Oh no! Can you link your source?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    News story on the New York Post: Hang 10 facings lawsuits

Joe
    12-11-09 09:44 AM
    Thanks for the link!

12-11-09 09:47 AM
    hahha sounds like it was a scam the whole time, though they invested some money to be able to "retransmit" at all. Weird! Glad I didn't pay, guess the networks were ok with it 'till they started charging?
    12-11-09 10:13 AM
    This is what happens when greedy people try and offer free services to unsuspecting people at a premium. People get hit with million dollar judgements for giving music away...for FREE! These guys were charging!
    12-11-09 10:18 AM
    Here's the complaint from the Federal Court PACER system. Those are our Vuivision boys all right LOL
    12-11-09 10:18 AM
    Just found this on Bloomberg.com

CBS, ABC, Fox Sue Hang 10 Over TV for Mobile Devices (Update3)
    Share Business ExchangeTwitterFacebook| Email | Print | A A A By David Voreacos and Susan Decker

Dec. 10 (Bloomberg) -- CBS Corp.,Walt Disney Co.’s ABC and News Corp.’s Fox television networks sued a New Jersey company they claim is illegally retransmitting New York broadcast TV shows to mobile devices for paying subscribers.

Hang 10 Technologies Inc.’s VuiVision Retransmission Service sends copyrighted programming from New York City TV stations to subscribers paying $2.99 a month, according to the complaint in federal court in Trenton, New Jersey. Hang 10 and owner Daniel Gallic have no license for the service, according to the Dec. 8 complaint.

Hang 10, based at Gallic’s address in Warren, New Jersey, falsely claims it has a relationship with the TV networks, defrauds consumers and violates copyright law, according to the complaint, in which the networks seek an order barring the service.

The company is “brazenly offering the same type of unauthorized broadcast retransmission service that repeatedly has been considered unlawful,” according to the complaint. “Absolutely none of defendants’ revenues from that service go to the owners of the programming that defendants exploit.”

Hang 10 is illegally retransmitting programming from WABC- TV, WCBS-TV and Fox’s WNYW, according to the complaint. Disney is the world’s biggest media company, and CBS owns the most- watched television network.

Phone numbers for Hang 10 and Gallic couldn’t be located. Gallic, in an e-mail response to a request for comment, didn’t address the substance of the complaint.

New Phase

VuiVision isn’t available until Dec. 14 as it is “entering a new phase in our beta testing which requires a number of new services to be installed,” according to the Web site.

The television networks have their own Web sites, such as Hulu.com and Fancast, which post full-length episodes of shows and movies, in an effort to counter illegal downloading. The Motion Picture Association of America, the trade group for the movie industry, provides a list of sites to find movies and TV shows online legally.

“Protecting the exclusivity of broadcast programming is essential to our business model,” said Dennis Wharton, spokesman for the National Association of Broadcasters in Washington.

The broadcasters do not know how Hang 10 receives the programming, “whether off-the-air or via subscription to a cable or satellite service,” according to the complaint. Gallic has claimed that his mobile device gets programming 17 seconds after it appears on a conventional TV set, the complaint says.

Courtesy Contact

Hang 10 began “alpha testing” of the service in July and contacted Fox in October, seeking permission “as a courtesy” to use the network’s programming, according to the complaint.

“Fox informed defendants they had no authority to use Fox programming as part of that service,” according to the complaint.

Hang 10 then began “beta testing” and charging a monthly fee in November, according to the complaint.

“In response to questions by potential and actual subscribers about the legality of the VuiVision Retransmission Service, defendants have falsely claimed that the service is ‘legal,’” according to the broadcasters.

In a Dec. 4 letter, the broadcasters told Hang 10 to stop or it would be subject to willful copyright infringement, according to the complaint. Hang 10 responded that it is entitled to operate the service without consent and would restart it unless the stations “agreed to certain conditions,” the complaint said, without providing details.

Like Home

The service “allows mobile phone users to view the same content they enjoy in their homes,” according to the company’s Web site.

“Watch TV on your cell phone,” the Web site claims. “No apps, No software, No problems!”

The service works on “most video-enabled phones,” including BlackBerrys made by Research in Motion Ltd., it claims. Apple’s iPhone won’t allow it because it doesn’t stream video, the site claims.

The case is American Broadcasting Companies v. Hang 10 Technologies, 09-cv-6216, U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, (Trenton).

To contact the reporters on this story: David Voreacos in Newark, New Jersey, at [email protected]; Susan Decker in Washington at [email protected].

Last Updated: December 10, 2009 17:33 EST
    12-11-09 10:27 AM
    From the complaint:

"2. In the Copyright Act of 1976, Congress made clear that commercial
    entrepreneurs, like the defendants here, may not retransmit to paying subscribers the
    programming broadcast by conventional �over-the-air� television stations -- unless they are
    authorized to do so by the affected copyright owners."

Note the phrase "to paying subscribers."
    12-11-09 10:42 AM
    Crap, I paid a year for service!

12-11-09 11:55 AM
    I went paypal month to month no harm done here.
    12-11-09 12:38 PM
    You can request a refund from their site.
    12-11-09 12:42 PM
    It would be nice if Hulu or someone else would make tv shows / live tv for BB's

12-11-09 12:42 PM
    CBS disney NBC all filed a lawsuite against them.
    The only thing Hang 10 needs to do is call those filling suite and tell them "The Great One" said it was ok.
    Problem fixed lawsuit dropped lol
    12-11-09 12:51 PM
    When I play it on my bold, even the demos, it keeps playing no matter what buttons I try. I have to reboot just to shut it off . what am I missing?
    12-11-09 02:05 PM
    So what is happening? Should we be requesting a refund? You guys doing that or waiting it out?

12-11-09 02:12 PM
    I'm waiting till the 14th then go from there....

12-11-09 02:14 PM
    heh. Something tells me you either get your money back now, if you can, or you don't get it at all. Because Vuivision is not long for this world.
    12-11-09 08:22 PM
    I requested my $14.99 back tonight and it was refunded within an hour. I then went and purchased Vlingo with it instead.

12-12-09 12:02 AM
    heh. Something tells me you either get your money back now, if you can, or you don't get it at all. Because Vuivision is not long for this world.
    You may ne right. i just requested a year refund too. i don't want it illegally anyway.

12-12-09 05:35 AM
    i don't want it illegally anyway.
    Well let's not jump to any conclusions! The consumers aren't doing anything illegal. In fact, I think everyone here has been terribly harmed by vuivision. In fact, if CBS, Disney, etc. had done more due diligence and put vuivision out of business sooner, this harm may never have happened. And since I *am* a lawyer I think y'all should hire me to sue all of them! You've got a great chance, I'll just need a $20,000 retainer up front. You're bound to win $zillions at trial!!!

PM me for my paypal address.
    12-12-09 05:45 AM
    Ha! Oh, i didn't mean to imply the customers were doing anything wrong. VuiVision made it sound legit. Maybe it is, i don't know.

But i got my refund in 10 minutes. Happy with that.

12-12-09 05:48 AM
    Hmmm the 14th and still down....

12-14-09 09:09 AM
    Hmmm the 14th and still down....

I think you're the only one thats surprised.
    12-14-09 09:15 AM
    Just requested my refund too...disappointed. I dropped my tv service several months ago and was using Vuivision when I needed that tv fix...if a small company can do something like this why cannot some provider offer the same type of streaming?

12-14-09 10:10 AM
    yup, it was good in theory. Who knows, maybe they'll work out a deal with the networks, but I doubt it.
    12-14-09 10:34 AM
322 ... 10111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD