I copied the following text from Verizon's Terms of Service Agreement.

"The Unlimited plans cannot be used: (1) for any applications that tether the device to laptops, PCs, or other equipment for any purpose,...We reserve the right to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone who uses the Unlimited plan in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term."

Just to get it out of the way, I do not work in the wireless business and would love to see carriers loosen absurd restrictions on features that their customers have already paid for like GPS, WiFi, MMS and Tethering. I believe that tetherberry is a great app and would buy it if I was comfortable that I would not receive penalties from Verizon. Does the expiration of Customer Agreement term mean the end of the billing period or end of contract? I wish they would be clearer as for possible fees associated.
    03-09-09 03:42 PM
    I'm not a lawyer. With that said, I'm guessing that it means if you break it. I can't see them not cutting a contract early if you break the aforementioned Customer Agreement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 01:01 AM
    To me, when they say "...upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.", I see "...at the end of your contract.". However, I am no lawyer and would suggest just asking them.
    03-10-09 05:42 AM
    I'm also wondering if they would terminate your service, then send an early termination fee for all lines on the account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 06:49 AM
    There are risks and then there are risks. Writing something into a contract is one thing - having the ability, means, and will to enforce it quite another.

Not a T-Mo customer, but Sprint has very similar restrictions. Surf the forums and you'll find many Sprint customers who claim to be tethering (in violation of the TOS) without any problems - some for years!

And while you find people (mostly other "straight laced" Sprint customers) warning that you might be *charged* for the date you use (or terminated or shot at dawn), I've yet to see a post from anyone who claimed that it actually happened to them. It's always third or fourth hand accounts - not the most reliable.

Frankly, I'm not sure I see much value in the Tetherberry app. On Sprint it's ridiculously easy to set up a Dial-Up Network (DUN) using #777 as the phone number OR simply download the connection manager program from Sprint's website (Smartview, I think, it's called). No special user name or password is necessary.

So, it's like Sprint saying "Don't come into the house," but then Sprint leaving the front door wide open. So far, at least, Sprint hasn't done much (if anything) to the people who've "walked in the house" by tethering in violation of the Sprint TOS.

Of course, Sprint has been bleeding customers . . . so maybe its a business decision not "crack down" on existing customers.

On the other hand, I bet if you surfed the T-Mo forums you'd find other people "getting away" with tethering in violation of the TOS too.

So in a nutshell, the risk is this: the dog might bite, but usually doesn't.
    03-10-09 07:44 AM
    My feeling is you would be warned first. PLUS if tetherberry was not abused how would they even know you were using it? If you intend to do some heavy duty tethering then maybe tetherberry is not the solution for you and you should get VZW's paid plan. HOWEVER if your tethering needs are light, and you were not to abuse, how would they know, or care? <my 2 cents>
    Last edited by pkcable; 03-10-09 at 10:41 AM.
    03-10-09 07:52 AM
    With TMo, I believe tethering is included in your BB unlimited plan. We have some special corporate plan and I know for a fact we get unlimited tethering included.
    03-10-09 10:31 AM
    Yet another downfall for being with Verizon. No cap with AT&T "unlimited" data plan that I have noticed yet and I use a lot data
    03-10-09 03:43 PM
    i ve been using tetherberry for about 10 days and still no data used appears. if anything i think they would warn that your over using your data. i know that in the contract unlimited does not mean unlimited and is at their discretion what abuse is.
    03-10-09 03:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD