Hey,

Rather than get lost in the postings for your link site, I was wondering general opinions re the free program "QuickPull". I tried doing that Alt LGLG and then deleting the log to free up space, but it seems that I am always running around 12mb free space despite the fact that I have nothing of any substance running in the background. (BBMsgr, sms,mms, epocrates)
    03-31-09 05:23 PM
    Hey,

Rather than get lost in the postings for your link site, I was wondering general opinions re the free program "QuickPull". I tried doing that Alt LGLG and then deleting the log to free up space, but it seems that I am always running around 12mb free space despite the fact that I have nothing of any substance running in the background. (BBMsgr, sms,mms, epocrates)
    I don't have Quick Pull. I just pull the battery out of the phone, or do "alt, rightshift, delete" 12mb is awfully low. Before I upgraded my OS the first time, I would hover around 20mb (after a full day or more of usage), and I had more apps running.

Have you done a physical battery pull?
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 03-31-09 at 05:30 PM.
    03-31-09 05:27 PM
    Hey,

Wow, yea, 12mb is really low. How many apps do you have installed? What apps do you have installed? That list will help diagnose what's chewing up your FFM. What OS are you currently running? QuickPull is a handy little app, but I find that I rarely have to do batt pulls, but when I do it feels way more satisfying to rip the sucker out and slap it back in, haha.

Chris
    03-31-09 05:33 PM
    yes, I've done a battery pull and that puts me at Application memory free space: 18mb.
    03-31-09 05:36 PM
    The only things that I have installed since getting the Bold are Yahoo Go (not on), Epocrates (a small app), GoogleMaps(not on), and Windows Live Messenger (not on). I am running the original .167 OS.
    03-31-09 05:38 PM
    Epocrates may be the battery drainer? That just looks like a memory hog, but I wouldn't know from experience. Uninstall it, and when your phone restarts, check the memory level. That'll tell you a lot.

Upgrade your OS. Because if that program is the culprit, you're going to need more allocated memory, and you'll get that, when you upgrade. I'm on .237. and I have more than 5 apps running.
    03-31-09 05:40 PM
    Epocrates - how long has this been on the phone? Any issues before installing that? It takes up quite a bit of space. It should work fine on the Bold but it cripples the Curve. Also do you save every text message you get? If you have a ton delete them. A few things you can do to increase it but I would start there.
    Last edited by Tremortality; 03-31-09 at 05:45 PM.
    03-31-09 05:41 PM
    18mb after a batt pull on .167? thats very very low!! i'm on .167, have pandora, flycast, slacker, google maps, yahoo messenger, bbsmart alarams, watchingme,blackberry alerts, bb light, quick lauch, viband ring, and a few themes. i sit at around 18-20 mb after it settles down after a batt pull. immdieatly after the pull i'm at around 28mb. i'm betting on that epocrates program as well.
    03-31-09 05:41 PM
    Epocrates (the mediacal app?) may have a bigger footprint than you think.

An upgrade to 4.6.0.247 will make a major improvement to memory handling and stability.
    03-31-09 05:45 PM
    Epocrates is taking up 600kb. Would an SD card take care of this problem?

I did a batt pull and app free space is at 22.7 mb
    Device mem: total 859.2, Free Space 858.3mb

no media card.
    03-31-09 05:46 PM

no media card.
    Media card has nothing to do with apps, so no, it wouldn't help.

Do what Branta recommened and upgraded your OS to .247.

Try uninstalling that medical app too.

Chris
    03-31-09 05:50 PM

no media card.
    No, because apps don't install on a media card, they use the device memory.
    22.7 is still low, after a battery pull. I would upgrade. My memory, after a pull/restart is almost 50mb. After a day of usage, the lowest it's ever gotten has been around 39mb, with apps running in the background.

You should get a media card, though. For music, pics, wallpapers, etc.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 03-31-09 at 05:56 PM.
    03-31-09 05:50 PM
    Thanks all. I am going to pull Epocrates and see what that does. I have to have it on my phone so if it is the culprit I guess I'll bite the bullet and upgrade my OS.
    03-31-09 05:55 PM
    Thanks all. I am going to pull Epocrates and see what that does. I have to have it on my phone so if it is the culprit I guess I'll bite the bullet and upgrade my OS.
    I pulled it and I am up to 34.3mb so I guess I know what the culprit is. Time to upgrade the OS.
    03-31-09 06:02 PM
    I pulled it and I am up to 34.3mb so I guess I know what the culprit is. Time to upgrade the OS.
    Glad you figured it out. After the OS upgrade, you will probably gain anywhere from 4-10Mb of memory too.

Let us know how it goes.

If you need the OS and instructions to UG, you can grab it all from my Links Site.

Chris
    03-31-09 06:04 PM
    Glad you figured it out. After the OS upgrade, you will probably gain anywhere from 4-10Mb of memory too.

Let us know how it goes.

If you need the OS and instructions to UG, you can grab it all from my Links Site.

Chris
    Love your links site btw. Now I don't even want to open up the can of worms between OS .185, .237, and .247. I just want battery life and near flawless operation.
    03-31-09 06:07 PM
    Love your links site btw. Now I don't even want to open up the can of worms between OS .185, .237, and .247. I just want battery life and near flawless operation.
    Thank you!

Most people here will tell you to go with .247, so I'd say go for that.

Chris
    03-31-09 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD