Whats the deal? Can I use tetherberry with my VZW 8330? So long as I stay under the 5gb limit are there no problems? Thanks.
    08-06-09 09:44 AM
    Get detected by the network sniffers of even connecting & see a large bill & your service suspended because you violated the TOS.

And you couldn't even search to see the multiple threads on this very topic.

You're correct - getting someone, like you, off the network is no problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 09:57 AM
    I have searched and found mixed answers on this very subject
    08-06-09 10:00 AM
    Please do more searching. It has been discussed in-depth and many stories have accumulated from "Tetherberry."

If you decide to try it and get busted don't whine and complain here please!
    08-06-09 10:03 AM
    Yeah way overposted!
    08-06-09 10:22 AM
    It does seem to be way overposted I agree, but it may be confusing to some because there are mixed answers. Some people swear with light usage, they won't catch you. But others swear on the fact that they will catch you eventually. Then, I heard people say that it's because Tetherberry goes through the BIS (I think?) servers? This meaning PDAnet for free tethering would be much harder to get caught with? I'm just saying, not just with this topic, there seems to be a lot of confusion/misconceptions. There should be a FAQ thread for these questions, with exact answers that are facts.
    08-06-09 10:31 AM
    08-06-09 11:02 AM
    Nothing "mixed" in the contract/TOS about it. People need to learn how to read & stop fishing for justification.

Personally, I think some of these types of posts are done by Tetherberry employees looking to keep their name known before they shut down due to lack of business.

08-06-09 11:53 AM
    The problem seems to be that every time someone who actually knows that it is absolutely against the TOS for Verizon, and by using this program you are violating your contract, posts 5 other people come on and post how they use it all the time and never get caught.

I agree that someone should sticky a one post thread with the subject: Tetherberry IS NOT OK to use on VZW. The body of the post should be that section of the TOS that has been posted here many many times.
    08-06-09 12:09 PM
    The problem seems to be that every time someone who actually knows that it is absolutely against the TOS for Verizon, and by using this program you are violating your contract, posts 5 other people come on and post how they use it all the time and never get caught.

I agree that someone should sticky a one post thread with the subject: Tetherberry IS NOT OK to use on VZW. The body of the post should be that section of the TOS that has been posted here many many times.
    So, is PDAnet equally bad to use? I ask because I did a workaround on my WinMo phone before I got the Tour and tethered 3-4 times a week light browsing with no issues with VZW.
    08-06-09 02:01 PM
    I could not begin to say. I do not work for VZW, I just buy their service. In the contract I signed with them it says that to tether you have to buy a plan and use their software. For me that is all I need to know. They abide by their end of the contract by supplying me with telephone service and I abide by my end by doing what is required. I don't try to "get away with" free tethering because, even though for me money is as tight as it is for most people, I refuse to break a contract that I agreed to. So while it may work, and you may never get caught, you are breaking your agreement to abide by the rules set forth by the wireless provider you use.
    08-06-09 02:16 PM
    I could not begin to say. I do not work for VZW, I just buy their service. In the contract I signed with them it says that to tether you have to buy a plan and use their software. For me that is all I need to know. They abide by their end of the contract by supplying me with telephone service and I abide by my end by doing what is required. I don't try to "get away with" free tethering because, even though for me money is as tight as it is for most people, I refuse to break a contract that I agreed to. So while it may work, and you may never get caught, you are breaking your agreement to abide by the rules set forth by the wireless provider you use.
    +1
    Respecting the contract you signed, who would have thought.
    08-06-09 02:25 PM
    Yeah it is hard to believe that some people actually do honor their agreements after reading some of the stuff on this and many other sites. I guess I am just old fashioned (funny because I am only 30!) but I was raised to never break a promise and honor all agreements I make.
    08-06-09 05:06 PM
    Yeah it is hard to believe that some people actually do honor their agreements after reading some of the stuff on this and many other sites. I guess I am just old fashioned (funny because I am only 30!) but I was raised to never break a promise and honor all agreements I make.
    I see some of the posts you are talking about and think these people had really stupid parents.

08-06-09 05:18 PM
    Cheers to you and to your parents for providing good values. It's refreshing.
    08-07-09 11:29 PM
    We Will Catch You And Your Service Will Be Terminated, We Are The Terminators Of Service Providers. Respect Our Agreement That You Signed, Always Read The Small And Fine Print. Just Pay The Extra Money For The Tethering Service Thtough Vzw And You Won't Get All Paranoid. I Love Seeing People Getting Godly Data Charges To Their Bill. Oh Yeah I Do Not Work For Vzw, My Friend Does And He Shares Great Stories.

08-08-09 08:50 AM
    I believe in following the rules as well but in this case the rule makes no sense. I'm using a Storm on Verizon with the 5GB data cap. If I'm paying for 5GB of data then that should be my data to use as I see fit. If I want to surf 5GB of eBay per month (wow, that's a lot of eBay) on my Storm then Verizon wouldn't say boo about it but if I tether it to my netbook so I can display it on a larger screen with a keyboard and mouse then I'm in violation of contract? How does that make any sense? Data is data and I'm paying for 5GB.

Why is it that people are under the impression we are all trying to "beat the system" and "steal" from Verizon? Verizon has always been good to me and I have no desire to steal from them but I am paying them for 5GB of data.

Let me give an equivalent scenario. My DSL provider lets me connect my PC to a modem receiving their signal. They would not however, give me a TOS violation if I networked a second PC to the first PC to access the internet. I'm paying to receive data. How I use it or what I display it with is completely up to me.

I'm sorry but it burns me a little that when I'm sitting in a WiFi dead zone yet my Storm has great reception I can't simply connect it to my netbook and use my purchased data. Oh wait, sure I can! If I purchase additional tethering rights from VZW.

If you don't have a data plan and you thether then I agree that Verizon has every right to charge you for every KB used. But c'mon. If I'm paying for data then let me use it how I'd like.

Every time I look at this rule this is what I come up with. The odds of me using 5GB/month on my Storm are very slim. The odds of me using 5GB/month when I can use my netbook are much higher. So it seems Verizon is telling me "We're selling you 5GB per month but we'd rather you not use it."
    08-09-09 01:54 PM
    You are not paying for 5 GB. The 5 GB cap is only for mobile broadband. You are paying for unlimited data on your PHONE.

I agree. But he is not paying for mobile broadband. He is stealing it.

08-09-09 02:08 PM
    we get screwed enough by the cell phone companies as it, if you can find
    a way to put it to them, go for. Also agree with some people, if i pay for unlimited data plan on my phone, then i should be able to use it on my laptop, without payin att another 30 bucks.

they dont do enough for us, and money is tight and they want our phone, but becausethey charge us so much for cell phone plan, people feel the need to try and get over on them.
    08-09-09 02:09 PM
    I pay the $30 a month extra to tether.. I simply cant afford some crazy bill of $750.. Thats just me.
    08-09-09 03:52 PM
    I agree. But he is not paying for mobile broadband. He is stealing it.

You demonstrate one of my points exactly. I never said I'd tethered. I simply said I would like the option to port my data plan through my Storm to my netbook.

I don't like the TOS regarding tethering but I have never broken the rule. And yet you ride in on your self righteous high horse to tell me I'm stealing.

Thank you, I couldn't have asked for a better example.
    08-09-09 05:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD