I installed TetherBerry to see if the connection speed was better than my T-mobile Dial-up network , well it seems that tetherberry installs it own custom network driver and dup's a dialup connection , this really screwed things up because after checking the speed (that was really slow 103 bps) I went back to my T-Mo network (115.2 Kbs) I was getting "error 692 Hardware failure in the modem or connecting devise" I had to uninstall the two dialup network connections and the Desktop manager , reinstall the DM and recreate the T-mo dialup connection ,what a pain in the you know what. After is all said and done I am back online So I would recommend that TetherBerry be tested on all servise providers before it claims to have speeds up to 1800 Kbs (yeah right) and to advise it users of the changes it makes in your network settings (maybe I missed that part) before being updated and released again .

Well thats my rant Please correct me if I'm wrong
    11-01-09 08:44 AM
    anybody have some input on this ?
    11-01-09 03:06 PM
    I think its claims of speeds up to 1800 kbps is only if you have full coverage. You can't expect 1800 kbps if you only have a few bars.
    11-01-09 03:58 PM
    Ihad 4 bars and got bps's not kbs's s

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 04:23 PM
    Ah. That sucks. Idk. I've never used TetherBerry but in general, I've heard wonderful things about it.
    11-01-09 04:30 PM
    yeah, i think speed is all relative to your network: your signal and their speed and capacity. however, i was using tether with AT&T and noticed that i couldnt download files that were more than a mb or two--i could browse and all that just fine but i think the networks are starting to get smart and creative about monitoring their different APN traffic.
    03-11-10 04:32 PM
    I once downloaded a 150 MB file to my netbook with Tether; it was a BB OS file that I needed because an app whacked my BB and Verizon had screwed up our DSL (it was out for over a week. Oh, the humanity!) At any rate, Tether download the file flawlessly at around 65 kbps and didn't so much as hiccup once. This with around 3-4 bars most of the time.
    03-11-10 05:34 PM
    This sounds like 3G vs non 3G coverage. (bps's vs kbs's)
    03-11-10 07:28 PM
    8900 isnt 3G, i know. the 8910 i think may have it, wait for the upgrade, then retry the tether. i downloaded the free trial, and it was slow for like watching videos. (very demanding on the network) so that is most likely the issue
    03-11-10 07:34 PM
    No reason to use tether if you're on Tmo. Use the DM and set up tethering that way. I've had decent speeds in W Chicago land

03-11-10 10:37 PM
    No reason to use tether if you're on Tmo. Use the DM and set up tethering that way. I've had decent speeds in W Chicago land

Oh? That's interesting. Of this I was not previously aware. I might actually have to try it some time.
    03-11-10 11:20 PM
    I get 3G at home and its awesome whent comcast cable craps on me. I've never measured the kbs but its not bad. I can play Facebook games with no issues. I'm on the ? 9700 and don't bother with tether since my dm can do it for free.

03-12-10 01:35 AM
    I downloaded the trial version of Tether and before I purchased it, I wanted to try out the tethering option through DM. I have to say that I don't notice that big a difference. My only question would be, if by using Tether am I better off and don't need to worry about tethering fees vs using the DM option with T-Mobile. This is such a great option when you don't have access to Wi-Fi. I would be willing to pay a nominal monthly fee to T-Mobile or one flat fee to Tether to know I wouldn't be hit with additional monthly charges. But don't get me wrong, I'm not made of money, so if I can do it all for free, then I would like that. But i enjoy the service and the prices I get through T-Mobile so I don't want to screw that up either Does anyone know for sure that T-Mobile does not have an issue with us tethering....and I'm not talking about streaming video's, just the basic's..if you know what I mean?
    03-14-10 12:05 PM
    And just a quick note...no issues with having both Tether and using the tethering option through DM at all. At least on my side, they both seem to play well with each other!
    03-14-10 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD