I am looking for an app that will sync my BB and my contact/calendar. I use Mozilla Thunderbird with the additional calendar add on. Everything I see uses Outlook (or another program I am unfamiliar with) -- anyone have a solution?
    07-21-09 09:09 PM
    get the addon from the mozilla site called Zindus which will sync your contacts to google and also change the path of your calendar in thunderbird to link with google calendar then sync all that to your bb. Viola. Easy as pie. You will also need the plugin called Provider for Google Calendar for bidirectional syncing.
    07-21-09 09:16 PM
    I don't use gmail, so I downloaded a free beta program: Funambol's push email and its Mozilla Plug-in. Thunderbird doesn't actually work as an independent email server, so you should be able to get your email on your phone already, but if you have multiple email addresses going into your Thunderbird account (as I do) Funambol can handle these, both POP and IMAP, so it is just the same as importing them into Thunderbird.

Funambol's mozilla plug-in lets you sync your contacts, tasks and calendar from Thunderbird (or Sunbird). You do need to download and configure Funambol first and then the Mozilla plug-in. I just did this last night after searching for a month for a solution that would allow me to keep my Thunderbird/Lightning.

The one real drawback I have found is that there is no way I have found to delete messages only once--since it is going through the original source, it is not considering the Thunderbird message when deleting. I hope they will work to fix this. My main concern was being able to keep my Lightning Calendar/tasks, and also not to have to go through the double sync option of gmail/gcalender.

You can find Funambol's sync and email client at
    myFUNAMBOL Portal

Their information website starts at:
    https://www.forge.funambol.org/learn/

The mozilla client is at:
    https://mozilla-plugin.forge.funambol.org/
    (you will need to register and log in to download as it is in beta)

I have the Pearl Flip 8230 running OS 4.7 and I have had no problems at all--except with the program limitation I already described. Of course there are inherent risks with using any program in beta form but like I said, I've spent a month looking for other options without luck. I am so far extremely happy.

Good luck in your search! Mozillans unite!
    07-24-09 12:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD