hey guys!

got my new storm 3 days ago after all my friends telling not to bother because of all the problems they have crashing/low battery life etc. but after reading these forums i have edited the settings and am very happy with it just got a few questions tho.

-> is there a way to turn off the blue LED even when its on bedside mode its still solid blue. it lights up my room like a bloody runway. im half expecting a 747 to come crashing down on my house.

-> also im yet to dive into the many apps there are avalible on here. can anyone reconmend some to me?

think thats about it. just wanted to drop by and say hello really and say how happy i am with my 1st ever blackberry
    05-21-09 06:12 PM
    Welcome to CB and congrats on your Storm!

If you go to Clock, press the BB/menu button, select Options, scroll down to bedside mode and where it says Disable LED: change it to yes. Although, yours is blue? As far as I know, the blue LED is only used to indicate Bluetooth being on or active. It should be red unless you use a program like BerryBuzz which lets you choose which colors it uses.

For apps:
    I really like Pandora. It's an internet radio on your phone.
    I also like BerryBuzz. I explained it a tiny bit above.
    I also really like MeterBerry. It allows you to keep track of app memory, your battery, it's temp, etc. It also lets you reboot the phone within the app without having to remove your battery. It's loaded with features.
    I also like Pattern Lock. It allows you to use a pattern as a lock similar to the T-Mobile G1. It also is crazily customizable so I won't even get into that unless you actually have it. It's great as well, imo.
    Lastly, BeeJive IM. It's not cheap, but oh boy is it awesome. It's probably the best IM app available for BB's. The only downside is that it does drain the battery a bit.

Those are some of my favorite apps.
    Last edited by savioAMG; 05-21-09 at 06:19 PM.
    05-21-09 06:15 PM
    thanks savioAMG thats done the trick
    05-21-09 06:20 PM
    Congrats on the Storm. Hop over here (http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/cr...ectory-212197/) and check out the 3rd party apps. There's a lot to choose from. Try a few out. If you don't like em, delete those and get a few more. You might want to start looking at the OS section of the forum. This phone is amazing on the new OS's.

Grey
    05-21-09 06:50 PM
    Be careful with some 3rd party apps. They eat memory like a dog eats p00p. I don't use many, but my fav's are MeterBerry (to monitor memory usage and battery life) and Stormlock (locks the screen during calls so your face doesn't accidentally press buttons). QuickLaunch is a good one for simplifying app access.

Glad to meet another happy Storm owner! Check out some threads on how to save memory and maximize the phones ability.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 07:23 PM
    Welcome to the forums, try opera mini faster browser out there. Viigo is good and youmail is very cool.
    05-21-09 08:14 PM
    Welcome to the forums, try opera mini faster browser out there. Viigo is good and youmail is very cool.
    +1 on opera mini...

But viigo ate memory bad for me.

05-21-09 08:21 PM
    Welcome to CB! savio listed some good apps that work well.
    i like iheartradio, AP news amd google maps..

Enjoy and have fun!
    05-21-09 08:21 PM
    thanks guys i'll check some of them out
    05-22-09 03:41 PM
    i didnt see anyone asnwer your question about the blue light,

the blue light is showing you that you have bluetooth enabled, easy way to turn it off is go to OPTIONS - Bluetooth -it will then show your device, mine says "jawbone" - press the menu key(blackberry symbol next to send key)- options - and scroll down a few options to 'LED Connection Indicator' and just select off.

Hope it helps
    05-22-09 06:01 PM
    viigo ate memory bad for me.
    same here... i luv that app but had to uninstall it
    05-22-09 07:25 PM
    ..curious, how low would your memory levels get guys ? Phone become non-op ?
    05-22-09 11:16 PM
    maybe it's just my experience, but i would say that the perception that having third party apps kills your phone is a misconception.

as you can see from my sig, i run a pretty large number of them, and with the .148 OS my phone runs perfectly.

what i've found through research is that the storm can run pretty well all the way down to 10MB or less of ram left. with all that i have, i usually start up around 38MB and will get down to 24 within about an hour or two but then i fluctuate between 17 and 28 steadily and indefinitely and my phone is just as responsive at those levels as when i first start up.

your phone will not work noticeably faster at 50MB left compared to 20MB, you're just wasting RAM that you could be putting to use, and versatility that you could have out of your phone that was builty to be an all-in-one solution to your needs.

what i've done just as a safety precaution is to dl quickpull (which is an app that simulates you actually removing the battery and resetting the phone) and have it scheduled to reset my phone every morning at 5AM while i'm asleep.

this way when i wake up in the morning my phone is fresh and works without any problems.

i think the keys to maintaining the performance on your phone regardless of how many apps you have are

1. upgrade your OS! the more recent OS have much better memory stability than previous ones...you can research which work best or just use trial and error
    2. make sure you close out of apps not in use, not just back out of them using the back/escape/end key
    3. use a program like quickpull to perform a soft pull regularly as a safety
    4. if using a custom theme, research it first! see how other users have reacted to the memory stability of it

if you follow those basic principles, there is virtually limitless options as to which and how many apps you can install and use

YOUR BB WAS MADE TO EXPAND WITH 3RD PARTY APPS! if you do it right, there is no reason you shouldn't let it reach its full potential (in fact that's just a waste of a phone IMO)
    Last edited by ncsttsccr; 05-22-09 at 11:56 PM.
    05-22-09 11:52 PM
    maybe it's just my experience, but i would say that the perception that having third party apps kills your phone is a misconception.

as you can see from my sig, i run a pretty large number of them, and with the .148 OS my phone runs perfectly.

what i've found through research is that the storm can run pretty well all the way down to 10MB or less of ram left. with all that i have, i usually start up around 38MB and will get down to 24 within about an hour or two but then i fluctuate between 17 and 28 steadily and indefinitely and my phone is just as responsive at those levels as when i first start up.

your phone will not work noticeably faster at 50MB left compared to 20MB, you're just wasting RAM that you could be putting to use, and versatility that you could have out of your phone that was builty to be an all-in-one solution to your needs.

what i've done just as a safety precaution is to dl quickpull (which is an app that simulates you actually removing the battery and resetting the phone) and have it scheduled to reset my phone every morning at 5AM while i'm asleep.

this way when i wake up in the morning my phone is fresh and works without any problems.

i think the keys to maintaining the performance on your phone regardless of how many apps you have are

1. upgrade your OS! the more recent OS have much better memory stability than previous ones...you can research which work best or just use trial and error
    2. make sure you close out of apps not in use, not just back out of them using the back/escape/end key
    3. use a program like quickpull to perform a soft pull regularly as a safety
    4. if using a custom theme, research it first! see how other users have reacted to the memory stability of it

if you follow those basic principles, there is virtually limitless options as to which and how many apps you can install and use

YOUR BB WAS MADE TO EXPAND WITH 3RD PARTY APPS! if you do it right, there is no reason you shouldn't let it reach its full potential (in fact that's just a waste of a phone IMO)
    Amen brother!

05-23-09 12:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD