The next release of TextWarrior is available for download at MobiHand, Handango and PocketGear.

TextWarrior is a text editor geared towards power-users. It grew out of frustration of the lack of a basic text editor in the BlackBerry. Surprising, considering BlackBerry devices have such excellent keyboards and screens. While we are at it, why not add programmer-friendly features like syntax highlighting and an expanded symbol screen. Best of all, TextWarrior is free in cost and open-source!

Major changes

• Display of line numbers. Jump to any line
    • Zoom
    • Greatly expanded symbol screen with 5 new categories, including symbols that are unique to BlackBerry devices
    • Input panel for BlackBerry input paradigms (word completion, automatic capitalization, pressing space twice inserts a period, etc.). Also provides a button to change input languages, as an alternative to pressing Ctrl+Enter.
    • Support for Unicode UTF-8 and UTF-16
    • Choice of file encoding scheme (ASCII, UTF-8, UTF-16BE and UTF-16LE)
    • Choice of line terminator style (Windows, Unix or MacOS9)

Feedback, suggestions and bug reports welcome. What features I implement next depends a lot on the demand for them. The next beta release will definitely include 1-level undo, character/word count and font change.

Source code available at SourceForge. Touch screen devices are not officially supported.
    Last edited by MyopicMobile; 12-11-10 at 07:56 AM.
    12-10-10 07:47 PM
    Any chance you could provide a link from MobiHand? And even Handango and PocketGear...

Anyone who checks out this post will I'm sure appreciate, as will I!

Plus, I tried doing a search in MobiHand App Store but it returned no results and I don't use Handango or PocketGear :/

Thanks in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-10 08:16 PM
    Was just thinking to myself, is this even available for the Torch? Would definitely explain why doing a search returned no results!

Either way, I'm sure links to your app would still be appreciated!

12-10-10 08:22 PM
    Hey Myopic, have you considered making this app launch from pushing the "p" button like bbnotepad does? That's the one thing that keeps me from switching
    Edit: in case you don't know how to do that, I think this link tells you: Properties for application settings - Development Guide - BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse - 1.1
    As long as I'm requesting features I figure I'll try to help a little.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 12-11-10 at 02:15 AM.
    12-10-10 09:09 PM
    Here is the link to TextWarrior 0.8 works fine on my Storm 2 even though it says it's not compatible.

TextWarrior - Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    MyopicMobile likes this.
    12-11-10 01:48 AM
    Touch screen devices are officially not supported, so searching Mobihand, Handango or PocketGear with a Torch or Storm selected will not return any results. This is because I don't have a touchscreen BB to test and play with . You can still install it though, although text entry will have to be done tediously using the input panel.

SCrid2000, I am a bit hesistant to add a shortcut key for the application, because I believe it is the job of the OS to do this. However, if there is great enough demand, I can add it in. It isn't very difficult to do, and you can even do it yourself if you know a bit of programming. The source code is available online and it is just a one line change to the application.xml, as you have pointed out.

Thanks applemac for providing the link! I couldn't add it in my initial post because the forum rules requires a minimum of 10 posts before weblinks can be posted.
    Last edited by MyopicMobile; 12-11-10 at 07:57 AM.
    applemac likes this.
    12-11-10 07:53 AM
    Hm I may do that. Do you have a link to info that tells you how to package the source code into a cod for me? I dunno how to do this stuff

12-11-10 09:51 AM
    Touch screen devices are officially not supported, so searching Mobihand, Handango or PocketGear with a Torch or Storm selected will not return any results. This is because I don't have a touchscreen BB to test and play with . You can still install it though, although text entry will have to be done tediously using the input panel.

SCrid2000, I am a bit hesistant to add a shortcut key for the application, because I believe it is the job of the OS to do this. However, if there is great enough demand, I can add it in. It isn't very difficult to do, and you can even do it yourself if you know a bit of programming. The source code is available online and it is just a one line change to the application.xml, as you have pointed out.

Thanks applemac for providing the link! I couldn't add it in my initial post because the forum rules requires a minimum of 10 posts before weblinks can be posted.
    No problem glad I could help.
    12-11-10 11:23 AM
    how do I install textwarrior on my blackberry bold 9000.... any help would be great...thanks
    12-11-10 09:32 PM
    You can go to the link provided by applemac above and install it OTA if your BlackBerry has access to the internet. If not, you can go to the same site and select Desktop Installation method. This gives a zip file which contains the necessary files that you can copy to a PC and install it on your BlackBerry using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

It is the same procedure for installing any app on the BlackBerry. I am sure there are better posts explaining the process. Just search the forum or internet.
    12-12-10 08:42 PM
    Here is a version of TextWarrior that adds a launch shortcut. Press 'X' on the home screen to launch the application. This feature will not be part of the main build unless there is a lot of demand for it. Anyway, it just takes 1 minute to make the changes

[Edited Dec 14: Use 'X' shortcut instead of 'W'.]
    Last edited by MyopicMobile; 12-14-10 at 01:54 AM.
    SCrid2000 and iCleyvin like this.
    12-12-10 08:46 PM
    Awesome man, thanks
    12-12-10 08:48 PM
    Here is a version of TextWarrior that adds a launch shortcut. Press 'W' on the home screen to launch the application. This feature will not be part of the main build unless there is a lot of demand for it. Anyway, it just takes 1 minute to make the changes
    You should probably change it to another letter, w is used by berryweather. Which for the posts i've read, many people here have it.
    Last edited by gbsn; 12-12-10 at 08:58 PM.
    12-12-10 08:51 PM
    Oh, he's right - well crap.
    I don't think anything uses x, the x in text warrior works...
    12-12-10 08:52 PM
    x is used by windows live messenger, if installed obviously :b
    12-12-10 08:59 PM
    Who uses windoes live messenger tho?

12-12-10 09:08 PM
    Who uses windoes live messenger tho?

+1

Haha i was going to say i sure don't and i know of maybe one person that uses it! X would be great!
    12-12-10 09:25 PM
    Here is the link to TextWarrior 0.8 works fine on my Storm 2 even though it says it's not compatible.

TextWarrior - Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    Before I download this I want to make sure that I will be able to use it on my Storm. AppleMac you say you are using it on the Storm 2, so I should be able to also
    12-13-10 03:16 AM
    Before I download this I want to make sure that I will be able to use it on my Storm. AppleMac you say you are using it on the Storm 2, so I should be able to also
    sorry posted same thing twice for some reason. read the next post.
    Last edited by applemac; 12-13-10 at 05:48 PM.
    12-13-10 05:43 PM
    Yes I have on my S2 no reason it shouldn't work on you unless its like my S1 and don't like you LOL, But seriously I do have it installed and working. I can not say it would work perfect for you because as the creator said it was not tested to be approved for the S2.
    12-13-10 05:46 PM
    This is exactly the reason why it should be the job of the OS to let users customize which button opens which app. It would be trivial for RIM to implement this but strangely they haven't. Developers usually make bad guesses and users only end up frustrated. Hopefully things will change with the new QNX-based OS.

Anyway, I have edited the link in the previous page to point to a version that uses 'X' as a launch shortcut instead of a 'W'. Also, the previous version that uses 'W' does not work correctly because it wasn't signed - sorry about that
    12-14-10 02:04 AM
    Thanks Myopic
    Have you considered putting both versions on mobihand?
    12-14-10 02:44 PM
    Hey Myopic, have you considered making this app launch from pushing the "p" button like bbnotepad does? That's the one thing that keeps me from switching
    Edit: in case you don't know how to do that, I think this link tells you: Properties for application settings - Development Guide - BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse - 1.1
    As long as I'm requesting features I figure I'll try to help a little.
    Since you obviously use BBNotPad, just for clarification, what's the difference between this and BBNotePad (which I use a lot)? Also, do all documents automatically save to your SD card?
    12-14-10 04:46 PM
    The biggest difference is that BBNotepad uses word-wrap, while TextWarrior lets long lines of text scroll horizontally. The other difference is that BBNotepad is based on native BlackBerry text input components, meaning all the BlackBerry shortcuts for text input are supported. This includes things like auto-capitalization, holding down a key and moving the trackball to switch characters, and automatic insertion of periods after 2 spaces. TextWarrior can do all those things too, but in a more inconvenient way through a separate panel.

TextWarrior also adds many other features not found in BBNotepad like search and replace, zoom, jumping to a line number, tab display, syntax highlighting (useful for programmers), and a vastly enhanced symbol screen -- check out the snowman symbol in the BlackBerry category! The version uploaded in this post has additional goodies like font type select and a shortcut launch button from the Home Screen.

Saving of files work like typical applications. For new documents, there will be a prompt to select the file name and directory to save in. This can be in the SD card or device memory. New files are never saved automatically in a specific location. For existing documents, they can be saved in the same place they are opened from using the "Save" command, or another directory/file name using the "Save as..." command.
    12-15-10 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD