I see a number of threads that imply that the poster knows what app is using a lot of battery, but the app is never named. Is there such a thing or is the poster simply doing some detective work, perhaps by deleting a suspect app and noting battery usage changes?
    03-14-12 06:38 AM
    Do you still have the Amazon mp3 store installed on your phone? That was eating at my battery until I deleted it. Stupid bloatware.

JB
    03-14-12 06:40 AM
    Do you still have the Amazon mp3 store installed on your phone? That was eating at my battery until I deleted it. Stupid bloatware.

JB
    No. My 9930 is from Verizon. I have Verizon bloatware - a much higher quality of crapware :P
    03-14-12 06:46 AM
    No. My 9930 is from Verizon. I have Verizon bloatware - a much higher quality of crapware :P
    Yes, but none of the VZW (Cr)apps is actually installed. They're only shortcuts to the installation files.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    03-14-12 09:35 AM
    The only one that I noticed was actually installed was the Amazon store. Once I got rid of that and switched to 3G/H+ only, my battery life has gone up a fair amount.

JB
    03-14-12 09:50 AM
    Yes, but none of the VZW (Cr)apps is actually installed. They're only shortcuts to the installation files.
    I suppose that's better I have no plans to install them, then!
    03-14-12 09:50 AM
    I see a number of threads that imply that the poster knows what app is using a lot of battery, but the app is never named. Is there such a thing or is the poster simply doing some detective work, perhaps by deleting a suspect app and noting battery usage changes?
    With the 9900/9930, there's a battery analyzer app. Go to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > BlackBerry Device Analyzer > Battery Tests. Turn on Battery Monitoring by choosing Battery draining too quickly.

After you have run battery monitoring for a while, follow the same path to view the drain trends. Click on View Drain Trends, then highlight the portion of the graph that looks like it's draining quickly and click your trackpad to drill down. This takes you to a second graph; move your highlight to the area you want more information about then hit the trackpad again to drill even further down. Then hit Details. You will see detailed information about all of the things going on during that time period.

BTW, the Facebook app is a major battery sucker...
    03-14-12 10:10 AM
    To the OP...

Typically, for me, it's all detective work. But I know a few off the top of my head from experience.

What apps are you using?
    03-14-12 10:24 AM
    With the 9900/9930, there's a battery analyzer app. Go to Options > Device > Advanced System Settings > BlackBerry Device Analyzer > Battery Tests. Turn on Battery Monitoring by choosing Battery draining too quickly.

After you have run battery monitoring for a while, follow the same path to view the drain trends. Click on View Drain Trends, then highlight the portion of the graph that looks like it's draining quickly and click your trackpad to drill down. This takes you to a second graph; move your highlight to the area you want more information about then hit the trackpad again to drill even further down. Then hit Details. You will see detailed information about all of the things going on during that time period.

BTW, the Facebook app is a major battery sucker...
    No BlackBerry Device Analyzer in my advanced system settings. Could it have been removed by the carrier prior to sale?

JB
    03-14-12 10:27 AM
    No BlackBerry Device Analyzer in my advanced system settings. Could it have been removed by the carrier prior to sale?

JB
    No it was not removed by your carrier. Which OS do you have? You need 7.1.0.267 or above.
    Last edited by dustanh; 03-14-12 at 10:41 AM.
    03-14-12 10:34 AM
    It's on 7.1.
    What OS are you running?
    03-14-12 10:35 AM
    Ah, that explains. Ok, that's fine I'm running 7.0.585 still. It's not something I need (my battery is great), just something I've heard a lot of people talking about and I hadn't seen it.

JB
    03-14-12 10:42 AM
    Ah, that explains. Ok, that's fine I'm running 7.0.585 still. It's not something I need (my battery is great), just something I've heard a lot of people talking about and I hadn't seen it.

JB
    You can also download it and install it on 7.0 -- I did, well before I installed 7.1. Check the threads, someone here posted a link to it (which is where I got it). Very handy, and reduces the need for a separate applicationl
    03-14-12 10:48 AM

JB

A good way for you to easliy monitor your usage is in application management. This will show what has been used on a daily basis. If you see an app that shows usage and you have not used it all that day, it may be a culprit. But I've noticed a few apps show very minimal usage, this is fine. It is the apps that you have not opened at all and show major usage in time. These apps are running in the background.

See my screen shot. The browser and homescreen always show the highest amount of usage. This is normal.

03-14-12 10:53 AM
    That is COOOOOOL. Thank you!
    03-14-12 10:54 AM
    Here's the thread with a link to the Device Analyzer -- it's the fourth post down:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...kberry-698096/
    03-14-12 11:00 AM
    If you don't want to install 7.1 or even the analyzer separately as suggested, you can learn a lot by using Options>Device>Application Management to see which applications use the most memory, CPU, etc. Jaydee is correct about the Verizon app icons for the most part are just shortcuts or links to install the actual applications, I just put them in a junk folder and hide them as I do with all apps or app shortcuts that I don't need and cannot be deleted or shrunk out before installation.
    03-14-12 11:02 AM
    I use the Application Management under Options to check how much CPU, Memory, etc was used by each app. Also, I have MeterBerry with the hourly discharge rate.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    03-14-12 11:02 AM
    A good way for you to easliy monitor your usage is in application management. This will show what has been used on a daily basis. If you see an app that shows usage and you have not used it all that day, it may be a culprit. But I've noticed a few apps show very minimal usage, this is fine. It is the apps that you have not opened at all and show major usage in time. These apps are running in the background.

See my screen shot. The browser and homescreen always show the highest amount of usage. This is normal.

Click to view quoted image
    Where do you get the Usage Graphic? I'm in Application Management and I can delete/properties/permissions... Okay, I blundered into it - but how. But I would like to be more deliberate about bring up that screen. Thanks.

Oh, I think I discovered the "blunder" - scroll left or right to reveal the "secret or sliding" door!
    Last edited by F2; 03-14-12 at 07:29 PM.
    03-14-12 07:22 PM
    Where do you get the Usage Graphic? I'm in Application Management and I can delete/properties/permissions... Okay, I blundered into it - but how. But I would like to be more deliberate about bring up that screen. Thanks.

Oh, I think I discovered the "blunder" - scroll left or right to reveal the "secret or sliding" door!

You find it by scrolling two screens to the right.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    03-14-12 11:12 PM
    not to 'hi-jack' but the speaker tests dont work for me, anyone knows why that is?
    03-15-12 11:42 AM
    not to 'hi-jack' but the speaker tests dont work for me, anyone knows why that is?
    Same here. Neither does the microphone test.
    03-15-12 03:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD