As far as battery goes, I get the same thing, about 15 to 18% an hour.
    Thing is that about all I've ever gotten no matter what streaming media app I'm using, be it one of the AirKast apps, Wunder Radio, or Yesterberry.
    This has been the case with both my 8530 and now the 9650, I just figure its normal.........wish it was better but that's life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes it is the nature of the beast, but I'm sure that Alex is doing everything in his power to maximize the efficiency of the program to minimize the damage.
    10-29-10 09:31 AM
    I'm having a strange issue today, I did try to report it through the app, but there is no place to type anything.

I have TuneIn playing a radio stream and I opened up my Magmic Mahjong game, all is fine except when I click on Continue to continue the game in progress, the radio stream stops. I have tried it 4 times and it happens each time. None of my other games do this while I am playing them and streaming a radio station.

When I go back to the app, the screen says "Stream Error" at the bottom.
    10-29-10 09:43 AM
    I'm having a strange issue today, I did try to report it through the app, but there is no place to type anything.

I have TuneIn playing a radio stream and I opened up my Magmic Mahjong game, all is fine except when I click on Continue to continue the game in progress, the radio stream stops. I have tried it 4 times and it happens each time. None of my other games do this while I am playing them and streaming a radio station.

When I go back to the app, the screen says "Stream Error" at the bottom.
    On CDMA phones only one instance of media player can be active at a time. If the game plays any kind of sound, that will stop all other media playback on the phone. As far as I know this is hardware limitation and would happen with standard media player as well.
    10-29-10 10:57 AM
    On CDMA phones only one instance of media player can be active at a time. If the game plays any kind of sound, that will stop all other media playback on the phone. As far as I know this is hardware limitation and would happen with standard media player as well.
    thank you. The game does have sound but it is always muted in the Options. I have several games that have sound and they are all muted (so that I can play them at work ) but this Mahjong is the only one that stops the radio stream. Very strange.

thanks for your very quick response.
    10-29-10 11:00 AM
    I posted this in the comments of the article on the main page, posting here so hopefully someone sees it.
    APN settings won't help. As long as you can browse stations, your APN configuration is fine (oh.. and CDMA doesn't require APN I think -- I probably need to detect that case and hide them to avoid confusion).

You may try to turn on "Storm2 mode" in settings, while keeping buffer size at Automatic. This helps on Storm2 a little and may work for you too. This setting only affects Windows Media streams but it could happen that most of your local stations use that format.

A question for all -- can you help me understanding compatibility with Windows Media (WM) on different phones? For now I know the following:

Storm2/Storm 9550/9530 (CDMA)
    -- "Storm2 mode" off -- no WM streams work
    -- "Storm2 mode" on, buffer size set to Automatic -- some WM streams work (example BBC Radio 1 England), some play silent* (example The Ticket 1310), some fail at start (Radio Sawa)

Bold 9000 (GSM)
    -- "Storm2 mode" off -- All WM streams work, high-bitrate (100k+) WM streams work but have artifacts from stopping for a moment every second or so

Bold 9700 (GSM)
    -- "Storm2 mode" off -- All WM streams work

Torch 9800 (GSM)
    -- "Storm2 mode" off -- No WM streams work
    -- "Storm2 mode" on -- All WM streams work, regardless of buffer size

Tour 9630 (CDMA + GSM)
    -- "Storm2 mode" off -- No WM streams work

It appears that there are issues with WM streams on CDMA phones regardless of the model but I have not enough data to confirm this yet.

* Just noticed a really weird thing. I accidentally pressed Voice Command button while testing The Ticket on 9550, which was playing with no sound there. The Voice Command app started with usual 'Say a command', I closed it and then started the stream again. It buffers and to much surprise starts playing normally (and very loud) however... volume control doesn't work! Crazy stuff.
    Last edited by alex.gavrilov; 10-29-10 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added some bold styles to improve readability
    10-29-10 11:55 AM
    Check for updates within the app came back with no new updates but when I went to site dir ver 1.2 was present. Just letting you know.

10-29-10 03:13 PM
    APN settings won't help. As long as you can browse stations, your APN configuration is fine (oh.. and CDMA doesn't require APN I think -- I probably need to detect that case and hide them to avoid confusion).

You may try to turn on "Storm2 mode" in settings, while keeping buffer size at Automatic. This helps on Storm2 a little and may work for you too. This setting only affects Windows Media streams but it could happen that most of your local stations use that format.
    Alex,

Thanks for the reply - turning on "Storm2 mode" solved the problem one time for one of the stations I couldn't previously get to play (but unfortunately not all of them). Unfortunately when I tried another station, it didn't work for that one - and then when I went back to the station it did work on, it wouldn't work a second time for that station.

It's probably something to do with whatever streaming format my local stations are using - I really appreciate your help, thanks.

(I wish they would work through the app, though...it would be really nice to have these stations available on the go with me when I'm out of town.)
    10-30-10 04:28 AM
    (I wish they would work through the app, though...it would be really nice to have these stations available on the go with me when I'm out of town.)
    Could you try this: Uninstall the app, do the battery pull, install, configure Storm2 mode and Automatic buffer and try these stations again. If still no luck please send the log from Settings (the link at the bottom). Add my address (my nickname here @gmail.com) to the recipients list to make sure I get it fast. Thanks!
    10-30-10 08:01 AM
    Alex,

Thanks for the reply - turning on "Storm2 mode" solved the problem one time for one of the stations I couldn't previously get to play (but unfortunately not all of them). Unfortunately when I tried another station, it didn't work for that one - and then when I went back to the station it did work on, it wouldn't work a second time for that station.

It's probably something to do with whatever streaming format my local stations are using - I really appreciate your help, thanks.

I've run into issues like this with the native media player on several BB models. Most notably, during several leaked versions of the Storm OS. Each time it was bogus code/bugs with the media player app and codec support that botched it. I have a feeling you might be experiencing the same issues here and it's not really the app's fault, but the OS version you're running.

10-30-10 09:25 AM
    Alex, there's a bug in version 1.0 that even with the checkmark taken out of the "Use debug log" in settings, the app still creates a log file. What's up with that?

BTW, I'm still on 1.0 because of personal preference.

10-30-10 09:33 AM
    Alex, there's a bug in version 1.0 that even with the checkmark taken out of the "Use debug log" in settings, the app still creates a log file. What's up with that?
    You right, it's a bug (it creates an empty log file if log is disabled). It's fixed in the current codebase so 1.3 won't have this problem (and it'll also delete the log immediately when one turns off the option as you suggested).
    10-30-10 12:03 PM
    Cool, looking forward to seeing that version released. Thanks for the changes.
    10-30-10 03:09 PM
    Hi there.
    I upgraded to version 1.2 but I still have the same problem. It happens on ALL stations. BTW the same stations play just fine with Nobex. I have a 8330 on Verizon. This is not a plug for Nobex - since they started running adds. I would like to get your app to work.
    Also somebody named Kyle answered when I said report a problem that I should upgrade my player. I replied that I am on a Blackberry and then no reply.
    10-31-10 10:46 PM
    You right, it's a bug (it creates an empty log file if log is disabled). It's fixed in the current codebase so 1.3 won't have this problem (and it'll also delete the log immediately when one turns off the option as you suggested).
    is 1.3 released???
    11-01-10 04:22 AM
    is 1.3 released???
    Not yet, but planned for this week
    11-01-10 04:48 AM
    Not yet, but planned for this week
    I have been having trouble getting the Cumulus stations for the Huntsville AL market to play on your app. Is that a contract issue with Cumulus? Do you not have the stream links correct?

The stations in question are

104.3 WZYP
    103.9 FM/730 AM WUMP
    92.5 FM/770 AM WVNN

Thanks for your help on this

Ray Sivley

Yeah, I tried 5 or 6 stations in my local market, none of them work. Want to believe in your product.
    All gave me a server error, or "connection to slow, or to many streaming servers"

I want to believe in your product, but if you cant fix this, I have no reason to use the app
    Last edited by raysivley; 11-01-10 at 05:46 AM. Reason: please help
    11-01-10 05:39 AM
    104.3 WZYP
    103.9 FM/730 AM WUMP
    92.5 FM/770 AM WVNN
    All these are Windows Media streams. Do they work for you using any other app (Wunderradio maybe)?

WZYP and WUMP work fine (albeit slow connection warning) here on Bold 9000, WVNN gives server error (and doesn't work on station website either).

Try to turn on "Storm2/Torch mode" and buffer size to Automatic in Settings to see if it helps.

Also maybe someone else here with 9650 or other CDMA Blackberry could try these to confirm whether issue is model- or CDMA-specific.

Thanks
    11-01-10 06:03 AM
    All these are Windows Media streams. Do they work for you using any other app (Wunderradio maybe)?

WZYP and WUMP work fine (albeit slow connection warning) here on Bold 9000, WVNN gives server error (and doesn't work on station website either).

Try to turn on "Storm2/Torch mode" and buffer size to Automatic in Settings to see if it helps.

Also maybe someone else here with 9650 or other CDMA Blackberry could try these to confirm whether issue is model- or CDMA-specific.

Thanks
    Never tried another app...I will get with the WVNN Program Director about that
    11-01-10 06:20 AM

Thanks
    YEP, that got it working, Thank you a bunch, I really appreciate it
    11-01-10 06:23 AM
    Couple of insights.....

I used to have some stoppages, but I ride the commuter rail into Boston and network connectivity can be spotty at times. But I upped the buffering to 20 seconds and I haven't missed a beat.

Also...I love getting AM radio in stereo....as the streams are the direct stereo stream. Nice having WEEI in stereo......

Loving this app.

11-01-10 06:27 AM
    Question.....if I am buffering (20 seconds), why when a mail (data) is coming in does it pause playing? Shouldn't that be what the buffer is for, in addition to dropouts?

11-01-10 06:29 AM
    Question.....if I am buffering (20 seconds), why when a mail (data) is coming in does it pause playing? Shouldn't that be what the buffer is for, in addition to dropouts?
    Do you have any audio alert, when the mail comes in? If yes, then it explains interruption in radio playback. See this explanation from RIM Playing audio in an application pauses the Media a... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    11-01-10 06:41 AM

Thanks
    I am getting an error message with WVNN now that says "Media unloaded while intializ...." Any ideas?
    11-01-10 06:49 AM
    I am getting an error message with WVNN now that says "Media unloaded while intializ...." Any ideas?
    I just tried again, now WVNN works on 9000. On Storm2 first time I got the same "Media unloaded while initializing" error and second time it worked. The error is from the phone media processor, I receive it pretty often on Storm2. Unfortunately I don't know what it means. Generally it appears that Windows Media playback implementation on CDMA blackberries is very buggy -- I spent great deal of time trying to make it work reliably on my Storm2 without much success, while the same code works perfectly on GSM devices and all emulators.
    11-01-10 07:00 AM
    I just tried again, now WVNN works on 9000. On Storm2 first time I got the same "Media unloaded while initializing" error and second time it worked. The error is from the phone media processor, I receive it pretty often on Storm2. Unfortunately I don't know what it means. Generally it appears that Windows Media playback implementation on CDMA blackberries is very buggy -- I spent great deal of time trying to make it work reliably on my Storm2 without much success, while the same code works perfectly on GSM devices and all emulators.
    Ok then, try to keep working on that

11-01-10 07:14 AM
1,007 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD