I looked @ the tetherberry app & saw that software is 50 bux.. Is this a one time fee. Will I ALWAYS be able to connect my phone to ANY computer and get internet?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 11:36 AM
    It is a one time fee. However, I think it loads onto your PC first. So, I don't know if you can hook the phone up to any PC, or if you can transfer program to another PC. Need to look into it. Would like to see some recent feedback from current users. I may get it for when I am out of town and have my laptop with.

Ken
    08-23-09 01:48 PM
    I have been using it since it first came out. I'm on AT&T and there are plenty of threads about tethering without software but I was never able to get it to work. This app has worked like a charm. I have no home internet and I was able to download the zip right onto my SD card on the phone and then install it on my pc. Although I use it sparingly it has worked flawlessly. You could use it on any pc as long as you can unload it from your SD card or carry it on a thumb drive. Hope that answered some questions.

08-23-09 04:35 PM
    It definately helps. I've been racking.my brains today trying to tether my BB to my PC. I keep getting a 734 modem error.. Isn't my BB suppose to be my modem???

08-23-09 05:23 PM
    My catch 22 is that my laptop is not on line, so how do download that portion of the ap? I have paid for it, no issues with that, they seem very straightforward, but now how do I get it to work with a Curve 8330 and an ASUS G71GX-RX05 without putting it on line 'somewhere'? One previous post mentioned unloading it from his SD card to his laptop. This would the holy grail for me. I'm not too tech minded, but if you could walk me through it, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance, rippedvanwinkle

08-23-09 05:48 PM
    You would need to use ur desktop manager to extract the file from ur BB.

08-23-09 05:50 PM
    I downloaded the entire file via my blackberry. Saved the zip file to my SD card. I also do not have a pc or laptop with internet access.

Actually I just used explore in windows, navigated to my SD card and opened it up that way. I didn't go through download manager.

08-23-09 05:56 PM
    It definately helps. I've been racking.my brains today trying to tether my BB to my PC. I keep getting a 734 modem error.. Isn't my BB suppose to be my modem???

I had somewhat of a similar problem. I have an 8320 from T-Mobile. I tried many times to use my Curve as a modem on Windows XP but failed with all the right settings. What did I do next, I re-installed Windows Vista to my notebook since that's what it came with originally. What do you know, it worked with Vista but then Vista was crap, slow so I went back to XP and did everything again. It worked like a charm. Now I am able to connect to the internet with my BB. Is not as fast but it helps out in case my cable goes down. So my guess is, it's Windows causing the issue.

Oh by the way, I tried Tetherberry. Works fine but I didn't see the need to pay $50 for the program since I can use it with Desktop Manager right now. I am sure you can use it on multiple computers but you must install the software to every computer you will use it on. Sounds like a pain to me.
    08-23-09 06:00 PM
    If you are looking for a more detailed explanation, attach your bb to your laptop with the usb cable. Right click on the start button in windows, hit explore. Find the drive listed that is your sd card in your blackberry, mine happens to be listed as drive "L". Find the zipped tetherberry file, unzip it to somewhere on your pc, the desktop is always an easy place to find things and that should be that. Now open it up and run tetherberry on your laptop and bb and you should be connected. I had no errors in doing it that way. And tetherberry seems to have decent customer support. That's how I figured it out. Hope that helps. Good luck.

08-23-09 06:06 PM
    I'm trying not to buy tetherberry. Maybe I can find a cracked version :|

08-23-09 06:14 PM
    Can't help ya with any cracked versions sorry

And as far as using it on any computer, how many different computers are you talking about. Unzipping a file off of an sd card is far from being a pain. And I'm guessing you would still have to set up a network on all of those computers you tether with anyway. Without tetherberry it was far from plug and play. IMOA ;-)

08-23-09 06:25 PM
    I only have one computer I'm trying to use it on atm.. But I'm not having much luck doing it the old fashioned way. All my settings are correct but I keep getting the modem error. Do u need an external modem as well as ur BB?

08-23-09 06:36 PM
    I tried and tried getting online by playing with all the settings. There are plenty of threads on here and elsewhere about tethering but for whatevr reason I only got connection errors. I know the $50 price of tetherberry is somewhat steep but to me its been priceless as I have no other internet connection besides my blackberry. I've already saved that money back and then some without any monthly internet fees at home. And when I'm hooked up at 3G which is 99% of the time, its actually pretty decent as far as download speeds.

08-23-09 07:02 PM
    That's awesome! I may just have to go there.

08-24-09 04:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD