Anyone else with a vague understanding of software engineering getting tired of this whole app debate - app for iOS, app for Android, bla bla bla? Those knocking java apps ask yourself this - why has mobile computing ignored the paradigm "write once, run anywhere"? Easy answer - too many suckers allowing this to happen and for the big corporates to make you slaves to their network/hardware/ecosystem and take all your money. This is not good for the future of mobile computing/entertainment/communication. I think it's time to start a revolution! (Ok, rant over. Sorry).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    BearSnout likes this.
    05-12-12 07:07 AM
    I agree with you. One app should run everywhere.
    05-12-12 07:25 AM
    It would be nice but not all platforms are the same. And with all the patents these company's have and law suits between them I don't see one standard for apps any day soon.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-12-12 07:36 AM
    Welcome to computing/entertainment/communication

05-12-12 07:52 AM
    All the platform or OS does is provide an app access to hardware (CPU, memory, storage, I/O, camera, speaker, etc) and a network. Nothing different about them in that regard. iOS probably winds me up the most - iphone app development kit - gotta pay for it, and only runs on guess what... Mac OS. And mac OS only runs on guess what... Apple hardware. I know this is old news, but we were really going somewhere with open source/linux, etc. Future of computing is mobile and we are going backwards, majorly.

BearSnout likes this.
    05-12-12 08:06 AM
    Monopoly in all industries, not just in tech industry, is a huge issue here in Canada. Very few people controls everything from news media to where we should pee. Same goes for UK. The Rupert Murdoch media decide which party wins in elections and most people in UK go for it.

The whole world is corrupt to the point even in universities I am forced to write my research report to benefit my funding companies NOT the actual scientific facts. For example, an oil company funds some of our research so we cannot write anything about environmental impact on our reports!!!!

Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900
    05-12-12 10:04 AM
    Monopoly in all industries, not just in tech industry, is a huge issue here in Canada. Very few people controls everything from news media to where we should pee. Same goes for UK. The Rupert Murdoch media decide which party wins in elections and most people in UK go for it.

The whole world is corrupt to the point even in universities I am forced to write my research report to benefit my funding companies NOT the actual scientific facts. For example, an oil company funds some of our research so we cannot write anything about environmental impact on our reports!!!!

Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900
    Well said.
    This is unfortunately the reality in the world we live in.

OP wrote "write Once, run anywhere".

That is a myth. In reality it is "write once, debug everywhere".
    05-15-12 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD