I was wondering if there is by chance a free app that is supported by the 8130 for translation. I'm going on vacation to Munich and well I'm not the one that's versed in the language on this trip

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 01:37 AM
    Hi

Navita me I use that you will find at this address.

Navita Portais e BlackBerry

by cons I do not know if it is compatible with your blackberry
    01-08-10 02:24 AM
    BBTran OTA link

Navita BBTranslator

Both list the 8130 as being compatible. I prefer BBTran.
    01-08-10 02:29 AM
    Thanks immensely

01-08-10 03:35 AM
    No problem. Enjoy the vacation
    01-08-10 03:48 AM
    I'll try gunna be lost with the foreign language but I enjoy the chance to meet new culture

01-08-10 08:13 AM
    Have fun! I wouldn't bother with a BlackBerry app. German words can be very long, and they have more letters in their alphabet. However, their English is just fine. When you ask a local whether they speak English, you will get one of two responses:

"Little bit." or "Yes, Of course."

"Little bit" is usually good enough to communicate!
    01-08-10 08:49 AM
    Just one thing - remember both of the applications use DATA. So make sure that your BB Data plan is adequate. You do NOT want to be surprised by large bills when you return home.

Before my trip this past summer I purchased a dictionary program - does not really do phrases but the dictionaries were on the SD card. But I also did opt for Verizon's Global Data plan while I was over there.
    01-08-10 09:58 AM
    Thank you for that data reminder. Almost flew the coup and didn't even inquire about it....

01-11-10 06:15 AM
    Um, the German alphabet is the same as our alphabet with the exception of umlauts and an eszett which looks like a "B" and represents a double s (ss) as in StraBe = Strasse.
    01-25-10 12:18 AM
    Probably won't matter to the OP, based on what he is looking for, but I prefer Navita Translator. It puts a translation option in the phones menu for browser, email, messaging, etc... Really cool, imo.

01-26-10 11:32 PM
    are there any good translation apps that store a database on the SD card? Service will be spotty in some of the areas i will be traveling and I would like to have a working translator without having to carry around 2 devices.
    05-05-10 02:18 PM
    There may be some phrase dictionaries I seem to recall. For WORDS as in just a dictionary, there are a few - I've got MSDict (not microsoft). Works fine
    05-05-10 02:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD