currently rewriting the FAQ. Yes, yes, not a page most people go to habitually, but it's barely been touched since I started this project. It's outdated, much too long, and I finally have the chance to do it now that everything's running as it should (cue the sky falling).
    10-18-10 06:20 PM
    Hello just want to say what your doing is awesome! I was meant to be asleep an hour ago but have been reading this thread!

I'm going to go download the launcher now and check it out ifnits as good as it sounds then I will definately be donating, I'm usiing a torch if its any help, if u need any testing or screen shots etc

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 06:23 PM
    Just to let u know it looks great, went on a chose the rap music video channel, buffered for a few seconds and then played perfectly!

I've tried a few other channels after that and I'm getting a message saying content is not available server is blocked or unresponsive.. I tried the rap music one which worked at first and its saying the same message

10-18-10 06:34 PM
    Just to let u know it looks great, went on a chose the rap music video channel, buffered for a few seconds and then played perfectly!

I've tried a few other channels after that and I'm getting a message saying content is not available server is blocked or unresponsive.. I tried the rap music one which worked at first and its saying the same message

Charred is working on stuff right now, or just was so that might have been the cause. Also sometimes channels will do that, just try again, or keep trying, or try another channel. Worstcase, reboot your berry.
    10-18-10 06:48 PM

Thanks for checking out Yesterberry. That sounds like a network issue. Does it work on Wifi? Also, I notice your profile says you use Orange. That could have something to do with it too, unfortunately... they like to block streaming content.

Another possibility is if you switch too quickly between channels, it can trigger a RIM bug where nothing works. Again, not something I have control over, annoying as it is. It's solved by a battery pull and slower switching next time

Let me know how you get on!
    10-18-10 06:48 PM
    Do orange really do that? Well it must have been a temp problem ad it started working again after I posted

I can't check Wi-fi at the moment as its not working at home
    10-19-10 04:03 AM
    Folks,

We are working on the server issue, BUT it's probably going to go down at some point in the near future and been down for a while, BUT rest assured we are working on getting a new better server. This will only effect 4 of the member submitted channels.
    10-19-10 08:56 PM
    Do orange really do that? Well it must have been a temp problem ad it started working again after I posted

I can't check Wi-fi at the moment as its not working at home
    Glad to hear it! If it works on cell service, Wifi should be even better.

Site news:

If you haven't been to Yesterberry lately, you missed the recent facelift it got:

And as long as I'm posting screenshots, it occurred to me that I should show people what the new Faves system is all about, and what it looks like...

If you've entered your login to Yesterberry within the past year (and haven't logged out), clicking the Yesterberry launcher icon brings you straight here, to your Faves. One-click instant access to your favorite chosen channels, and no ads!

If you ever want to customize your personal Fave selection, you use the Fave editor. It's easy to use- click the ones you want added or removed.

The Voting area is where donating Yesterberrians get to choose what our stream server is used for (because that's where the donations go). We're actually in the middle of switching dedicated server providers to get more available slots

Speaking of switching servers, bear with me a bit while the transition happens. Trust me, it's a good thing- we're upgrading from a shared-resource mid-range single core 1GB ram Windows VPS to a truly dedicated quad-core Linux server with 4GB ram. That should at least double or triple our four slot transcoding capacity!
    10-19-10 09:20 PM
    10-19-10 11:31 PM
    thanks a ton for lovely share..
    10-20-10 01:39 AM
546 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD