For those who wants to be on the bleeding edge on TuneIn there is 1.3 beta at Download TuneIn Radio for Blackberry

Changes log
    • (optional) Header bar, which displays battery, time, network used and signal level
    YaY!!!

Thank you!
    11-03-10 11:47 AM
    Red Button refers to the player/recorder available on the Radio Time web sight, it rocks,
    Its similar to the Tune in app but for the PC and has the ability to record shows like a DVR.
    Sadly its not free, its 30 bills, what is doing me in is I might have to drop the cheese for it, its that good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-10 02:53 PM
    you have created an awesome app. runs like a champ on my bold running the 0s6 leak. was wondering if you take requests for stations. if you do theres a radio station from jamaica pondends.com it has a mobile stream but the new webkit browser no longer plays .pls streams. if you dont still a great app which i'll continue to use. keep up the great work
    I'm not in charge of the content but you can always request missing stations or podcasts to be added using contact form at RadioTime website RadioTime: Contact Us
    11-03-10 06:08 PM
    Red Button refers to the player/recorder available on the Radio Time web sight, it rocks,
    Its similar to the Tune in app but for the PC and has the ability to record shows like a DVR.
    Sadly its not free, its 30 bills, what is doing me in is I might have to drop the cheese for it, its that good.

I don't mean to be direct here, but the last thing this app needs is stream recording capabilities. Others like Flycast have failed in being #1 because of the additional features the developers thought it would benefit from, but failed at. I reviewed that app a long time ago and it was so bad it remained in the forums and never made it to blogs. That should tell everyone something.

I've been pretty happy with what I've seen in 1.0 of this app. I'm waiting for 1.3 to go gold before I try it and see what's changed. The nice thing about this app is that it's small and light. In the end, that's all a streamer app should be. It doesn't need super features when people have been used to streaming stations via the Media Player. One thing I'd improve on this app is it's ability to properly show the stream info in the guide just like it does while playing the stream. Right now (in 1.0) what's showed as playing for some stations in the guide is not what's playing on the station... for those stations that support this feature.
    11-03-10 07:39 PM
    I don't mean to be direct here, but the last thing this app needs is stream recording capabilities. Others like Flycast have failed in being #1 because of the additional features the developers thought it would benefit from, but failed at. I reviewed that app a long time ago and it was so bad it remained in the forums and never made it to blogs. That should tell everyone something.

I've been pretty happy with what I've seen in 1.0 of this app. I'm waiting for 1.3 to go gold before I try it and see what's changed.
    Hey, thanks for your feedback I really appreciate! I do hope TuneIn will go beyond the forums but I'm not sure if there is life out there :-)
    By the way 1.3 was just released to the public so feel free to try it. Unless we see some unexpected error reports it'll be also announced through built-in updates notification.
    11-03-10 08:06 PM
    Hi Alex,

Love, love, love this app!
    However I'm having alot of streaming via bluetooth issues discussed periodically in this thread also. I've deleted my Nobex player because this is so much better, but that player had the option to click on bluetooth. Could you add this? Other than that, simply the best player for Blackberry going. Hats off to you and the staff.
    11-03-10 08:25 PM
    Just tried 1.3. Couple of issues...

1) The debug log file is still not being deleted when you uncheck the box in options. It sets the file to 0 bytes, but that doesn't actually delete the file. It's still visible when you do a directory listing on the SD card.

2) The time position in the header is a bit "off-center". Since the Storm theme puts the clock in the center of the headers for the most part, it would be cleaner to try and center the clock in the header as well.

3) (not really a big deal and I think I'm being super picky here, but I might as well mention it)... the search icon in the header kinda runs together with the text in the field. Like I said, no big deal, but I figured I'd mention it if you're looking to clean things up a bit visually.

Everything else looks good, but I'm a bit confused as to why there's options or volume control while in background and mute key use while in background. Shouldn't those just be hardset since all media apps work like that natively? I guess what I mean is, would the app benefit from some slimming down in size if you took those two configurable options out, but left the one about the volume level display since people seems to like that option? I'm just thinking out loud here... feel free to tell me to shut up.

Keep up the good work!
    11-03-10 09:28 PM
    Just tried 1.3. Couple of issues...

1) The debug log file is still not being deleted when you uncheck the box in options. It sets the file to 0 bytes, but that doesn't actually delete the file. It's still visible when you do a directory listing on the SD card.

2) The time position in the header is a bit "off-center". Since the Storm theme puts the clock in the center of the headers for the most part, it would be cleaner to try and center the clock in the header as well.

3) (not really a big deal and I think I'm being super picky here, but I might as well mention it)... the search icon in the header kinda runs together with the text in the field. Like I said, no big deal, but I figured I'd mention it if you're looking to clean things up a bit visually.

Everything else looks good, but I'm a bit confused as to why there's options or volume control while in background and mute key use while in background. Shouldn't those just be hardset since all media apps work like that natively? I guess what I mean is, would the app benefit from some slimming down in size if you took those two configurable options out, but left the one about the volume level display since people seems to like that option? I'm just thinking out loud here... feel free to tell me to shut up.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks. 1) Is a new bug not the old one :-) The log is deleted when you uncheck it but an empty one is created again when you exit the app 2) I think clock at the left is a kind of signature for BB unlike say iPhone. But seriously I tried it at the center initially but figured it looks quite unbalanced with network name at right so put it approximately where it's located on Bold. 3) I probably didn't get this one so no worries :-)

I just figured how to switch audio output so a little refresh of 1.3 is coming.
    11-03-10 10:38 PM
    Everything else looks good, but I'm a bit confused as to why there's options or volume control while in background and mute key use while in background. Shouldn't those just be hardset since all media apps work like that natively? I guess what I mean is, would the app benefit from some slimming down in size if you took those two configurable options out, but left the one about the volume level display since people seems to like that option?
    I think that the perfect application should have no options at all. The more options the app has the worse designer its creator is. However in the real world one doesn't have full control over the app environment which calls for sometimes ugly compromises. I found that some people are using volume buttons as shortcuts to launch different programs and they might prefer to turn off these in TuneIn. On Bold 9000 there is no dedicated lock button, long press on Mute is used by default instead, so some people may prefer to disable Mute use as play/pause in TuneIn as well. The worst configurable option in this app is of course "Storm2/Torch compatibility mode". Since I added this one I basically can't do any worse
    11-03-10 10:56 PM
    Lol, if I wanted no options I'd get an iphone
    I personally like to tweak the settings in my apps, cuz how I like stuff might be different from how other people like stuff.

11-03-10 11:05 PM
    Thanks. 1) Is a new bug not the old one :-) The log is deleted when you uncheck it but an empty one is created again when you exit the app 2) I think clock at the left is a kind of signature for BB unlike say iPhone. But seriously I tried it at the center initially but figured it looks quite unbalanced with network name at right so put it approximately where it's located on Bold. 3) I probably didn't get this one so no worries :-)

Come to think of it... does it really need the time in the banner? I think the banner should have the important stuff like network used (you have) and maybe battery (for those concerned about that). The thing is, I find myself in other apps while having this one in the background streaming, so the majority of things in the banner I'm seeing anyway in the other apps.
    11-03-10 11:41 PM
    I think that the perfect application should have no options at all. The more options the app has the worse designer its creator is. However in the real world one doesn't have full control over the app environment which calls for sometimes ugly compromises. I found that some people are using volume buttons as shortcuts to launch different programs and they might prefer to turn off these in TuneIn. On Bold 9000 there is no dedicated lock button, long press on Mute is used by default instead, so some people may prefer to disable Mute use as play/pause in TuneIn as well. The worst configurable option in this app is of course "Storm2/Torch compatibility mode". Since I added this one I basically can't do any worse
    lol, maybe it's just me, but I think using the volume keys to do something other then volume control is stupid.

Also, the last time I checked, 9000 and 8xxx series phones that have two buttons on top (one for power and one for mute) when you do a long-hold on the Mute button, it actually puts the phone in Suspend mode... which would not allow for streaming apps to run in the background. This is how my 8830 used to work. When in suspend, I couldn't play music in the background... even local stuff in Media Player, so the option seems unnecessary.

BTW, it seems the app has doubled in size from 1.0 to 1.3 with this sort of additional code... was size ever something you were concerned in keeping low/light? Just wondering...
    11-03-10 11:45 PM
    lol, maybe it's just me, but I think using the volume keys to do something other then volume control is stupid.

Also, the last time I checked, 9000 and 8xxx series phones that have two buttons on top (one for power and one for mute) when you do a long-hold on the Mute button, it actually puts the phone in Suspend mode... which would not allow for streaming apps to run in the background. This is how my 8830 used to work. When in suspend, I couldn't play music in the background... even local stuff in Media Player, so the option seems unnecessary.

BTW, it seems the app has doubled in size from 1.0 to 1.3 with this sort of additional code... was size ever something you were concerned in keeping low/light? Just wondering...
    I'm holding 9000 in my hands and it certainly doesn't have two buttons on the top Long press sends it into Stand by mode in which radio continues to play (unless stopped by the same button press).

1.3 -- 260708 bytes
    1.0 -- 226940 bytes

Keep in mind that 1.3 includes the database of APN settings for every GSM provider in the world, which originally comes as 150 kB XML file. To avoid actually doubling the size of the app I had to write a converter which turns it into JSON, strips unnecessary info and compresses using gzip. So yeah, I'm concerned about the size.
    11-04-10 12:05 AM
    For some reason I thought 1.0 was about 150k. Hmmm, must have been another app I installed at the same time or something.

11-04-10 12:38 AM
    Never seen such active, positive development on an application before. And have it all done right.

Thanks Alex and crackberry

11-04-10 01:24 AM
    I like the way you have the volume set up to work inside and outside the app. Comes in handy since I'm constantly switching to different apps and need to quickly get to the volume control for Tunein Radio at times. (Some songs are just louder than others...lol).

Thanks for this amazing app!
    11-04-10 03:02 AM
    Alex has really shown a lot of dedication and hard work making this app work. I sure appreciate it because I use this app every day.
    11-04-10 05:51 AM
    I have been absolutely loving this! It has also opened my eyes to a plethora of very different stations that I have never listened to before. You're on the right road Alex. The options introduced are very welcome, and look great. Not everyone would like their set up the same way that others would, so personalization is the key.

Thanks for the dedication and hard work.

Brad.
    11-04-10 06:02 AM
    Yeah, this is such a great little app!!! Alex, time to create a PlayBook version so you can be on the PB right away (and get yourself one of those babies free).

As many others have said, I love the simplicity of the app. Keep it just the way it is...no need to get super fancy.

11-04-10 06:13 AM
    Never seen such active, positive development on an application before. And have it all done right.
    Alex really should win an award, or something, for this.

If only all developers strove to achieve this level of active, engaged with the community, development of their apps...

Thank you Alex.
    11-04-10 09:05 AM
    Sorry but which is the latest version - radiotime.com/bb shows 1.3 and radiotime.com/bbb shows 1.3b2. Both are the same size. I am running the first 1.3 build.

Can you name these subsequent builds like 1.3.1 or something? Thanks!
    11-04-10 09:09 AM
    Sorry but which is the latest version - radiotime.com/bb shows 1.3 and radiotime.com/bbb shows 1.3b2. Both are the same size. I am running the first 1.3 build.

Can you name these subsequent builds like 1.3.1 or something? Thanks!
    A day ago the beta build was 1.3b1, so the naming convention changes based on small fixes Alex applies. Once he's ready to publish a build out of beta, I think he increments it by .1 and pushes out to the /bb OTA directory. Since the /bbb OTA is for beta purposes only, having a 1.x.1-9 naming convention on it might throw people off into thinking 1.3.1-9 would be better and bug free then 1.3 is, when in fact it might not be. Does that make sense?
    11-04-10 01:00 PM
    Alex really should win an award, or something, for this.

If only all developers strove to achieve this level of active, engaged with the community, development of their apps...

Thank you Alex.
    I agree.

Alex - you should be rewarded somehow for your hard work.

Set-up a paypal donation - I don't have much, but I would like to say thanks!
    11-04-10 01:05 PM
    A day ago the beta build was 1.3b1, so the naming convention changes based on small fixes Alex applies. Once he's ready to publish a build out of beta, I think he increments it by .1 and pushes out to the /bb OTA directory. Since the /bbb OTA is for beta purposes only, having a 1.x.1-9 naming convention on it might throw people off into thinking 1.3.1-9 would be better and bug free then 1.3 is, when in fact it might not be. Does that make sense?
    Exactly. The public version numbering uses two digits (i.e 1.3). However I need several beta iterations for each release so I'm calling them 1.3b1, 1.3b2 etc. Once ready to release the latest b-version becomes the public one.
    11-04-10 01:24 PM
    I don't really see how someone visiting the beta download link to get 1.3.1 would think it's "better and bug free" compared to 1.3. It's a beta download link for a reason...

Exactly. The public version numbering uses two digits (i.e 1.3). However I need several beta iterations for each release so I'm calling them 1.3b1, 1.3b2 etc. Once ready to release the latest b-version becomes the public one.
    I see that you are calling them 1.3b2 etc. but when you actually download the file it's still shown as 1.3.

It makes sense to leave the public builds as 1.3 1.4 1.5 etc. but it wouldn't hurt for beta to have 1.3.1 1.3.2 etc. and when it goes public, make it 1.4 or something.

It's just confusing, in my opinion. No big deal.
    11-04-10 01:42 PM
1,007 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD