Is there a comic book app where one can read comics on their black berry like they do on their pc with CBR? that would be insanely awesome. If not is anyone interested in creating such a app? I mean arent we all pretty much nerds here? I think it would sell a lot in the app world.
    03-19-09 04:10 PM
    Not right now there isn't. I downloaded a PDF reader (repligo) and download PDF comics. Works great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 04:21 PM
    oh thanks! where can I get the PDF comics?
    03-19-09 04:29 PM
    I'm actually making one based on the Naruto Manga.

Calling it the "Naruto Ninja Storm Chronicles"

I plan to have it go up on App World when it's ready. I'm putting a lot of work into it.
    03-19-09 04:32 PM
    really? there needs to be a batman one. Would tou care to help me work on it?
    03-19-09 04:34 PM
    i just purchased the 9530 storm. Is there away to watch tv on this phone?
    03-19-09 04:48 PM
    really? there needs to be a batman one. Would tou care to help me work on it?
    Well, I'm clearly going to be dedicating a lot of work to this App -- and with already limited time -- it may be tough to work on something else, BUT I see obvious potential for shared code because we both essentially have the same idea but are just using different source material.

I'm using the Japanese Naruto Manga (obviously translated versions of it) and you,re using Batman.

I'd like to get much further along with what I have here to the point that I feel that the basic components of what makes it work are all in place and all that is needed from then on is to simply add more character and story arc information. It's one of the reasons I really wanted RIM to give access to the graphics hardware because I had some nice ideas for how I would want to use it in the app.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 03-19-09 at 05:10 PM.
    03-19-09 05:07 PM
    do you have any screens of this app?
    03-19-09 05:18 PM
    I'm actually making one based on the Naruto Manga.

Calling it the "Naruto Ninja Storm Chronicles"

I plan to have it go up on App World when it's ready. I'm putting a lot of work into it.
    That's the reason I've been looking for something like this, so I can read Naruto and Bleach. Too bad there won't be a new Naruto episode today but I'll be looking forward to the double episode next week
    03-19-09 05:52 PM
    oh thanks! where can I get the PDF comics?
    You'll have to torrent them, bro. But you heard that from me, not Crackberry.com, as I'm sure they do not condone such action.

03-19-09 06:21 PM
    Lol nice.......we need this

03-19-09 09:31 PM
    this is relevant to my interests...

a .cbr reader for the storm would be awesome.
    Last edited by skeletallightning; 04-15-09 at 01:32 PM.
    04-15-09 01:30 PM
    although it may not be what you are looking for, but why not change the .cbr to .rar. Extract the comics and make sure they get extracted in order. Make a comics folder on your storm sd card and put the comics in there. Use different name for all different comics don't just put all comics in one single folder. That is what i did. Not ideal because i have to keep zooming in after every page change but it get's the job of having comics on the storm.
    04-15-09 02:02 PM
    I'm with yall. I wish there was some sort of app where we could download the new comics as they come out and the back issues also. It would be nice if marvel, dc or any of the other companies would come out with an app like this. That one Carnival app was set up nicely.
    05-08-09 01:13 AM
    I know this is a little old but just thought I'd mention it.

I am already in the process, and nearing the release of a usable beta, of developing an app to read manga on a BlackBerry. Currently, the app "streams" images off of OneManga, a manga archive. However, once I have the core image viewing code done for that app I imagine it would be trivial to modify the code so that it gets images from the SD card or device memory. The modification would be released as a separate app.

Once I finish my manga app and polish it some, I'll get to work on this. I do not read manga or comics using CBR (in fact I never actually download manga locally, I always read it off an online archive) so I don't know anything about the .cbr format, but I don't think it would be too hard to implement support for that.

If the interest for this still exists I will definitely consider it. Price-point will likely be around 2.99-4.99. I don't feel comfortable selling my manga streaming app since it uses content and server resources that aren't mine, but I have spent quite a bit of time and effort on it and this would use the same codebase. I think 3-5 dollars is a reasonable price.

Anyway, just wanted to let people know that I am willing to develop this.
    06-05-09 03:34 PM
    I would pay for that.

06-05-09 03:45 PM
    I would pay for that.

+1

06-05-09 04:27 PM
    I know this is a little old but just thought I'd mention it.

I am already in the process, and nearing the release of a usable beta, of developing an app to read manga on a BlackBerry. Currently, the app "streams" images off of OneManga, a manga archive. However, once I have the core image viewing code done for that app I imagine it would be trivial to modify the code so that it gets images from the SD card or device memory. The modification would be released as a separate app.

Once I finish my manga app and polish it some, I'll get to work on this. I do not read manga or comics using CBR (in fact I never actually download manga locally, I always read it off an online archive) so I don't know anything about the .cbr format, but I don't think it would be too hard to implement support for that.

If the interest for this still exists I will definitely consider it. Price-point will likely be around 2.99-4.99. I don't feel comfortable selling my manga streaming app since it uses content and server resources that aren't mine, but I have spent quite a bit of time and effort on it and this would use the same codebase. I think 3-5 dollars is a reasonable price.

Anyway, just wanted to let people know that I am willing to develop this.
    so when are we going to see the Onemanga.com app
    06-05-09 04:40 PM
    Im on vodafone and there are comics available to download in bb app world im sure of it
    06-05-09 04:44 PM
    @victory: I've finished a fairly good amount of the code, and my hope is to be able to release a usable beta by next weekend, maybe missing some of the features and polish the final version will have. I leave the country on the 16th and after that development will slow down for a while as access to my development computer will be infrequent and only through remote desktop.

So in short, my timeframe is about ten days for a beta and then I'll shoot for about mid-July for a polished release. The comic book app will take several more weeks after that.

Also, I'm glad to hear people would be willing to pay for it.
    06-05-09 09:59 PM
    Really interested in getting my hands on this too
    11-22-09 01:42 PM
    @peanutmayor:
    In the future, please try not to bump 5 month old topics

But I do have good news for you. Another developer has released a beta of their app, Comic Reader Mobi... it does basically what we were talking about in this thread.

Link: http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/co...ic+reader+mobi
    11-22-09 03:34 PM
    I'm going to bump this because ComicReaderMobi is way too expensive
    05-07-11 06:53 AM
    CRMobi is too expensive and has horrible reviews.

07-16-11 10:15 PM
    There's always the manga reader thats available for most blackberrys & andriods;
    mango
    mango.leetsoft.net Mango - free manga reader app for Android and BlackBerry
    07-17-11 09:27 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD