Hey Alex,
    Things seem to be working just fine, but I wanted to let you know about some observations I've seen with the alarm.

The alarm works on my 9780 with no issues other than if I receive an audible alert, sometimes it stops playing, but for the most part it will continue to play after buffering. This is because I use an app called EveryHour by BBerryBlow which provideds an audible alert every hour and half hour. To get around this, I set it to the minute after, and have not had a problem since.

I have it set as a secondary alarm. My first alarm is a regular alarm at 4am. I set TI for 4:31am. I have been watching this VERY closely, and notice that exactly 3 minutes prior, TI will start itself & briefly flash on the screen and it is running in the backround. Then, exactly 1 minute prior to the alarm my speaker pops and crackles very briefly again. At this time I can see data arrows in the upper right hand corner. I am assuming it is starting to buffer. Then finally, the station (1010WINS) starts to play when it is supposed to.

I have closely watched this activity, and this is the case everytime. I really dont have a problem with the activation process except for the speaker popping and crackling 1 minute prior to starting to play. It makes me feel like the sudden burst may eventually harm the speaker.

Any thoughts?
    Brad.
    01-29-11 10:47 PM
    I have recurring issues with the Absolute Radio / Absolute Classic Rock / 80s / 90s / 00s (UK) feeds - most of the time, I get their "stream error message" when loading my preset (48k AAC), but after the error the correct stream plays. If I choose another stream from the menu, I get the error message and then the stream plays as normal. It's an MP3 because I can grab the progressbar and move it to the end and skip most of it

I have contacted them but received no reply. This is the only station it happens on - but I guess their "smart" use of a stream playlist is causing this.
    01-30-11 06:29 AM
    I utilize tunein to listen to my talk radio in the morning everyday. So yes this would make things a lot more convenient! Thanks!!

EDIT: Also is it possible that when it auto plays the station (or whenever you go back to any station you've been to before), that you can choose what stream you want playing by default? I prefer using the more compressed stream so it takes less network effort and bandwidth on 3G, and right now it just picks sort of whatever stream it wants

EDIT2: Alex, unless I'm going crazy, my tunein is starting on its own in the mornings for some reason. I'll go into the application switcher and next thing I know the tunein icon is there as if its running (which it is). I don't know what's causing this, but I think its been going on for a few days. Alarm function in tunein is DISABLED.
    Thanks for catching this. When alarm is set the app is scheduled to run 3 minutes before alarm time. There is no way to cancel scheduled run so even if you turn off the alarm the app still starts (and does nothing). I'll fix this in the next build.
    01-30-11 09:07 AM
    Hey Alex,
    Things seem to be working just fine, but I wanted to let you know about some observations I've seen with the alarm.

The alarm works on my 9780 with no issues other than if I receive an audible alert, sometimes it stops playing, but for the most part it will continue to play after buffering. This is because I use an app called EveryHour by BBerryBlow which provideds an audible alert every hour and half hour. To get around this, I set it to the minute after, and have not had a problem since.

I have it set as a secondary alarm. My first alarm is a regular alarm at 4am. I set TI for 4:31am. I have been watching this VERY closely, and notice that exactly 3 minutes prior, TI will start itself & briefly flash on the screen and it is running in the backround. Then, exactly 1 minute prior to the alarm my speaker pops and crackles very briefly again. At this time I can see data arrows in the upper right hand corner. I am assuming it is starting to buffer. Then finally, the station (1010WINS) starts to play when it is supposed to.

I have closely watched this activity, and this is the case everytime. I really dont have a problem with the activation process except for the speaker popping and crackling 1 minute prior to starting to play. It makes me feel like the sudden burst may eventually harm the speaker.

Any thoughts?
    Brad.
    Brad, your observations are accurate. The app creates a scheduled task to run 3 minutes prior to alarm time (it will also turn on the phone if it turned off -- that's why it needs the extra time to let everything wake up, network connect etc). One minute before the set time it starts the station at 0 volume (to let it connect, buffer) and at alarm time the volume is set to the level specified in the alarm settings. Here comes the cracking sound though. No matter what I do when the playback starts the system sets it's volume to 70% just a moment before I have access to volume control. So it plays at 70% for a fraction of second and then volume is set to zero. This can't harm the speaker but the sound it produces isn't nice so I'm looking at possible workarounds.
    01-30-11 09:16 AM
    Alex - I'm having trouble with a station that usually streams fine. The station is 104.9 The Horn in Austin. It will go all the way to 100% and then go right back to buffering.

Any way to know if it's the station or possibly something in this latest version of TuneIn?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    When the station buffers it typically means the problem on the app side. I just checked the station and it plays fine for me.

Please verify that you have "Storm2 / Torch compatibility mode" turned on in the application settings. If it doesn't help please send the log.
    01-30-11 09:25 AM
    Thanks for catching this. When alarm is set the app is scheduled to run 3 minutes before alarm time. There is no way to cancel scheduled run so even if you turn off the alarm the app still starts (and does nothing). I'll fix this in the next build.
    First off, thank you as always for the response (and quickly)! Well its later than it usually is and tunein has not started yet. I downloaded 1.6 build 112 so maybe that did something. Thanks so much!

EDIT: bad news it did start on its own again except this time I noticed it around 1030 at night. The alarm is set to 8:33pm but again it is DISABLED. Alex seems to know the problem so I'll just let him focus on a fix. Thank you again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by SpiritsFade; 01-30-11 at 11:39 PM.
    01-30-11 09:36 AM
    I have recurring issues with the Absolute Radio / Absolute Classic Rock / 80s / 90s / 00s (UK) feeds - most of the time, I get their "stream error message" when loading my preset (48k AAC), but after the error the correct stream plays. If I choose another stream from the menu, I get the error message and then the stream plays as normal. It's an MP3 because I can grab the progressbar and move it to the end and skip most of it

I have contacted them but received no reply. This is the only station it happens on - but I guess their "smart" use of a stream playlist is causing this.
    I can reproduce the problem. It's indeed related to how they use the playlist. Most stations include a list of alternative urls / stream servers in the playlist. Not all streams are working every time so TuneIn Radio runs checks for all streams encountered in station playlists in parallel and starts playing as soon as the first stream is confirmed (while collecting a few more for the case when it fails after start). Absolute Radio includes "streaming problem" message as the second entry in their playlists. Sometimes it gets to play first and after it ends the next available stream starts. I'm not sure yet how to solve this one.
    01-30-11 09:42 AM
    Brad, your observations are accurate...... This can't harm the speaker but the sound it produces isn't nice so I'm looking at possible workarounds.
    Ahh... I see. I was just worried about the speaker. You have made me feel much better now.
    i love what you have brought this to. Very pleased!!
    Thanks for the quick response,
    Brad

01-30-11 10:11 AM
    This is the best FREE Radio that I have tried! Works on OS 6 perfectly
    01-30-11 10:23 AM
    When the station buffers it typically means the problem on the app side. I just checked the station and it plays fine for me.

Please verify that you have "Storm2 / Torch compatibility mode" turned on in the application settings. If it doesn't help please send the log.
    I'm still having the same problem. I also verified I have the torch compatibility mode checked.

I sent you the log.

Thanks again Alex!
    01-30-11 01:09 PM
    I can reproduce the problem. It's indeed related to how they use the playlist. Most stations include a list of alternative urls / stream servers in the playlist.
    Thanks, it's just weird because the playlist entry for the Absolute Classic Rock 48k AAC stream looks like this:
    Code:
    [playlist]
    NumberOfEntries=2
    File1=http://aacplus-ac-48.as34763.net:80/
    Title1=Absolute Radio, Discover Real Music
    File2=http://network.absoluteradio.co.uk/core/audio/mp3/problems.mp3
    Title2=   -
    Obviously if the stream was down then I'd expect the error to play - but Absolute have historically been quite generous with their listener slots - At this time (22:30 UK), there are 18 out of 2000 listeners! If I hear back from Absolute I will post the results here.

Assuming they don't change the core URL, I could always stick that into a preset manually
    01-30-11 04:32 PM
    Thanks, it's just weird because the playlist entry for the Absolute Classic Rock 48k AAC stream looks like this:
    Code:
    [playlist]
    NumberOfEntries=2
    File1=http://aacplus-ac-48.as34763.net:80/
    Title1=Absolute Radio, Discover Real Music
    File2=http://network.absoluteradio.co.uk/core/audio/mp3/problems.mp3
    Title2=   -
    Right. What I meant is most other (i.e. not Absolute Radio) stations include alt streams in the playlist, while in this case as you pointed out the error message is included in the playlist as #2 entry. The app tries streams from playlist in parallel not sequentially to avoid long waiting if stream #1 times out (which does happen a lot with some other stations). This strategy doesn't work that well in this case.
    01-30-11 05:29 PM
    The only problems I have encountered with this app on the Style is:
    1. Mute button or the Volume up/down does not work with the device closed.
    2. When plugging in the headset, it does not automatically go to headset mode, but has to be activated from menu.
    01-30-11 07:31 PM
    I'm still having the same problem. I also verified I have the torch compatibility mode checked.

I sent you the log.

Thanks again Alex!
    Just an update Alex - I was messing around with the app and I unchecked the torch compatibility, and the station started streaming correctly again. I have always had the compatibility activated previously.

It seems like the streams quit working for me after I upgraded my OS to 6.0.0.448 on my torch, so maybe something new in the OS does not require the compatibility option to be activated??

Anyways, I'm back to full functionality!

Thanks again for your help!
    alex.gavrilov likes this.
    01-31-11 10:18 AM
    Just an update Alex - I was messing around with the app and I unchecked the torch compatibility, and the station started streaming correctly again. I have always had the compatibility activated previously.

It seems like the streams quit working for me after I upgraded my OS to 6.0.0.448 on my torch, so maybe something new in the OS does not require the compatibility option to be activated??

Anyways, I'm back to full functionality!

Thanks again for your help!
    Yes, that must be OS update, where they flipped this again... Thanks for letting me know -- I didn't expect it would turn out this way. RIM is just killing me.
    01-31-11 10:25 AM
    The app tries streams from playlist in parallel not sequentially to avoid long waiting
    OK, in that case - what about a string check to prevent a static file being played if the extension is mp3/ogg etc?
    01-31-11 10:47 AM
    OK, in that case - what about a string check to prevent a static file being played if the extension is mp3/ogg etc?
    I wish it was that simple. That wouldn't work for a few reasons -- the app also supports podcasts, which are files, some streams are cleverly named with file extension at the end.
    01-31-11 11:07 AM
    Loving this App! Running it on my BB Torch, with .450 loaded on it and it plays fine, no problem at all!

Thanks for the great app, I was looking for an app that could play my local radio!

JP
    01-31-11 01:40 PM
    how can it work without wifi
    01-31-11 03:23 PM
    how can it work without wifi
    What are your phone model and the carrier?
    01-31-11 04:11 PM
    Alex I'm running TuneIn Radio 1.6 (build 111).
    And I don't have the "Enable Alarm" box checked.
    But the app still starts and runs in the background at
    whatever time the "Alarm Time" is set at.
    Seems strange that it would start and run in the background.
    I have the Bold running 6.0 (hybrid)
    02-01-11 07:21 PM
    Where is 1.6??

02-01-11 08:04 PM
    Alex I'm running TuneIn Radio 1.6 (build 111).
    And I don't have the "Enable Alarm" box checked.
    But the app still starts and runs in the background at
    whatever time the "Alarm Time" is set at.
    Seems strange that it would start and run in the background.
    I have the Bold running 6.0 (hybrid)
    I installed 1.6 build 112 and the starting automatically has been happening less and less so give it a try

http://radiotime.com/bbb

02-01-11 11:43 PM
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to a BB, but just got a BB 9780 on Wind Mobile in Canada, and I gotta say, I do not know why I waited so long to get a smartphone! The BB is awesome!

I stumbled upon TuneIn and it was working great at first, but after I added a couple of location stations to my pre-sets, whenever I go to listen to them I get all or a combination of the following:

1) Red triangle in top right hand corner next to tunein logo
    2) 'Fetching Playlist' goes on forever and no music
    3) 'Empty or invalid playlist' error and no music

The two stations I keep trying to connect to are:

a) 93.5 The New Flow (Toronto)
    b) 92.5 Kiss (Toronto)

It was working initally - but then stopped working.

Anything I can try to fix the issue? Great little app!
    02-02-11 08:06 AM

The two stations I keep trying to connect to are:

a) 93.5 The New Flow (Toronto)
    b) 92.5 Kiss (Toronto)

It was working initally - but then stopped working.

Anything I can try to fix the issue? Great little app!
    I checked these stations and found that:

a) 93.5 The New Flow (Toronto) -- plays fine. Can you try to use Choose Stream option from menu to select stream manually? If this still doesn't work please make sure you are using the latest beta app from TuneIn Radio for Blackberry beta download and send the log to [email protected] after you try this station.

b) 92.5 Kiss (Toronto) -- unfortunately it looks like the station stopped streaming in mp3 and only has flash stream, which is not currently supported by the app. It will not work until they resume streaming in one either mp3, aac or wma.
    02-02-11 08:39 AM
1,007 ... 3132333435 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD