Hello Crackberry Community,

today I would like share with you the news that there is a new BlackBerry Application by emacberry.com called:

TOMPlayer for BlackBerry - [T]he[O]ther[M]ediaPlayer

TOMPlayer is a simple AudioList Player. You can open any existing playlist files (.m3u) from your device and listen to the audio files.

TOMPlayer is always storing the last active playlist, the last active track and even the position in the track. This makes TOMPlayer ideal for the playback of AudioBooks! When ever you stop listening / end the application, the next time you start TOMPlayer you can continue to listen just where you have ended.

This becomes also very handy when you have longer playlists that you can't complete in one run - even when you have shuffled your PlayList TOMPlayer will always remember the current track, position and even the last shuffle of your playlist. So finally with TOMPlayer you open any of your playlists, shuffle them and listen to the complete list over the next several days without any hassle. Simply fire up TOMPlayer when ever you like to continue to listen to your music. TOMPlayer will always remember where you have stopped listening.

Please note, that with the current version of TOMPlayer you can't create new playlists - you need to create the m3u files with a different application - like FileScout.

This is the initial Version of TOMPlayer - I know the GUI looks very plain and simple - I might going to adjust this in later versions of the application. But for now I have focused on the functionality.

To be able to open a playlist you first need to specify the directory in which your playlists are located. Once the directory is specified you can select Open Playlist from the Menu (or make use of the [O]-Key.

TOMPlayer is still BETA - so it would be great to get your Feedback concerning missing features or things that need to be improved. So just let me know! You made FileScout already a great app - so let's see what will happen with TOMPlayer

Install it OTA via (82 KB):
    http://www.emacberry.com/ota/tomp.jad

Official TOMPlayer Webpage:
    http://www.emacberry.com/tomplayer.html
    Last edited by emacf1; 10-03-11 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added OTA link (*shame*)
    tryfe likes this.
    10-03-11 12:33 PM
    This looks cool, thanks. One question - can TOMPlayer handle FLAC files (or any other codec not supported natively on one's phone)?
    10-07-11 01:26 PM
    TOMPlayer can only play back files that are supported by the device [it does not include any codec's]...
    primusd likes this.
    10-07-11 01:30 PM
    add a facility for Scrobbling and i'd be all over this. The only thing I really need from a media player is Scrobbling
    10-07-11 04:55 PM
    I tried opening many m3u playlists on my 9700/6.0.0.666. It was blank
    10-08-11 01:50 AM
    I tried opening many m3u playlists on my 9700/6.0.0.666. It was blank
    the content of the playlist have to be present on the device - so if you have playlists that are pointing to a server (e.g. via http) then TOMPlayer currently ignores this file... With other words all URL's in the Playlist have to start with 'file:///'
    10-08-11 02:04 AM
    add a facility for Scrobbling and i'd be all over this. The only thing I really need from a media player is Scrobbling
    So you like Scrobbling to your last.fm account? - this should be possible...
    10-08-11 03:18 AM
    Would it be possibly just to make it so tracks/folders can be added straight to TOMplayer rather than creating a playlist. I don't have Filescout, but would like to use this for what it offers.

Thank you
    10-08-11 09:09 AM
    You do not need FileScout to create playlists (m3u-files) - you can also create them with the build in MediaPlayer...

For sure a PlayList Creator/Editor will be added in a later Version of the application...
    Last edited by emacf1; 10-08-11 at 09:57 AM.
    10-08-11 09:40 AM
    It doesn't seem to find the automatically generated playlists only the standard created ones.

Made one though on Windows Media Player m3u but it doesn't seem to play it once I select it, but I can find it.
    Last edited by Villordsutch; 10-08-11 at 11:54 AM.
    10-08-11 11:41 AM
    ... "of course" only std PlayLists from the media player...

When you create m3u files with apps like WinAMP you have to be careful cause of the hardcoded file paths in the m3u... [I expect the paths are not translated once they are moved over to your BlackBerry (you can open the m3u with a text editor like notepad...)]

Nevertheless - FileScout comes with a free 14 day trial - so for now you simply can install it and create some playlists without spending any money...
    10-08-11 03:04 PM
    Just would like to share with you the current WIP of the GUI
    10-12-11 02:15 PM
    Will go and get it now
    10-13-11 06:31 AM
    the new GUI is WorkInProgress - it's not available (yet)
    10-13-11 07:10 AM
    How does it work? I have playlists but none show up on the TOMplayer screen. Where should to playlists be placed and what should the track paths be.
    10-13-11 02:54 PM
    How does it work? I have playlists but none show up on the TOMplayer screen. Where should to playlists be placed and what should the track paths be.
    Probably you have a Playlist that containing only links to files in the same folder then the m3u itself (relative links) - I just uploaded a new Version in order to address this issue.
    10-13-11 03:35 PM
    TOMPlayer update to v0.5.1.2 available
    Changes: New UI, AudioPath & some Fixes

Detailed Changelog
    OTA-Link
    Last edited by emacf1; 10-13-11 at 04:04 PM.
    10-13-11 03:39 PM
    Hallo Matthias!

Wie geht's, wie steht's?

I know it's early in the development cycle, but a couple of suggestions:
    1) font size options
    2) use S and R (not shift+S and shift+R) for shuffle and reset ... single keys are easier to hit than shift+key (especially when walking/running/driving)
    3) when playing a song in a playlist, an option to press a key (maybe A or F) to play all the songs in the folder of the current song and then to return to the playlist ... I have a large playlist (with each artist in his own folder) and sometimes I'd like to hear more of a particular artist and then return to the playlist

Other than that, what a great idea TOMplayer is!

Servus,
    Joachim
    10-13-11 03:43 PM
    One more suggestion: like in the BB player, let a long VolumeUp press go to the next song, and a long VolumeDown press go to the previous song.

By the way, the OTA link gives me a 404.
    10-13-11 03:46 PM
    The m3u that works from my 9900 Bold SD card has this format:

#EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:-1,File.mp3
    file:///SDCard/Path/To/File.mp3
    #EXTINF:-1,File2.mp3
    file:///SDCard/Path/To/File2.mp3

It was created with FileScout in the 14 trial period. In the FS options I was able to set a playlist folder. With FS in the directory with the mp3 files I was able menu >> "Directory as playlist".
    10-13-11 03:47 PM
    Figured it out ... the link in your post has tomplayer.jad ... the log page on the web site has tomp.jad and that works
    10-13-11 03:49 PM
    Figured it out ... the link in your post has tomplayer.jad ... the log page on the web site has tomp.jad and that works
    realized it myself - and fixed the page :-) uups
    10-13-11 04:04 PM
    The m3u that works from my 9900 Bold SD card has this format:

#EXTM3U
    file:///SDCard/Path/To/File.mp3
    file:///SDCard/Path/To/File2.mp3

It was created with FileScout in the 14 trial period. In the FS options I was able to set a playlist folder. With FS in the directory with the mp3 files I was able menu >> "Directory as playlist".
    with the new build, also the

#EXTM3U
    File.mp3
    File2.mp3

will work, when the m3u is located in the 'file:///SDCard/Path/To/' folder
    10-13-11 04:06 PM
    realized it myself - and fixed the page :-) uups
    Now the irony is that your edit was logged at 4:04 :-)
    10-13-11 04:23 PM
    Hallo Matthias!

Wie geht's, wie steht's?
    Moinsen... Gut geht's :-)

1) font size options
    Sure makes sense to add again the FontSizeChooser like we have it already in FileScout...

2) use S and R (not shift+S and shift+R) for shuffle and reset ... single keys are easier to hit than shift+key (especially when walking/running/driving)
    That was exactly the motivation to use the SHIFT combination, that you do not press this buttons/options by accident (e.g. when the device is in your pocket).

3) when playing a song in a playlist, an option to press a key (maybe A or F) to play all the songs in the folder of the current song and then to return to the playlist ... I have a large playlist (with each artist in his own folder) and sometimes I'd like to hear more of a particular artist and then return to the playlist
    Interessting - I will check, IF and what I can do about this feature request

4) One more suggestion: like in the BB player, let a long VolumeUp press go to the next song, and a long VolumeDown press go to the previous song.
    let's see if Matthias will find a way to implement it

Cheers!
    10-13-11 11:48 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD