Figured i would post this here to reach more devs.....
    With the new Storm 2 right around the corner, how do us plain old Storm owners know that the apps we purchase today are going to work on the Storm 2? I for one am going to be a little hesitant to plunk down any more cash on apps that i might not be able to use in a few months. Can we be assured of compatability?
    05-21-09 03:23 PM
    I don't think anybody would know yet until we see the OS the storm 2 runs and how it differs from the originals software.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 03:26 PM
    The Storm 2 appears to be no different than the current Storm. Sure, it looks a bit different and may have a newer OS or something but it'd be like comparing two like-blackberries. Most of the software for non-touch blackberry devices works on other non-touch blackberry devices... At least if the screen is the same size. That's just what I think at least.
    05-21-09 03:27 PM
    The thing that worries me is the accessories. Does it use the same charging cradle,leather case,battery, ect.

05-21-09 03:42 PM
    Applications are forward compatible. For example, an application compiled against OS version 4.6 is compatible with version 4.6 or newer. I highly doubt RIM will change this.
    05-21-09 03:52 PM
    The thing that worries me is the accessories. Does it use the same charging cradle,leather case,battery, ect.

It looks to be a bit thinner, so leather case shouldnt be a problem, as well as the charging cradle, now the battery could possibly be a different one. But if it doesnt supply more than that shouldnt be an issue either.
    05-21-09 03:53 PM
    I *really* doubt the Storm 2 will be that different from the original when it comes to developing. RIM's API does a very good job of encapsulating all the hardware interfaces. Did you know that handling a bluetooth puck GPS is no different to program for than a built in GPS? I think that's pretty cool. RIM knows how to make things easy for devs.
    05-21-09 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD