I've been having an argument with a developer about his product and I'm at a loss about what to do. I've kept all the emails that have been sent, as now he's threatened me with advising Blackberry. 1. The product wasn't as described - his story I'm not reading the instructions (for a theme??). 2. When I called him on his lack of support and that it was going to reflect in my review the response was, "I'll just remove your bad review and block your email'. When I used a different email to quote his ad for the theme, he's saying I missed information. (C'mon, it's not written in Cyrillic, or Greek). When I called RIM on this, they said that yes, he can remove the review. Wow - how honest is that? My question is : what can be done in this situation? There isn't anyone to contact, I'm not going to slander him in forums just to try to make myself feel better, and now he's threatening me?
    03-15-11 10:24 PM
    So, you purchased a theme in App World, and it's not working for you?
    That's not cool that he isn't willing to help you, and would remove your review. If it's an honest review of the product, it doesn't seem like they would allow that.
    I don't understand how he's threatening you though. What's he saying he can do, besides remove a review you post?
    03-15-11 10:46 PM
    I don't know who developer is,but I've had customers who email me being all high and mighty. Those people I don't treat nice.... You sure you didn't do the same thing to this developer?

If the review is over the top ... RIM will remove it.
    What's that old expression? "You get more bees with honey?" Anyways why don't you try the guy one more time. Apologize for your part of the argument, and ask for a refund, or some other resolution to your problem. Try the nice approach. If that does not work, then write the guy off, it's just not worth it. It's only a couple bucks. I KNOW I KNOW the principle, BUT it's only a couple bucks, save your battles for bigger things, TRUST me on this. If it's REAL REAL important to you, you can detail your expierences here in a calm NON ranting way, BUT like I said, it's probably not worth the effort. Consider it a lesson learned and move on.
    03-15-11 11:32 PM
    What's that old expression? "You get more bees with honey?" Anyways why don't you try the guy one more time. Apologize for your part of the argument, and ask for a refund, or some other resolution to your problem. Try the nice approach. If that does not work, then write the guy off, it's just not worth it. It's only a couple bucks. I KNOW I KNOW the principle, BUT it's only a couple bucks, save your battles for bigger things, TRUST me on this. If it's REAL REAL important to you, you can detail your expierences here in a calm NON ranting way, BUT like I said, it's probably not worth the effort. Consider it a lesson learned and move on.
    Thank you both for your response. Yes, I'll admit that I was a bit put off by his one-liner response to my request for support and may have been a bit over enthusiastic in my subsequent email to him. I've dealt with poor customer service over the years, and am always surprised (read naive) when I get this kind of response. However, to have said that a review would be removed because it is a bad one irks me. I called RIM and found out that yes, someone can remove a negative review which I found amazing. That there aren't any options for the consumer, or consequences for the developer is also what bothers me. I did consider the whole 'point of it all' (principle), and to just let it go, but when I sent a response detailing his ad on app world, and then was told that he was going to block my email and report me to Blackberry, it became more than just principle.
    03-16-11 03:22 PM
    To be exact, developers can request that a review be removed. That request will go to App World's staff for review. Ultimately, RIM staff will decide whether to honor that request. If you submit a negative review that is reasonable and not abusive, your review may stick in spite of the developer's request.
    03-16-11 07:23 PM
    It's not worth the amount of time and aggravation spent for 1 theme purchase...

That and by telling him what you are going to do ahead of time instead of just doing it, you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot...
    03-16-11 07:27 PM
    I say you take your review and post it everywhere, make sure we know detail of what happened to you and your experience as well as the dev who may have had other issues in the past.
    03-17-11 03:46 PM
    I'd burn his house down but that's just me. Somebody rips me off for a couple of bucks and they're going down.
    03-18-11 07:00 AM
    I say you take your review and post it everywhere, make sure we know detail of what happened to you and your experience as well as the dev who may have had other issues in the past.
    Like I said, you MAY post your experience here. HOWEVER I still suggest you contact the developer 1 last time and give him/her a chance to make it right. Often times these guys are a one man (or 1 woman) shop, and NOT a big company, and they get overwhelmed easily. Perhaps he/she was having a bad day. Again like I said you attract more bees with honey. Try the nice approach, and if that fails, they feel free to post your bad experience here for all to see. But perhaps you'll be posting a happy ending instead.
    03-18-11 09:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD