I've been a long time 9630 (Tour) user. With the Tour being obsolete and giving me all sorts of random reboots, I decided to exercise my upgrade option and bought a 9650 (which was essentially supposed to be the Tour 2). Now, I know that the normal path of upgrading involves using the Switch Device option in the Desktop Manager (did some searching before writing the post).

The problem in my case is that my 9650 has OS 6 on it, while my Tour has OS 5. Is this a problem that anyone has come across? Does the DM handle this for me? If there is an app conflict, what happens? (e.g., BBM in OS 5 vs OS 6). I basically would like to copy all my contacts / messages / emails / etc (everything except apps that may not work with OS 6). Since this is only my 2nd BB purchase, I'm really at a loss as to how I proceed. I plan on moving my microSD card to the 9650, since my custom sounds and such are there.

Has anyone else done this upgrade? Am I worrying over nothing? Any help and/or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Necos; 05-02-11 at 04:57 AM.
    05-02-11 04:52 AM
    Your Switch Device with DM should work. There may be some issues such as an app that is not 6.0 compatible, etc., but your basic info should move over fine.
    Necos likes this.
    05-02-11 07:41 AM
    As I mentioned in my original post, this is only my 2nd BB, so I'm a bit nervous about moving stuff over. I will do a full backup before I proceed. I'm looking forward to the new features on the 9650 (like being able to use CJK input), so the sooner I can get this done (fighting my own paranoia), the better.
    05-02-11 07:57 AM
    Also, keep in mind if you have any themes on your bb they are for OS5, they may transfer over to your OS6 bold, but you won't be able to use them. They will not appear in the themes section, BUT you will be able to see them under Options>Devices>App management in OS6.

Also, what was called 'auto text' on OS5 will not transfer over, in OS6 it is called 'word substitution' under Options>typing & input>word substitution.

Also make sure to do a full DM back up of your 9630 before switching just in case

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Necos likes this.
    05-02-11 01:25 PM
    It has been a while since I have used the device switching method but isn't there a way you can just transfer stuff like contacts, calender, and messages over? It should go from os5 to os6 just fine though.
    05-03-11 02:09 AM
    There's another thing that you guys forgot: transferring email settings. It took me all day to figure this one out, and because of it, I missed out on a very good opportunity to speak to a professor. When you transfer everything over (and yes, the switch device method does pretty much transfer everything over that it deems compatible), it transfers over your email accounts, but it does not activate them. So, you have to go into the setup program and reactivate all of your email accounts before you start receiving email. This really should be in the manual.

Aside from missing my very fun 3GTour theme (hopefully I can find something similar), and the placement of settings being very different from OS 5 (and, in the process, I've enabled my Japanese input, which has made me giggle like a little school girl, since I was so upset about not being able to do it on my 9630), the 9650 is definitely a step in the right direction. I love the trackpad (and I was very sure I wasn't in the beginning).

There are some very peculiar nuances that I've come across in OS 6:

1.) a unified "text message" mode, so that I can't send SMS or MMS without forcing it globally (I have one friend that can receive MMS, but not SMS, and this makes it EXTREMELY difficult to deal with, because some people don't have groupings for MMS, like they do for SMS)

2.) sound unification, so that there are less custom sounds to separate events (e.g., i had one tone for SMS and another for MMS, so that i could tell how important it was to look at my phone...)

Since this is the 1st 24 hours with my 9650, I'm hoping that I'll figure out a way to get around these issues. If anyone has anymore tips or tricks for me, coming from OS 5 to OS 6, please feel free to drop me a line. Thanks for the responses.
    05-03-11 05:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD