I am looking at converting to BB from Windows Mobile when the Tour gets here. But the one thing I must have is a good tethering client. For WM there were several good choices, PDAnet, WMWifirouter, and ICS. I need something similar for BB. I have come across Tetherberry, Mobishark, and PDAnet. PDAnet would obviously be my preferred choice but from the best I can tell it is only available for the Storm since it needs OS 4.7 which is only on the Storm. PDAnet's site eludes to the fact that other programs route everything through a proxy server which is not acceptable for my needs, I want a straight connection. Anyone have any suggestions or thought on the subject? Once I get this sorted I will be good to go.
    06-25-09 01:46 PM
    I don't have much to contribute in terms of comparing your options, because BBs can tether completely without client software, but I did want to point that out if you weren't already aware.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 02:32 PM
    Tetherberry is the only app that I know of, you can find the manual instructions in the forums, that won't require any apps. There isn't anything like WMwifirouter for BlackBerry, but man I with there was, this was one of me favorite apps for my prior WM phone.
    06-25-09 02:38 PM
    I don't have much to contribute in terms of comparing your options, because BBs can tether completely without client software, but I did want to point that out if you weren't already aware.
    Could you point me in the right direction?

There isn't anything like WMwifirouter for BlackBerry, but man I with there was, this was one of me favorite apps for my prior WM phone.
    The Tour doesn't have wifi so I know that isn't going to happen but man that is a great app!
    06-25-09 03:33 PM
    06-25-09 03:42 PM
    One of the computers I am going to be using this on is a work computer so I don't want to have to go that deep into it. Looks like the best bets are waiting on PDAnet or dealing with the proxy and tetherberry.
    06-26-09 09:56 PM

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Not all BB's, not on all carriers. You will often get something like this:

https://dunsp.vzw.com/selfProvisioni...sioningServlet

I've played with TetherBerry, works well. I've never used PDAnet for BB, but it was great for WM, I'd assume it'll be good for BB as well. Mobi Shark, I wasn't impressed with.
    Last edited by crisd; 06-26-09 at 10:25 PM.
    06-26-09 10:10 PM
    Not all BB's, not on all carriers. You will often get something like this:

https://dunsp.vzw.com/selfProvisioni...sioningServlet
    Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
    06-27-09 05:12 AM
    Thanks so much for posting. I thought my only option was TetherBerry, and I was delighted to find out I was wrong. I've wanted to set up tethering for some time now but don't really have a need for it, and $50 for something I don't actually need isn't happening. Below is a quick summery what I found:

I easily set up tethering without additional software (thanks for the link 1jaxstate1), but as I have Verizon, that was a bust. I was happy to see that MobiShark, unlike TetherBerry, has a free trial (10MB limit), but it's again $50 for something I don't actually need.

Saving the best for last: PdaNet
    First of all, it's a free unlimited trial, and they ask that "if you like the software" you send them $30. I installed it on my Storm, and it works great! If I find myself using it, I'll send them the $30; it's a great price and the type of licensing I want to support.

PdaNet's website says, "Currently version 1.20 requires OS 4.7 or above so it only works on the BlackBerry Storm," but Storm isn't the only BB with 4.7 or above, and their OTA download page has a Storm and a non-Storm version. So if you have a BB with 4.7 or higher that isn't the Storm, you might check it out.
    06-27-09 07:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD