I'm getting my degree in American sign language interpreting and as such will need a tty. They can however be quite expensive! Does anyone know if it would be possible to create a 3rd party tty application?

For those who don't know, a tty is the method by which deaf and hard of hearing individuals make phone calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 08:06 PM
    Does the phone not come with this?

Green Button -> BB Button -> Options -> TTY
    02-18-09 08:11 PM
    Does the phone not come with this?

Green Button -> BB Button -> Options -> TTY
    The phone itself does not have the capabilities of acting as a TTY as it is.

TTY mode can be enabled on a phone, but unless you have a physical portable TTY that can be hooked up to the phone, TTY mode doesn't do anything. Currently, TTY's that are available from a company that Verizon partners with in such matters are 1)expensive, and 2)require a 2.5mm headset jack (which is why 2.5mm was the industry standard for the longest time).

I'm not really sure it would even be possible to create an app that acts as a TTY.... it would have to be an app that could call a TTY and be used by typing rather than voice, or perhaps an IM client that could call a TTY and act as a TTY itself.
    02-18-09 08:27 PM
    I am sure it is possible since you can have tty software run on a computer with a modem..
    why do you need a tty for your degree?
    02-18-09 08:40 PM
    I am sure it is possible since you can have tty software run on a computer with a modem..
    why do you need a tty for your degree?
    I don't need a TTY for my degree, but since I will be working as an Interpreter for the Deaf, it will be important to have a means of telecommunications with the Deaf community. Not all deaf people have cell phones or e-mail etc etc and using a relay service sucks.
    02-18-09 08:50 PM
    I'm a student of ASL and Deaf Culture (and also severely hearing impaired). Just curious - do you find that many people still relying on TTY/TTD today? They're big, clunky and not exactly portable. Even the "portable" ones you can run on your cell phone (which seem to cost about $200-$300) aren't exactly pocket-size or holster-size.

I figured most people have opted for the modern video phone and video relay services, which unfortunately still isn't much of an option for mobile phones yet.
    Last edited by ArizonaGuy; 02-18-09 at 09:09 PM.
    02-18-09 09:05 PM
    I'm a student of ASL and Deaf Culture (and also severely hearing impaired). Just curious - do you find that many people still relying on TTY/TTD today? They're big, clunky and not exactly portable. Even the "portable" ones you can run on your cell phone (which seem to cost about $200-$300) aren't exactly pocket-size or holster-size.

I figured most people have opted for the modern video phone and video relay services, which unfortunately still isn't much of an option for mobile phones yet.
    You'd think so, and for a certain demographic absolutely. But I work a lot with older deaf people and deaf people who can't necessarily afford a cell phone plan or internet service and only use TTY, so for me it would be necessary.

If I may ask, where are you studying?
    02-18-09 09:59 PM
    In my experiance:

75% of the deaf population is using E-mail, Video Phones/relay and cell phone/pager text relay as primary communication methods

10% are using faxes as primary communication methods

5% still communicating on TDD/TTY/relay as primary communication methods

10 % use friends/family as as primary communication method.

While using Text relays may be a drag (I find Video relay to be almost as good as a "hearing to hearing" conversation) it really serves a function and if Interpreters and those involved in the deaf community avoid it how can we expect Doctors/contractors/banks ETC to use it?

There used to be a dos program that could run on PCs that would allow you to call a number & create/decipher tty tones on the PC. I can't recall if it worked in Xp or not
    Last edited by Devlyn16; 02-19-09 at 12:15 PM. Reason: jsut rememebred the dos program
    02-19-09 11:45 AM
    In my experiance:

75% of the deaf population is using E-mail, Video Phones/relay and cell phone/pager text relay as primary communication methods

10% are using faxes as primary communication methods

5% still communicating on TDD/TTY/relay as primary communication methods

10 % use friends/family as as primary communication method.

While using Text relays may be a drag (I find Video relay to be almost as good as a "hearing to hearing" conversation) it really serves a function and if Interpreters and those involved in the deaf community avoid it how can we expect Doctors/contractors/banks ETC to use it?

When do you test for your NIC?
    Oh, I am by no means avoiding other forms of telecommunications. I volunteer at St. Ann's Church for the Deaf in NYC, and part of that is teaching those deaf who don't have computers, cell phones, etc. how to use them. I have video chat capabilities on my computer, and am planning on getting a video phone as well. However, the fact remains that there are those deaf that still rely on TTY (particularly in NYC and surrounding boroughs), and I feel it is important to be able to use all means of communication.

I won't be testing for NIC for another year or so, as I won't be finished with my degree until then.
    02-19-09 12:03 PM

Found this: Mobile TTY while looking for that old Dos emulator. Might be of some help in your search
    02-19-09 12:51 PM
    Found this: Mobile TTY while looking for that old Dos emulator. Might be of some help in your search
    Used the Lormar logic webpage Lormar Logic Deaf Wireless Communications, was a little choppy and slow and also left out letters and sometimes whole words but works ok. Unfortunately the i711 option it suggests can't be used for hearing to call deaf or deaf to call deaf, it only works for deaf to call hearing.

Would totally be willing to pay for a tty app!
    02-19-09 05:53 PM
    I'm honestly surprised some Gallaudet student hasn't whipped one up.

I wonder if RIM blocks the Apps from accessing the phone functions of the device.

If any of the app developers stumbel in here here is a link to a PC program that generates the tones of a TTY/TDD.

CallTTY TDD software free download - A program to communicate with phone TTY/TDD devices via a sound card or Skype
    Still looking for the free dos version that worked through a PC's Modem
    Last edited by Devlyn16; 02-20-09 at 08:09 AM.
    02-20-09 07:51 AM
    ::Bump::

Anyone??
    02-21-09 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD