I'm a brand new Blackberry user, so when I got my Tour I was ecstatic...but the one thing that bugged me was how flaky the GPS was. Sure, it worked perfect with BBMaps and Sprint Navigation, but never worked with Google Maps and UberTweeter. Poynt seemed like a great tool, but the GPS signal always seemed to be "Out Of Service".

So, I took the time to contact Poynt and explain what was happeneing...here is there reply:
    -------------
    Hi there,

Thanks for your email.

Our developers have been in contact with RIM about the GPS chipset not being recognized on the new Tour, and have tracked down the source of the problem you are experiencing. We've developed a patch and will be releasing it in the new version of Poynt, due out shortly. Stay tuned - you will receive a notification through the app as soon as the upgrade is available.

In the meantime, you can also use Poynt by setting your search location manually. Just click on the Location Bar at the top of your screen and select New Search Location.

Please let us know if you encounter any other difficulty. Your feedback is appreciated.

Enjoy your day,

The Poynt Support Team

-------------

Hopefully more 3rd party apps are being fixed to like Poynt,
    Scot
    08-13-09 08:27 AM
    Hmm weird, mine seems to work fine...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 08:30 AM
    Cool, I hope it comes out soon. That's bee bugging me for a while.

Here is another thread on the subject in which it was determined that the Poynt problem only affects Sprint customers.
    08-13-09 10:12 AM
    I'm glad their fixing this. I was beginning to think the GPS issue was just me.
    08-14-09 10:32 PM
    Hmm weird, mine seems to work fine...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What version do you have?

I installed Poynt via their OTA tonight, v 1.3.1.29. It did not want to play nice w/ the GPS and this seems odd as my previous Tour w/ Poynt had no troubles. I think there's another version out there...
    08-15-09 03:31 AM
    Once Poynt finds a fix, can it forward it to Google so it can fix its Google maps as well for us Sprint Tour users?
    08-15-09 04:26 AM
    I just downloaded this and have the same GPS problem. My GPS works for all my other apps. Waiting for an update. This app is pretty cool.
    08-17-09 09:24 PM
    NM, working now. Version still the same as above.
    08-18-09 06:30 PM
    I just downloaded this and have the same GPS problem. My GPS works for all my other apps. Waiting for an update. This app is pretty cool.
    +1, Poynt's newest version still does NOT work with Sprint Tour. Verizon Tours have a different GPS chip, so obviously no problems with GPS lock with Poynt or Google Maps if you're with Verizon.

I use Where instead, just as good as Poynt & works with Telenav
    08-21-09 01:25 PM
    Good deal. Thanks for addressing the issue. Even with my Verizon Tour, I've noticed my WeatherBug app sucks at finding my GPS location in the same places my BB Maps or the Geotag feature on the camera works fine, so I too hope that other apps will adapt this fix.
    Last edited by elquinno; 08-21-09 at 01:56 PM.
    08-21-09 01:54 PM
    Hi Folks.

We've determined that our fix has resolved GPS issues within Poynt on the Tour. It will be available very shortly in our upcoming release.
    08-21-09 03:58 PM
    You guys should sell the fix to Google. GMaps' GPS still doesn't work on the Sprint Tour or 8330m.
    08-21-09 04:40 PM
    CAn't wait to update this fix! Thats the one thing Im missing with this app.. and my VZW buddy is all gloating he can us it..
    08-22-09 01:05 AM
    Interesting about the Sprint GPS chip. 1 thing I noticed about my time w/ the Pre was that the GPS could never really locate me very accurately. It was way off compared to my Verizon Storm and now Tour. Also, Poynt and Google maps work fine w/ the Verizon Tour, heck, gmaps will follow me from room to room in my apt!! Down to 3 meters IIRC.

Then again, I do pay $11,314.34 more per month compare to Sprint. Their turn by turn may have been a little less accurate, but I can't even afford the Verizon one and have to budget my txts, lol!
    08-22-09 02:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD