Hi Everyone,

I just made TinyController, an app to control your BlackBerry from your Desktop (Windows or Mac). I know there are already several apps that can do what TinyController can do, so what makes it better than other apps?

• It can use USB, WIFI, and Bluetooth connection in Mac and Windows. If you have tried other apps, you will see that USB speed gives the best experience (and other apps only support USB in Windows). Note that BlackBerry Desktop Software is needed to be able to use USB connection.
    • You can type in directly on the screen, but if the connection is too slow (for example you are using WIFI connection with very low signal strength), you can type in an entire text to be sent to your BlackBerry, you can also adjust the image quality to improve speed.
    • The price is reasonable 9.99 USD (I hope it is reasonable, much lower than other competitors that can do USB connection).
    • The license is per device, it means that you can register your device and use it from your Desktop, Laptop (Mac and Windows).

Please note, just like other apps, some BlackBerry apps can NOT be controlled from your Desktop (such as BBM Group chat). So please try it first and see if it fits your need.

You can try this software for free for 14 days, download the mobile and desktop part from:

TinyController

Then you can buy the software from CrackBerry App store:

TinyController on CrackBerry App Superstore

A little bit about me: I've written several freeware apps for Blackberry (7 in total). Two of them (tiny meter and bible plus) is on App World. You can see the complete list here: Applications for Blackberry. This is my first commercial app for BlackBerry so I am open for any criticism and suggestion.

bullguy and heplock like this.
    10-03-11 08:45 PM
    You developed this yourself? Looks pretty amazing.

Something I noticed, on my 9800 when I turn the screen sideways, TC will disconnect, I do have to keep the keyboard extended. Does not bother me much, but some peeps might be anal about it.
    10-03-11 10:26 PM
    You developed this yourself? Looks pretty amazing.
    Thanks, yes, I developed this myself (all the mobile and desktop part, Mac and Windows).

Something I noticed, on my 9800 when I turn the screen sideways, TC will disconnect, I do have to keep the keyboard extended. Does not bother me much, but some peeps might be anal about it.
    I never noticed that (my wife uses 9800), thanks for the report, I will check it tonight.
    10-03-11 10:51 PM
    Hi, I can't reproduce this error on my wife's 9800. What OS version (desktop and mobile) that you use? and which connection method? (USB/WIFI/Bluetooth?)

I'm replying in public in the hope that someone can reproduce this bug.
    10-05-11 02:31 AM
    Looks nifty. What I really want is an app to access BBM chats and groups from my nook. That I'd definitely be willing to pay $10 for

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    10-06-11 01:11 AM
    I keep getting it stuck at "loading..." on my desktop until it finally fails and says Launch4j: "An error occurred while starting the application."

I am running 64 bit Windows 7

I have tried v.1.6, 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, 1.1, and portable versions, all without success.
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 11-30-11 at 11:40 PM.
    11-30-11 11:34 PM
    I keep getting it stuck at "loading..." on my desktop until it finally fails and says Launch4j: "An error occurred while starting the application."

I am running 64 bit Windows 7

I have tried v.1.6, 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, 1.1, and portable versions, all without success.
    Hi,

This problem is because of unsupported bluetooth driver (and wasn't handled properly by TinyController). It has been fixed in 1.1.8.
    12-13-11 07:05 PM
    Man I am horrible at followup. Have long sinche changed os, did buy the app, it seemed to eiter corrected itself or it was my error, haven't experienced it since.

Btw, awesome work.......
    12-14-11 01:07 AM
    Purchased this a few days ago after using the trial. So far very satisfied.

One issue I have run across. When I switch over to Facebook (the RIM version), it does now allow me to control anything in the program. I tried to click various parts and it was not successful.

Torch 9850 Running the 7.1 Sprint OS
    12-20-11 06:20 PM
    I have been trying out this app. So far, I'm quite impressed and am considering buying it for my 9800.

However, one bug or issue i have noted: if the phone is holstered, TC will allow me to switch between open apps, update those open apps (say if new email or BBM comes in), but the controls to open and read messages or interact with the program don't work. Is this an inherent limitation in the way 'berries operate or can you work around it?

Since I generally keep my phone in the holster and connect using bluetooth, this is a problem for me. If I have to keep my phone out of the holster on my desk, then I'll just use the phone and not an app like this.
    12-22-11 04:22 PM
    I have been trying out this app. So far, I'm quite impressed and am considering buying it for my 9800.

However, one bug or issue i have noted: if the phone is holstered, TC will allow me to switch between open apps, update those open apps (say if new email or BBM comes in), but the controls to open and read messages or interact with the program don't work. Is this an inherent limitation in the way 'berries operate or can you work around it?

Since I generally keep my phone in the holster and connect using bluetooth, this is a problem for me. If I have to keep my phone out of the holster on my desk, then I'll just use the phone and not an app like this.
    Sorry that I missed this message from a month ago. But yes, this is a limitation int BlackBerry (it will happen to other similar apps).
    01-21-12 10:09 PM
    Mr. tinyhack,

I just discovered TinyController today - am running the free trial now - so far, I am very impressed!

Already, I think I will purchase the app - want to test a bit more, but seriously doubt I will need 14 days!!

And I have already mentioned it to two associates who were looking for the same type of app . . .
    01-22-12 09:11 PM
    Does anyone have any issues of memleaks or OS slowdowns after install? I installed it yesterday and after using it and not having the app run in background, my phone was awfully slow.
    01-26-12 12:23 AM
    Wow. Why has this been under the radar for so long? This should be featured !

One problem though, whenever the backlight on my BB goes off, I can no longer scroll through my bbm contacts. It can be fixed by having the program keep the backlight on but I don't imagine that making my poor battery any good.

Any fix for this?

Thanks!
    01-26-12 10:11 AM
    Still happy with the app and was well worth the investment.

One peculiarity that I have noticed and not sure if there is a fix.

When my phone's backlight is off (the screen is black) and I check a email message, the message window is blank.

However, if I check a message when the backlight is on, I am able to read the text in the email.

01-26-12 07:06 PM
    I keep getting "connection failed. Application not started yet?" error.
    Any suggestions?
    TIA
    01-26-12 08:56 PM
    Ok, I figured it out.
    I really like it. Love, love, love being able to use PC keyboard instead of thumbs to BBM.

Two things:
    1. Can't get it to see my SMS contacts
    2. It won't see my device once the screenlock comes on or backlight goes out.
    01-26-12 09:06 PM
    Ok, I figured it out.
    I really like it. Love, love, love being able to use PC keyboard instead of thumbs to BBM.

Two things:
    1. Can't get it to see my SMS contacts
    2. It won't see my device once the screenlock comes on or backlight goes out.
    Hey cntry . .

I am not having the SMS contacts problem - only problem I am having is when you type the 0 (zero) key on the PC keyboard, it enters a ? instead on the device - have reported it to Yohanes.

Regarding the backlight problem - I use a free utility that has been around forever - BBLight - lets you control backlight in a number of situations - I have it set to keep the backlight on whenever the device is getting power (over USB or charger)

Here is a link - you will find a sub-link to an OTA or ZIP for desktop installation:

Free app: BBLight v1.95 is a backlight app that adds vibrate+ring to your BlackBerry | BlackBerryRocks.com
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-28-12 09:41 AM
    Hey cntry . .

I am not having the SMS contacts problem - only problem I am having is when you type the 0 (zero) key on the PC keyboard, it enters a ? instead on the device - have reported it to Yohanes.

Regarding the backlight problem - I use a free utility that has been around forever - BBLight - lets you control backlight in a number of situations - I have it set to keep the backlight on whenever the device is getting power (over USB or charger)

Here is a link - you will find a sub-link to an OTA or ZIP for desktop installation:

Free app: BBLight v1.95 is a backlight app that adds vibrate+ring to your BlackBerry | BlackBerryRocks.com
    Hey thanks so much, don. I'll be sure to check that out!!
    01-29-12 01:28 AM
    Hey cntry . .

Is anyone else using TinyController having the same "0 key types a ?" issue? If yes, what OS are you using?
    01-29-12 09:10 AM
    Is anyone else using TinyController having the same "0 key types a ?" issue? If yes, what OS are you using?
    I am having the same issue as well.... 7.1.0.163
    01-29-12 11:40 PM
    No one on the memleaks/battery drain issue?
    01-30-12 12:59 AM
    I'm looking to purchase either this or the other. I like this one, but the one thing holding me up that I noticed in the trial was that when I open emails, I can't see anything within that email. Is this a regular problem or specific to me?

Also, is there any way to make the actual bb screen on the pc smaller because mine does not fit in the TC window; it's too big.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Rob
    01-30-12 08:45 AM
    Hey cntry . .

Hi, I am still working on it. I can confirm that this doesn't happen to all devices.

Actually, TinyController has this option, in the Desktop, Settings -> Misc -> Keep Backlight ON (it will send wake up signal every few minutes).

The reason that it is not default is that in some OS version, you can turn off the backlight and everything still works fine. On other os versions, the mail becomes blank, and on other versions, you can't control anything.
    02-03-12 03:21 AM
    I'm looking to purchase either this or the other. I like this one, but the one thing holding me up that I noticed in the trial was that when I open emails, I can't see anything within that email. Is this a regular problem or specific to me?
    It only happens when backlight is off in some device version. Try activating Setings -> Misc -> Keep Backlight ON.

Also, is there any way to make the actual bb screen on the pc smaller because mine does not fit in the TC window; it's too big.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Rob
    Try activating Setings -> Misc -> Scale screen to window size.
    02-03-12 03:23 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD