i have a verizon tour. if i get tetherberry to use my phone as a modem is there also the monthly 30 dollar charge from verizon or no?
    01-20-10 09:54 PM
    I'm with sprint, but tether actually tunnels through the BB's internet so it doesn't look like there is a computer attached.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-10 10:04 PM
    First off they upgraded there site it is no longer called tetherberry it is now just called tether. So go to Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | Tether and to your question you will not be charged the extra thirty a month just pay the one time fee for the tether app. i think it is just like 60 bucks. Get tether for sure it will save you that exta 30 every month pays for itself it works pretty well also just as good as verizons tethering.
    01-20-10 10:19 PM
    Be careful. I have heard of some horror stories where people have been caught using this app and have been charged tons of money and even had their service canceled by their providers.
    01-20-10 10:25 PM
    thansk for the info

is this teh cheapest option?

also any discounts every on tether?
    01-20-10 10:27 PM
    Tether was recently (still???) offered for half price or less. So they do occasionally have a sale.

Again, if you overdo its use, you might be charged by verizon. Since you have already been doing a tether plan through Verizon, you probably have an idea of how much data you move.
    01-20-10 10:42 PM
    i would just use it for web browsing and email and aim when the internet is down along with online poker if i get disconnected and am still in a tournament. im sure ill be fine there?
    01-20-10 11:04 PM
    Tether was recently (still???) offered for half price or less. So they do occasionally have a sale.

Again, if you overdo its use, you might be charged by verizon. Since you have already been doing a tether plan through Verizon, you probably have an idea of how much data you move.
    Where can I find this Tether program for half price?

I have Verizon's unlimited calls and data plan ...would they charge me more if they notice I use the fok out of the data plan?
    01-21-10 11:03 PM
    Where can I find this Tether program for half price?

I have Verizon's unlimited calls and data plan ...would they charge me more if they notice I use the fok out of the data plan?
    I think this is a consumer gray area. Search for tether in the forums and read up on some of the horror stories, sort of worst case scenarios. Rumor has it there is a 5 GB cap. where you may not get charged if you go over that, but seems VZW will throw a red flag and investigate. If they are able to find out that you are using Tether, it is a breach of contract and they can charge a large fee, and cancel your line.

So use at your own risk ("unlimited" or not) and make sure you do some homework on tether to decide if it's worth the risk.

EDIT: Crackberry's App Store ran a special on tether for half price. $20-$25 I think. I think it's over now, but I'm sure they'll run it again sometime if you're willing to wait.
    Last edited by Mr.Monty; 01-21-10 at 11:16 PM.
    01-21-10 11:13 PM
    Verizon has no limit on data. I use tether and have asked them many times. Its unlimited.

01-22-10 01:21 AM
    UP to 5GB officially. Just be careful.
    01-22-10 01:53 AM
    Verizon has no limit on data. I use tether and have asked them many times. Its unlimited.

This is what us college educated people call... A hasty generalization.
    01-22-10 02:07 AM
    Doing some homework...

*Post number 22 of this one.
    *This one for information on the 5GB cap for VZW tethering there or not?
    *This is an ongoing discussion about the use of tether.
    *One more: http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/te...happen-179395/

...and so on and so on.

There are many different interpretations on how the ToS is regarding the use of tetherberry without a tethering plan from VZW. A lot of people like to say "Yes it works it's ok if I do it." A lot will say "No since VZW offers a tether package, so using tetherberry is a theft of service/breach of contract." I don't know for sure and nor do I want to imply I do, but I think it's best for the user (more so the account holder) to decide on their own given the information available.

And if you want information from a VZW rep, I would talk to one in person.
    Last edited by Mr.Monty; 01-22-10 at 03:10 AM.
    01-22-10 03:08 AM
    There are specific questions I have about the Tether app which I have not been able to get an answer to...perhaps someone running Tether on Verizon could help...

- What PC operating systems are required??? I have 4 desktop PCs running pretty much all Windows OS's but only one PC is Internet connected.

- Do you do your actual typing/keyboard work on the BlackBerry or the PC/laptop???

- Does BBDM need to be installed??? PC .NET framework???

Any answers appreciated...no guesses, please...

BTW: VWZ does offer their own tethering app for the BB & PC; it costs an extra $30/month on top of your existing plan. They also offer a USB modem for your laptop/PC which is ~$60/month and does not require your BlackBerry to operate.
    01-22-10 07:31 AM
    There are specific questions I have about the Tether app which I have not been able to get an answer to...perhaps someone running Tether on Verizon could help...

- What PC operating systems are required??? I have 4 desktop PCs running pretty much all Windows OS's but only one PC is Internet connected.

- Do you do your actual typing/keyboard work on the BlackBerry or the PC/laptop???

- Does BBDM need to be installed??? PC .NET framework???

Any answers appreciated...no guesses, please...

BTW: VWZ does offer their own tethering app for the BB & PC; it costs an extra $30/month on top of your existing plan. They also offer a USB modem for your laptop/PC which is ~$60/month and does not require your BlackBerry to operate.
    I'm using it on Windows 7. It works very well. I don't use it as a primary internet connection just as a back up and when out on the road. You need to have both pieces of the program to run it one piece gets installed on your Blackberry the other on your PC.

They have a free trial I suggest you down load and give it a try. You will not be disappointed. I just got mine like a week ago CB had it on the front page 50% off.
    01-22-10 08:31 AM
    And as for typing on PC or BB, not sure why you would need to type on your BB unless you are texting or something directly through your BB, your computer will acts just as though you are connected directly to the internet through a network/ethernet/etc.

I have been running it on Windows Vista with no problems, works very well. My speeds have been VERY fast connected via USB (avg 700kbs - 1200kbs) but bluetooth is noticeably slower (avg 400kbs - 700kbs). These are the speeds that I get with about 3 bars of 1XEV, so I am very happy with that. Connected via USB the speeds are almost the same as connecting through my DSL at home.

This app is not meant to replace your current ISP obviously, but comes in very handy when you are away from wifi. I wouldn't go crazy with the data usage, as you don't want to throw up a red flag with Verizon, but either way, it could be a risk if they somehow find out that you are tethering when your contract forbids it. I have yet to see any problems using it through Sprint, but then again I only use the app maybe once a week, it has saved my a$$ a couple of times when I was away from my office and needed to e-mail things from my laptop or place orders online.

Get the free trial and see what you think....
    01-22-10 08:52 AM
    I have used it on both an XP and a Vista Home Premium system.

It is like a "real" internet connection. So you type on whatever computer you want, like a laptop or a desktop. Instead of a network cable (or wireless router system), your BB becomes the "cable" to the outside world. And "cable" is not just usb cable but also Bluetooth.

I am not sure about the need for BBDM or the .net framework (since I probably already have that installed for other apps) They do have a forum so you could ask over there.
    01-22-10 09:26 AM
    I think BBDM may be required only to have the necessary drivers installed for the BB, I could be mistaken...
    01-22-10 09:52 AM
    Is sprint the only carrier that provides software to use your blackberry as a modem? Im not sure why you would want to pay for a program when you can get one for free.
    01-22-10 10:16 AM
    I just got back from my local VWZ store; talked to my favorite salesgirl, got these responses...(take them with a grain of salt; this is Verizon after all)...

* The Separate USB modem for your laptop/PC -

- 5GB cap; $1.99 for each MB afterward
    - This 5GB is combined with your BB usage on your monthly bill
    - Modem is $79.99 w/2 year contract; extra $60/month charge; $50 rebate

* Verizon BlackBerry tether app -

- Will work on Win XP/Win2000; Vista/Windows 7 require an extra app to work
    - BBDM required
    - 5GB cap combined usage
    - Requires software install on PC plus BB download; VWZ will provide install CD
    - 30 day trial
    - $30/month extra for usage

Some of this seems to be contradictory to previously posts/threads; as always, your local VWZ store may tell you differently than what is posted here or elsewhere...

BTW: This was specific to my inquiry about my BlackBerry Tour tethered...Not sure if other models have different concerns...
    Last edited by ferretface; 01-22-10 at 11:44 AM.
    01-22-10 11:36 AM
    Is sprint the only carrier that provides software to use your blackberry as a modem? Im not sure why you would want to pay for a program when you can get one for free.
    bc vzw doesn't do free, it's not in their vocabulary.
    01-22-10 11:36 AM
    Ok I guess I'm wondering what a college education has to do with verizon and I do have one thank you. If you want to believe it is 5 gb then go ahead but this what I've been told and was stating that.

01-22-10 12:55 PM
    I work for Sprint and used to work for US CEllular and I would reccomend that you watch out what you do with anything Tethering. If they catch you using mass amount of Data off of a blackberry they will know you are tethering and they will charge you and i have seen customers get service terminated.
    01-22-10 01:04 PM
    I was looking for information on the 5GB red flag or maximum when I found this:
    __________________________________________________ _________________

Close Window Close this popup window to return to the previous page.

Email and Web for BlackBerry

Use your BlackBerry for personal email and Web surfing.
    • Your email will be “pushed” automatically to your device.
    • Access up to ten POP3 and IMAP email accounts, including Yahoo! Mail, AOL Mail, Windows Live Hotmail, and Verizon.net.
    • Easy email account setup.
    • Voice Usage: Per your voice calling plan.

Required Equipment
    CDMA BlackBerry device with Verizon Wireless software required.
    CDMA Data Roaming

• In the Canadian Broadband and Canadian Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.002 per KB or $2.05 per MB.
    • In the Mexican Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.005 per KB or $5.12 per MB.

For more information on roaming in Canada and Mexico, visit verizonwireless.com/naroaming
    The Email and Web for BlackBerry and Email and Web for Smartphone Features are designed for personal, consumer use and are not compatible with some Internet email service offerings or with email applications utilizing BlackBerry Enterprise Server, BlackBerry Desktop Software, Wireless Sync or Wireless Sync Enterprise Server or Good™ Mobile Messaging. These features cannot be used to tether your device to laptops, personal computers or other devices for any purpose other than syncing of data; any other use is not permitted using these features. Service is only available in the National Enhanced Services and Extended National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas.
    Additional Terms & Conditions apply

2010 Verizon Wireless
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    I hope that this clears things up.

Here is the link: Email and Web for BlackBerry
    Last edited by Mr.Monty; 01-27-10 at 06:59 PM.
    01-27-10 06:56 PM
    I had Verizon before I switched to AT&T and paid the $60.00 for the unlimited plan which is $44.99 for the unlimited BB data service plus $15.00 for the tether option. It has to equal the aircard service fee per a VZW rep. I switched to AT&T because of the 5MGB surprise on my last statement. I downloaded the tetherberry app and used the free 7 day trial and so far it is GREAT!!! Easy to install and works every bit as great as the VZW Access Manager app as well as the AT&T Communication App and what is even better is all the $$$$ being saved!! Try it my fellow CrackBerry Nation members and you will not regret it. Face it, if CrackBerry recommends it that's good enough for me!
    01-29-10 01:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD