So far I've purchased 2 apps (through Blackberry App World). If I ever have to do a factory re-set and re-install the apps, would I be able to do it without re-purchasing them?

That's why I would like to have a back-up of the apps that I purchased. I went to Blackberry Desktop Manager and under Back Up, I don't see any of the apps that I purchased. I guess that backs up other things like all your settings, etc.

I used to own a pocket pc (back when they were popular) and with those you'd first install an app on your desktop first, then it gets transferred to the device afterwards when you sync. So you'd always have a copy of the app on your desktop. I guess with Blackberry you install to the device first but is there any way to keep a backup copy on your desktop?

If not, does Blackberry App World remember all your purchases, tie it to your PIN, and allow you to re-install apps that way?
    Last edited by cre8tor; 01-24-11 at 04:35 PM.
    01-24-11 04:32 PM
    BBSAK could save 3rd party apps but if you bought them via appworld or mobihand/crackberry store they will always be in your account and you would then just have to redownload them again on the same device and/or if you get a new device has the pin swapped to the new one and then download them on the new device.
    01-24-11 06:37 PM
    BBSAK could save 3rd party apps...
    There's also BBMCP (BB Master Control Program). Not as clean & simple as BBSAK, but also has a few more options.
    Last edited by elite1; 01-24-11 at 09:35 PM.
    01-24-11 07:21 PM
    So far I've purchased 2 apps (through Blackberry App World). If I ever have to do a factory re-set and re-install the apps, would I be able to do it without re-purchasing them?

That's why I would like to have a back-up of the apps that I purchased. I went to Blackberry Desktop Manager and under Back Up, I don't see any of the apps that I purchased. I guess that backs up other things like all your settings, etc.

If not, does Blackberry App World remember all your purchases, tie it to your PIN, and allow you to re-install apps that way?
    It's not tied to your PIN, but to your BlackBerry ID you set up. The reason is that you can transfer everything onto a new device if you switch, which would have a new PIN.
    The My World section of App World always has all of your apps listed.

DM does not have an option to save 3rd party apps. There is a workaround, but honestly you should use one of the 2 desktop utilities mentioned in the posts above. They make it very easy.

A side note: BB App World is the best place for free apps, as it is the only app service that alerts you when free apps have upgrades available.

However, the best place for buying paid (aka premium) apps seems to be the CB Superstore, which is a CB storefront for an app service called Mobihand.
    You can see what's on sale, it's easy to swap versions if you swap devices, and updates to apps are released immediately.
    (For some reason App World doesn't release upgrades for days or weeks.)

Download the free CB Superstore app off the CB site and check it out.
    01-24-11 09:35 PM
    BBSAK does it for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 10:15 PM
    I personally use DM to do it. There's instructions in the how to section.
    01-24-11 11:00 PM
    It's not tied to your PIN, but to your BlackBerry ID you set up. The reason is that you can transfer everything onto a new device if you switch, which would have a new PIN.
    The My World section of App World always has all of your apps listed.

DM does not have an option to save 3rd party apps. There is a workaround, but honestly you should use one of the 2 desktop utilities mentioned in the posts above. They make it very easy.

A side note: BB App World is the best place for free apps, as it is the only app service that alerts you when free apps have upgrades available.

However, the best place for buying paid (aka premium) apps seems to be the CB Superstore, which is a CB storefront for an app service called Mobihand.
    You can see what's on sale, it's easy to swap versions if you swap devices, and updates to apps are released immediately.
    (For some reason App World doesn't release upgrades for days or weeks.)

Download the free CB Superstore app off the CB site and check it out.
    I can vouch for this. I switched from a 9000 to a 9700. My BlackBerry ID showed everything from AppWorld on my new device. I was easily able to contact Mobihand with my new device and PIN, and I got my paid apps in the versions for my new device in less than a day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 11:59 PM
    I personally use DM to do it. There's instructions in the how to section.
    I do this (and BBSAK...call me careful). A quick synopsis of the DM method:

- you use DM to start the Device Switch Wizard
    - DM makes a temp folder of the apps (which would be used to move to another BB)
    - Once the first part of the process is done, you find the temp dir (named by your PIN) and copy that to somewhere of your choosing
    - You then CANCEL the process.......

Someone else will probably get you the link to the detailed instructions before I can....
    01-25-11 07:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD