Hello all,
    We are working on an application that will automatically send SMS messages in response to incoming SMS and missed calls. It is currently only working on OS4.5 and above due to issues with the permissions model in previous OS versions.

This has only been tested so far on the Storm (verizon 9530, OS4.7) and a Curve (at&t 8310, OS4.5). We would appreciate any feedback on what other phones/OS versions are working.

Please make sure that your application permissions are set to allow connections for the phone:

Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications -> TextBack -> Menu Button -> Edit Permissions

Along with comments, please include your model/OS and carrier information. As this application sends replies as SMS messages, a text messaging plan is highly recommended. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

alpinaconsulting.com/textback/
    05-18-09 11:43 AM
    Sounds awesome, going to give it a test run.
    05-18-09 12:10 PM
    Downloaded and installed.
    Carrier - TMobile
    Model - 8100 Pearl
    OS - 4.5.0.124

Do you have to have the application open for it to work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 12:32 PM
    not understanding... downloaded and installed and ran permissions, etc... but nothing happens.
    05-18-09 01:31 PM
    PS... I have a Sprint 8330 running 4.5
    05-18-09 01:35 PM
    I just installed the app and it seems to work well. I like the ability to add items to the favorite list and choosing to reply to Calls and/or Text. I was wondering if the app is able to determine if a number is a landline or mobile based on the address book entry.

Edit: Phone - Curve 8310 (ATT) & OS - 4.5.110(152)
    Last edited by curti; 05-18-09 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Adding Phone Details
    05-18-09 03:41 PM
    Just installed.

I guess I'll find out the answer to this question but I'll toss it out anyway:

Does the text response get sent automatically, every time? To every incoming SMS? On its own? With no user interaction to 'send' it?

I used a number of Palm devices (both WM <and> Palm OS flavas) and really liked their implementation of 'Reply with SMS'. If your app allows the user to either create a new text or use one of the favorites, that would be tremendous. Just sending blind is ok, but some way to create and/or grab one of the canned messages would be even better.

Thanks!
    05-18-09 03:48 PM
    Not really sure if its working. Any instructions ?

05-18-09 04:32 PM
    Nuttin on bold .247.. Daughter sent me a bunch and she didn't get anything.

05-18-09 04:55 PM
    Did you check to see if you enabled it? Make sure the [On/Off] button is green. One thing I did notice though is it doesn't resend a message to the same number if they text again, but I'm not sure if it's intended.
    05-18-09 05:41 PM
    Yep,had everything green... Nuttin.. Is it suppose to send a reply automatically? Anyone else with a bold tried this yet ?

05-18-09 05:42 PM
    It's supposed to, but after further testing I've noticed it only replies to the first message I recieve.
    05-18-09 05:49 PM
    got it, im impressed ive always wanted this

Phone- BBerry Storm
    OS- 4.7.0.75
    Carrier- Verizon

PROS:
    Actually works
    Nice Looking
    Very Convenient

NEED TO BE FIXED (if possible)
    ~Change unselected color to red, instead of blue.
    ~Allow the app to auto-run when a txt/call is received instead of having to always be on or else it wont work.
    ~When calls come in, sometimes theyre landlines and you cant text those(w/o a fee)

This app is great!!!
    05-18-09 06:49 PM
    Would love to try it.

Storm
    Vzw

05-18-09 07:18 PM
    Vzn

Works great

05-18-09 07:38 PM
    thanks for all the feedback, it's much appreciated as we try to make this app "release ready".

MissV84: yes, the app has to be running, but you can send it to the background by holding down your "alt" key and clicking the "escape" key, then using your trackball to select which app you want to bring to the foreground. For Storm users, use your menu key and select the "switch application" option.

bigric70: what is supposed to happen is that when you have the application running, with a status message set and the "on" button greenlit, anyone who text messages you or any missed calls that come in will automatically be replied to with your current status message.

curti: we have not tied this app into the addressbook yet, for a first run we wanted to keep things as simple as possible for a proof of concept and to get the core functionality tested. we have a variety of other features we are considering adding, but wanted to focus on speed and stability first.

johnnymac: your status gets sent automatically, there is no user interaction required as long as the app is running and "on". you can type in your own status messages, save them to a favorites list, etc. there is a list kept in memory of phone numbers already replied to so that someone who keeps texting you doesn't keep receiving status messages, and to prevent infinite loops in the event that both people are running TextBack. This list is cleared every time you exit the application.

xTheTinManx: what is the major OS version you are running? I assume 4.6 on AT&T? does it not work for just incoming SMS? or does it not work for missed calls as well?

dsquared2:
    1) we will consider changing the color to red for off, but as that is a matter of preference, someone else may want it changed back to blue
    2) you can send the app to the background using the menu key -> switch application option.
    3) we are considering tying the addressbook in for a future release, which would let us know whether or not the incoming number was a landline or mobile, but that only would work for numbers you have stored. as far as i'm aware, there is no information on the call which tells me whether or not it's landline vs cellular, but i will look into it further.

cwadams70: please feel free, the URL is in my first post.
    05-19-09 06:39 PM
    Yes, 4.6 and it doesn't work for either...

05-19-09 06:54 PM
    Hey hphan

I just installed it and it's working great. I use it at work so I can kindly tell everyone I'm working and to leave a text, I hate listening to voicemails!

I'm a sprint, nonBIS user
    8330 v 4.5.0.138

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Like I said, I use my phone at work alot, and I have friends and family that call/text but also I have some people that call that I really don't want calling :P Would it be possible to hotkey a button to reply with the status message, otherwise let nothing happen? Maybe that's too much to ask but figured I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by k4p741nkrunch; 05-19-09 at 11:06 PM.
    05-19-09 09:39 PM
    Thank you for the reply; however, my phone is only responding to the first text I recieve and doesn't reply to the next message I recieve. I have tested it with different numbers, but it still only replies to the first even though the other messages are from different contacts.

Curve 8310 / OS 4.5 / ATT
    05-19-09 11:16 PM
    Installed it on my Storm and it is running perfectly fine. Thanks.
    05-20-09 10:31 AM
    One feature that would be nice is for it to automatically pull the title of calendar entries and send it as the text.
    05-20-09 10:38 AM
    xTheTinManx: I will download the simulator for your phone and see if I can debug the issue, thanks for your feedback.

k4p741nkrunch: your request will be considered, but it's honestly kind of going against what the app is designed to do. requiring user interaction to send the message is more of a quicktext app with some similarities to what we are trying to achieve here, which is more fire and forget.

curti: ah yes, i've seen that happen on my phone a few times before. i believe i know what the problem is, i'll get to work on that asap. however, i have a very busy week with family, i may not be able to really dig into it until next week.

mbrevard:thanks for the suggestion, we've made note of it.
    05-20-09 12:42 PM
    Hi,
    Nice program. What would nice (in my opinion) to have included in the program. Is if you can set up times for the program to run and reply to SMS. Like if your at work from 9-12 the program
    would be active. From 12-1 it wouldn't reply and then go back on at 1-5 it would be active again. Well something
    in that line. Again nice program.
    8330m OS 4.5.0.131
    05-20-09 02:23 PM
    Thank you. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just my phone the problem was occuring with.
    05-20-09 03:45 PM
    Makes sense hphan, maybe a totally different application would be better for what I was mentioning. I guess it goes back to the landline/mobile issue, as the people I'm trying to avoid would all be calling from landlines. I like the set it and forget it, and I'll definitely use it.
    05-20-09 07:29 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD