Here's an article anyone with a blackberry should read.

Blackberry App Store money laundering for developers
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 05-31-10 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Added link
    05-31-10 10:29 PM
    RIM needs to get it together before they become a nextel wash-out and get bought up for their name and phones
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-01-10 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Profanity
    06-01-10 09:22 AM
    Money Laundering? Lol. While I agree with a few points in that article, just the fact that the author was really just screaming for attention. Does he even know what Money laundering is?

I agree that refunds should be available. Ive only ever had 2 people ask for a refund for an app of mine they purchased on AW and there was nothing I could do, so I ended up giving them another of my app free from Mobihand.

A place where 3rd rate developers can post buggy and faulty software, extort money from Blackberry users with no offer of refund or support when things go horribly wrong and be able to hide behind Blackberry's Terms and Conditions.
    So the author got a bad deal from 1 app and this is his conclusion of all developers posting on AW?

FAIL: They have the control to shutdown this app using the developers serial key
    Huh what? Guess that point he just decided to make up.

I am a big advocate of Open Source and when things like this happen, I remember why. Closed source systems do not work when things go wrong.
    I dont think he has any idea what he's talking about here either as that point makes no sense in the context of his article. The author also fails to mention that AppWorld is not like Apples AppStore, apps can be downloaded and purchased through other avenues such as Mobihand.

Also the author keeps calling it "Appstore". Very poorly written and factually incorrect article, but I will agree with the premise, RIM should offer the ability to give refunds.

And I pay my taxes.
    06-01-10 09:45 AM
    Okay there is no difference between a closed versus open system, but policy. For example, both the iPhone and Android have plenty of wonderful apps but use totally different systems. But because of policy, the number of apps that exist free are a lot less.

I agree, a lot of fud.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 11:12 AM
    Any blogger who posts something titled "The Truth About...." is immediately suspect.
    06-01-10 11:41 AM
    Afternoon. I am the author of the said article.

With regards to the open-source comment, yes i may have not highlighted my point terribly well there. The point is that, if it was open source, then I would be able to see what the app was attempting to do, and corrected it myself. I am a Java developer and would have been able to fix it. It is clear the original developer has abandoned the project, so why should it die when others can pick it up and maintain it.

Now, I am fully aware there are other places to purchase Apps from. However the reality of the situation is that the majority of Blackberry users do not even know excellent resources such as Crackberry etc even exist. They will use the AppStore icon that comes with Blackberry handsets and never venture out of there. Not unlike the Microsoft IE desktop icon for the "internet".

@Shao128 you note you couldn't give the people that complained a refund. That is not your fault but of the eco-system that you have to play in. That can't be right and should be fixed.

The fact of the matter is that there are many excellent apps out there from 1st class developers, however, there is no restriction from hobbyists and 3rd rate developers from producing crud that muddies the water for the rest of you.

In this particular instance, the App had no demo, no trial, and no screenshot. RIM wishes to encourage people to be able to browse, and buy, straight from the handset without having to go to a desktop and research thoroughly before hand. That is not the mobile way. The fact that we are purchasing from the trusted source, should have negated that. Not so.

The system to which RIM is promoting and providing is broken and needs to be fixed.

Thanks again
    06-01-10 11:55 AM
    Thank god you changed the unnecessarily sensationalist title... I might actually READ the article now...
    06-01-10 12:01 PM
    I'm not a developer, but God knows I've bought more than my share of applications. Personally, I agree that App World is far from perfect. I prefer to buy from the Crackberry or Mobihand site (still wish that the on-device Crackberry Super Store accepted PayPal, but...) like many others.

Whether purchasing from App World or anywhere else, I research what I'm buying and never buy on impulse. I refuse to consider any application without screen shots and, preferably, reviews.

I've bought 2 apps that didn't work out for me over the past 2 years. In the first case, the developer ended up giving me an application of equal value, which I appreciated. In the second case I didn't complain to the developer at all - a handful of the reviews suggested the problem I experienced, so I bought at my own risk. Isn't that what it really comes down to in the end?

I can appreicate your frustration, but it's important to remember that for every scam-artist developer out there, there's a hundred more hard-working people doing their best to satisfy their customers. Caveat Emptor.....

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-01-10 12:11 PM
    I think the only thing that needs to be changed here is a refund policy, that's it.

I am a developer and I think quality control begins with me. If something doesn't work for someone though there should be a refund mechanism. I don't want someone else pushing their standards on me in terms of application development.

Bottom line, if it works well no one will have an issue with it.
    06-01-10 12:31 PM
    Thank god you changed the unnecessarily sensationalist title... I might actually READ the article now...
    Looks like you won't be since the title was NEVER changed
    06-01-10 12:59 PM
    Afternoon. I am the author of the said article.

With regards to the open-source comment, yes i may have not highlighted my point terribly well there. The point is that, if it was open source, then I would be able to see what the app was attempting to do, and corrected it myself. I am a Java developer and would have been able to fix it. It is clear the original developer has abandoned the project, so why should it die when others can pick it up and maintain it.

Now, I am fully aware there are other places to purchase Apps from. However the reality of the situation is that the majority of Blackberry users do not even know excellent resources such as Crackberry etc even exist. They will use the AppStore icon that comes with Blackberry handsets and never venture out of there. Not unlike the Microsoft IE desktop icon for the "internet".

@Shao128 you note you couldn't give the people that complained a refund. That is not your fault but of the eco-system that you have to play in. That can't be right and should be fixed.

The fact of the matter is that there are many excellent apps out there from 1st class developers, however, there is no restriction from hobbyists and 3rd rate developers from producing crud that muddies the water for the rest of you.

In this particular instance, the App had no demo, no trial, and no screenshot. RIM wishes to encourage people to be able to browse, and buy, straight from the handset without having to go to a desktop and research thoroughly before hand. That is not the mobile way. The fact that we are purchasing from the trusted source, should have negated that. Not so.

The system to which RIM is promoting and providing is broken and needs to be fixed.

Thanks again
    Although I totally agree about the lack of refunds and support with appworld, you should write an article called "the truth about stupid consumers purchasing things that provides no positive evidence to purchase except a couple catchy words."

I would NEVER buy any app without pictures, or one with excessive bad reviews etc... And I have easily spent over $75 bucks in apps... have I got burned at least once? Yes. Did I start a huge rant? No. Did I expect a refund,
    No. Its called buyer beware.

You never even posted why it doesn't work or what happens when you tried installing it.

Just noticed though, it appears that app is no longer in appworld any more.
    06-01-10 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD