TringMe is attempting to be a functional VIOP application on Blackberry via 3G and WiFi. I have been testing version 1.5.6 on my Verizon Bold 9650. I had to invest $10 for TringMe credits to see if a direct WiFi call would work. It did not. TringMe also has a call-back feature. This did work over just 3G and just WiFi, but this approach will cost money when roaming overseas. TringMe support has been very responsive, but the last response was to wait for the next update. Here are my last comments to Tringme support.
    -------
    "The problem is when making a call to a land-line from the "Call (3G/WiFi)" option, while the other party can hear me very well, I can not hear that person. I had the person keep talking for about a minute to see if the return voice would eventually work. It did not.

Background: Blackberry Bold 9650 on Verizon with OS 6.0.0.431. Mobile network was confirmed 3G [EVDO] and WiFi was active on my home network. From the Tringme menu, I can make a "Call" rather than "Call (3G/WiFi). This triggers a call-back which I can answer and the call works with sound both ways. I also noted that when on 3G but I have WiFi off, the Tringme indicator is Red with a pop-up saying "return calls not enabled". Still a "Call" works, including the call back. When I turn on WiFi, Tringme goes green, but it is in this condition that I have the problem above.

Tringme is potentially great application, so I hope this problem can be solved."
    -------
    It was to this inquiry that TringMe indicated there are some problems, and to wait for the next version, coming soon.

So, I hope for good news soon, and I will follow up with whatever news when something happens.

Jeff
    04-30-11 09:53 AM
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your patience and appreciation. Next release is due on May 3rd and we hope to resolve some of these issues faced by a few users. Are you facing one way connectivity within the network also?

To give you the background, one way connectivity in WiFi calls is often due to the restrictive firewall/NAT in the network. Our upcoming version has improved algorithms for handling such cases. Although it will provide a great fix for most users, we are still facing a delay issues with OS 6.0. This is due to internal buffering deployed by Blackberry OS and we yet to completely overcome in 6.0. We will keep you posted.

Best
    Dave
    04-30-11 12:19 PM
    Yes, I seem to have one-way [outgoing] connectivity in 3G and WiFi, and I am using OS 6. I'll test the May 3rd update as soon as I can. Thank you,

Jeff
    04-30-11 05:24 PM
    Jeff,

New version is all set to release tomorrow. Sorry it took more time than promised. Blackberry has more OS+Hardware combinations unlike iphone/android and testing is always takes a bit extra. In addition, we wanted to test new algorithms and functionalities on different makes of routers and overall it looks pretty good now to be released, even things on 6.0 OS has improved.

With this new release, we will also give away some complimentary calls for all users to try out enhanced experience. Thank you for your patience and support.

Best
    Dave
    Last edited by tringme; 05-09-11 at 11:41 AM.
    05-09-11 10:42 AM
    Well, I've now tried TringMe 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 and it is still not fully functional. Going back to 1.5.6, using A Bold 9650 with OS 6 on Verizon and connected via 3G and WiFi, a call to a land line resulted in the other end hearing me but I could not hear them. Now with the 1.6 versions above, I can hear the other end of a land line call very well with little delay, but the other end can not hear me. So, I remain disappointed. I will report whatever Tringme does next.

Jeff
    05-15-11 07:34 PM
    So, now I am up to TringMe version 1.6.3 and it is still not ready for primetime. Chat-Chat, TringMe's peer-to-peer doesn't work, but more importantly, a VOIP call, TringMe's 3G/WiFi call to a land line or other non-TringMe cell phone still does not work. I can hear the other-end person, but they can not hear me.

Background: Blackberry Bold 9650, Verizon, OS 6. Back with TringMe 1.5.6 the other-end person could hear me, but I could not hear them. This has been turned around since version 1.6.0, but two-way communication has not yet happened.

TringMe could have been the first VOIP for Blackberry as they advertise, but it hasen't happened as yet.

Jeff
    05-29-11 02:23 PM
    My problem is similar but with my BB9930 with OS 7.0. It has the same symptoms as yours. But, it works perfectly on my bb9700 both ways either OTA or wifi-direct or call back.
    Still waiting for somekind of update from Tringme on OS 7 compatibility.
    I am using version 1.6.6 of Tringme on my BB9930.
    11-04-11 06:50 AM
    Use vencall, it works great over wifi
    11-04-11 04:47 PM
    unfortunately Vencall only works for gsm. ug. I tried to download but said it was not compatible.
    11-08-11 11:43 AM
    tringme right now sucks it wants u to think is the best website and got all these cool features but it just out right dont work they collect ya money and the service sucks till they fix it then i will will give them a better review it doesnt work at all right now
    11-09-11 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD