HAs anyone used tetherberry on the Curve 8330m in the US? I am looking for some specific recomendations b/4 I fork out the money for a product tehy won't let me test.

I believe it can - but money is tight and I want to spend it where it will do the best.

thanks all,
    Chris
    07-27-09 09:03 PM
    I actually tried TetherBerry yesterday. I'm with TMobile and it worked fine but I wouldn't dish out the $50 for it since I get about the same speeds if I set up my phone as a modem on my notebook. TetherBerry claims that some people hit downloads speeds of 1,400 kpbs. I don't believe that. If so, how did they do it? Cool app, works, but not for me in my opinion.
    07-27-09 09:32 PM
    I use tetherberry on a pearl, so I can't speak from the Curve standpoint, but I think it is an awesome app! Where I live only has one ethernet cable available for internet and so this makes sure I always have some available. I have seen no increase in my bills from it and the one time payment of 50 dollars is better than 39.99 a month from verizon to use their service. I would recommend it, but only if you will use it on a regular basis.
    07-28-09 01:43 AM
    I actually tried TetherBerry yesterday. I'm with TMobile and it worked fine but I wouldn't dish out the $50 for it since I get about the same speeds if I set up my phone as a modem on my notebook. TetherBerry claims that some people hit downloads speeds of 1,400 kpbs. I don't believe that. If so, how did they do it? Cool app, works, but not for me in my opinion.
    Those speeds are certainly possible but not likely on any carrier other than in absolutely ideal conditions and not even possible on your carrier with your phone. If I am not mistaken the Curve on Tmobile can only get GPRS and Edge. You are not going to get any faster than that no matter what kind of software you use, software can't make your physical connection any faster. All tetherberry does is create the phone as a modem connection for you, so it is not going to be any faster and may very well be a bit slower due to the use of prixy servers.
    07-28-09 06:45 AM
    I have TetherBerry on both my 8100 and on my 8900. It works very well and has the advantage that tethering looks like it is the phone using the web rather than tethering to your PC.

Why is this an asset?

Many carriers charge extra for tethering on a monthly basis. If you tether with TetherBerry, they cannot see what you are doing - unless they specifically look.

For me, this is well worth the money.
    07-28-09 06:50 AM
    b/4 I fork out the money for a product tehy won't let me test.

Chris
    They do have a 7 day trial version.

Tether Your BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | TetherBerry
    07-28-09 09:08 AM
    Be careful with verizon I know they've charged people extra as shown on some incredibly long threads on these forums. I can't speak for any other carriers just make sure that they allow it so you don't receive a ridiculous bill in the future

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD