*This IS NOT for your average barcodes but for EZcode aka 2D Barcodes*

Just stumbled across this and thought I'd share. Please replace XX in links with TT

This is BETA software that im just now playing with. the FAQ suggest 640x480 rez on cam. If you want to test it I have found doing a search for 2D barcodes and just taking a picture of my flat panel works just fine to test it out.

Found a full writeup here
    hxxp://www.blackberrytoday.com/articles/2008/5/2008-5-14-What-s-Black.html

I had to select Other Operator to get to RIM Blackberry version. I didn't see a 8310 version so I installed the generic blackberry version.

you can download from here
    hxxp://www.scanlife.com/index.html

OTA
    hxxp://getscanlife.com/
    05-20-08 01:51 AM
    Has anyone found this useful yet? I just installed it to play around with, but I don't recall ever seeing these barcodes to take advantage of.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-08 10:34 PM
    Wouldn't work on my pearl 8130.
    All it did was start the camera and take photos.
    No scanning ever happened.

Deleted.

Dm
    08-18-08 12:36 PM
    what is the propose of this app? i mean i can imagine but is it realy useful in anyway?
    08-18-08 01:10 PM
    i think i'll try it to see what the back of my drivers license says....
    08-24-08 08:21 AM
    i think i'll try it to see what the back of my drivers license says....
    Any luck?

I'm also trying to figure out where you could use this app. How about if people had their entire medical record on a card they carry around. The ER doctor/paramedic could scan the barcode with their blackberry and instantly have the medical record on the BB for review. Of course this presents some privacy concerns as anybody with a BB could access your medical file. Just thinkin out loud.
    08-24-08 06:16 PM
    Any luck?

I'm also trying to figure out where you could use this app. How about if people had their entire medical record on a card they carry around. The ER doctor/paramedic could scan the barcode with their blackberry and instantly have the medical record on the BB for review. Of course this presents some privacy concerns as anybody with a BB could access your medical file. Just thinkin out loud.
    Nah, it could work much easier than that. In an emergency, the only things I want to know are your name, date of Birth, Medical History, and any medications you are taking or are allergic to. If you have insurance and an ID number with that, that information is helpful too. The insurance companies stopped using SSN's to ID you for privacy reasons. As long as I have a name and D.O.B. in the field, I can get the hospital to pull the rest of the information I need for the report, once I get there. Also, something tells me, just because you could scan a barcode, doesn't mean your BB would automatically know where that barcode leads to.
    08-26-08 11:12 AM
    Has anyone gotten this app to work yet?

Dm
    08-26-08 02:46 PM
    What is everyone trying to do with it? I tried putting my info in as a contact, then used my BB to take an image of the barcode, and look it up. It said it wasn't able to find the barcode. Seeing as how, I just did this in the past 30 mins, I was going to give it some time to see if their servers take time to update. I will post my results when I figure it out.
    08-26-08 04:19 PM
    I never was able to get ScanLife to work. Who knows what its problem is with it. However, I did find NeoReader and it does work as intended. you can find it here on your computer NeoReader: Home or on your BB at Unable to ID handset
    09-13-08 04:09 PM
    It can be useful if it becomes something like this program for andrioid
    Android Scan: pricing and metadata for anything with a barcode
    09-13-08 05:03 PM
    It doesn't work. I tried a dozen barcodes and, nothing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-08 04:42 PM
    try i-nigma

you can get it by going to www.i-nigma.mobi from your phone browser
    12-08-08 05:11 PM
    There are a few options out there and they all have their own proprietary format which is why you may see one and scan it but it won't work for ScanLife. I think there's another company that's more popular in Japan that does basically the same thing. This is mostly a marketing application where I can scan a bar code and then have it bring up a website, or possibly text or a phone number. I've installed in on my phone and it works fine for me but honestly, I haven't seen any out in the wild that have given me a reason to keep it on my phone right now.
    Last edited by Kalifornia; 01-08-09 at 11:28 AM.
    12-08-08 05:40 PM
    Microsoft just announced at CES a version that they are promoting called "Microsoft Tag." The concept is pretty much the same but they use color coded triangles instead of bar code like images. They offer support for a number of phones including BlackBerry.

Microsoft Tag 2D Mobile Tagging Barcodes
    Last edited by Kalifornia; 01-08-09 at 11:37 AM.
    01-08-09 11:28 AM
    I found Microsoft Tag while browsing this afternoon. I loaded it and tried it out and found that it does exactly what Microsoft says it will. I created a barcode for a website and when I scanned it, the website came up on my screen. The text tag worked just as well.

This is interesting to experiment with but it does have a caveat that needs to be kept in mind. Microsoft Tag is a web based application. The phone parses the image on the Tag but the server has the information. The positive side of this is the capability of reporting.

A friend of mine is thinking of placing tags around town using a poster. When the tag is scanned the person will receive a discount coupon for his coffee shop / bookstore. He can go to his account at Microsoft to see which tags were scanned the most and be able to gauge the effectiveness of his advertising.
    01-10-09 02:24 AM
    I had scan life installed on my phone and I was always on the hunt for ezcodes but I never found one. I don't live in a huge city, but I live in a pretty tech savy city and I figured I would at least find one. Just wasn't the case. It's a cool concept but I just don't see it actively being utilized.
    01-10-09 09:02 AM
    the microsoft tag is very interesting. just tried it here at work with my contact info. going to experiment it with it a little more. obviously this does have the same problems as social networks, you need more people on it to have the technology push out. but as it becomes a more widely adopted technology, the growth could be exponential.
    07-19-09 01:40 PM
    The i-nigma joint works for me on my 8330...

I'll test out that Neoreader joint to see how it works too.
    07-20-09 05:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD