I'm just about to change my SonyEricsson C902 for a Bold 9700, and was planning to transfer my contacts using Google Sync, as I don't have Outlook. I'm a bit concerned 'cause I've seen a few comments on here about contacts getting messed up when using Google sync. Is it actually reliable, or can it cause problems?
    Last edited by shadwellal; 05-30-10 at 07:13 PM.
    05-30-10 07:11 PM
    I'm just about to change my SonyEricsson C902 for a Bold 9700, and was planning to transfer my contacts using Google Sync, as I don't have Outlook. I'm a bit concerned 'cause I've seen a few comments on here about contacts getting messed up when using Google sync. Is it actually reliable, or can it cause problems?
    Try the device transfer in BB Desktop Manager. It will prompt you to connect both phones to the PC and will transfer (and convert) from one to the other. This has worked seamlessly for me between two Windows Mobile devices and two different Berries. If it jacks it up, you can always wipe and try another method pretty painlessly, with the phone being new (it won't wipe your old device).
    05-30-10 07:16 PM
    Thanks - but the SonyEricsson is Symbian, not Windows Mobile, so I don't think that will work.
    05-30-10 07:25 PM
    Thanks - but the SonyEricsson is Symbian, not Windows Mobile, so I don't think that will work.
    It does support other OSes as well, but not sure about Symbian. The reason I suggested it was that I had issues with Google Sync duplicating my contacts every few hours, and was unable to resolve it, after over a year of having zero issues with it.
    05-30-10 07:31 PM
    That's the sort of problem I'd been reading about with Google Sync. What I'm hoping is that a one-off sync with Google Sync when I first get the phone won't cause problems later? Then I was considering using M:IQ routinely after that -it seems to get good reviews?
    05-30-10 07:39 PM
    Who is your provider? I finally just used Mobile Backup with T-Mobile (built into the later OS builds) and it has been working well, and not stalling my BlackBerry every time it syncs. A one-off sounds like a good idea for starters.
    05-30-10 07:42 PM
    My provider is o2 in the UK. I don't think they have a back up solution that will sync the calendar as well as the contacts, but I'll look into using their service to get my contacts onto the phone in the first place.
    05-30-10 08:12 PM
    I transferred my contacts over from my Nokia to my BB using Google sync and it worked like a dream - and now my BB syncs wirelessly with my google account flawlessly - Who said "outllook" then.

Oh as for the Nokia N95 - It sits unloved in my drawer
    05-31-10 03:26 AM
    Checked with o2 - their service doesn't list Blackberry as a supported 'phone - looks like it's going to have to be Google Sync - hope it also works flawlessly!
    05-31-10 04:10 AM
    I have and have had a variety of phones & pda's on different os's over the last few years (work and personal) I have found the very best and most reliable way to maintain a good solid database of contacts and diary is to sync to MS Outlook. Currently doing that wirelessly with a nokia on os6 and a bold 9700. I can also put data across onto my wifes Windows 6 phone as I wish.

The reason is you can persuade (just about lol)any phone to sync into windows xp/outlook without affecting the data held on your pc if you select one way. That'll get your new phone up and running soooooooooo easily.

My database held in outlook was first created in the late 90's and has been kept intact since then, makes google look like an amateur

Of course if you want to then put everything onto google contacts as well, no problems just select sync from your new phone within the gmail settings.

Its so easy its unbelievable and you have total control with it sitting there in front of you irrespective of internet connections etc

Hope that helps
    05-31-10 04:21 AM
    ps should also add i use an ipaq hx4700 pda running on wm 5 , mainly as a sat nav with igo because of its superb screen, but I also sync that in now and then and its almost like a stand alone back up unit ................. just in case
    Last edited by davedit; 05-31-10 at 04:29 AM.
    05-31-10 04:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD