04-03-10 09:45 AM
29 12
tools
    I just wanted to say that Tetherberry is one of the greatest apps made for using your BB as a modem for your laptop. To give a perfectly grand explanation why I think this app is just the most amazing thing since sliced bread I have to tell a little story.

This past weekend S.E WY received three to four feet of fresh snow and myself, my brother, father and uncle decided to make a 10 hour trek to the Snowy Range of WY from S.E. South Dakota. As I was traveling across S. Dakota (very boring drive across I90) there isn't much do do so I decided to see whether or not I could stream NetFlix on my laptop via my BB. I started up Tetherberry on the Tour and laptop and logged onto NetFlix and low and behold after about five or so minutes of buffering and such I was watching the movie Live Free or Die Hard while my brother was driving 90mph across S. Dakota.

After this whole snowmobiling adventure and on the way home I needed to get some Quickbook pds invoices emailed off to a few clients of mine I started Tetherberry and low and behold I got a connection even though I had a bar and a half of coverage. I emailed my clients off the invoices that I had promised them ( I would have had to call them to let them know that I was not around any wifi station that my laptop could connect to) and saved the day.

Every time myself or my wife fly out of MSP, FSD, SUX or OMA we always bring along the BB's and the laptop for almost instant free wifi. It is great to know that there are people out there making this amazing applications that really do and can make life so much more enjoyable while traveling.

I think I paid $19.99 for my copy and it has more than paid for itself just in the time it has kept me on the internet and amused. Thanks!!!
    03-30-10 10:40 PM
    I agree, I use it while in our RV away from home in order to keep in touch and keep the home PC from backlogging.
    03-30-10 11:02 PM
    I think that's great that you love that app but i would not use it for major data usage (like netflix) as verizon will eventually take notice browsing the web and e-mail are fine but streaming netflix is a little balls-e .... i have it to it is the greatest thing since sliced bread just don't go caaarazy.. just my opinion..
    03-30-10 11:25 PM
    and by take notice i mean penalize you... using a 3rd party app for tethering is against Verizon and just about all carrier's "Terms of Service".
    03-30-10 11:27 PM
    OK, after such a glowing recommendation...

Any idea where I still find it for closer to $25? Sorry I missed out on that a little while back. I'd like it, but I'm not going to shell out $50 for it unless I really need it.
    03-31-10 02:55 AM
    Quick question... isn't tethering possible via software on your pc? How does this app make it easier / better? Honestly curious, sorry if it's been explained previously.
    03-31-10 05:40 AM
    Quick question... isn't tethering possible via software on your pc? How does this app make it easier / better? Honestly curious, sorry if it's been explained previously.
    I can't imagine it's not possible, but I haven't been able to find any way to do it on Sprint. I've looked too, I live in a basement apartment and don't have any way to get internet here (which sucks) so I could really use a free program to do it (stupid tuition, make me broke lol)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 03:09 PM
    I definetly watch my usage though. Granted there is a 5gig max though on tethering through vzw I have only used 750mb though. What I didn't say was that I only watched a quarter of the movie then went on to usatoday.com, reuters, gmail, etc. I bought Tether on Crackberry when it was on sale for $20 and I have no idea where you can find it for less than the full asking price other than when it goes on sale at Crackberry.

One more and final rant about Tetherberry is that when you go to airports that don't have free wifi and can't get free wifi by going to the front of the doors of the Delta Sky Club, Continental's club, etc and sneaking free wifi from them I just plug in my BB and turn on tetherberry and off I go.

I think VZW does have a tethering system that they regulate but others I do not know about.
    03-31-10 08:15 PM
    to tether with verizon costs an extra $30 dollars every month and with sprint i beleive you have to have some kind of 600 min a month plan plus an extra $30 just to tether.... i think even at full $50 dollar price for tether it's worth it..it will more than pay for it self if you consider the other option of paying an extra $30 (4ever) a month to tether with verizon or sprint...and tether gives you a 7 day "Free" trial just to test out their product to see how much you like it, you can use it as much as you want for 7 days.. i got it on black friday for $25.. if you want to get it cheap i'd look at blackberry appworld often or tether's website and see if it's on sale.. they have more sales then k-mart.. Direct Link to Tether.com
    03-31-10 10:30 PM
    I think that's great that you love that app but i would not use it for major data usage (like netflix) as verizon will eventually take notice browsing the web and e-mail are fine but streaming netflix is a little balls-e .... i have it to it is the greatest thing since sliced bread just don't go caaarazy.. just my opinion..
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

I bought this for myself and my dad a year ago now, back when I had the 1st storm and my dad since then has used this as his primary internet connection, myself, I drive truck and have used this many times to stream full episodes from "Primetime" site channels such as Fox, CBS, NBC and others.

I have on quite a few different occasions checked the monthly bill to see my usage and many, many times have been considerably over the "supposed" 5gb limit, people get so confused by this limit, that limit is if you subscribe to Verizons $30 tether plan, I used to have so I know how it works, VZW's tether is actually a seperate data plan you are being charged for and they can control the limit on, the "Tether" app uses the unlimited data you are already paying for with your "BB Unlimited Data" plan.

I could preach this till I'm blue in the face and there is always gonna be those that disagree, but take it from someone who has used this "faithfully" for almost a year now, it it legit and you are not breaking any law.
    04-01-10 06:51 AM
    well... sweet i hope they never find a way to find out, that'd kinda be like invasion of privacy to, if they were checking how you used your data ? i never thought about that.... didn't say it was breaking a law just against their
    'TOS" which if they did by chance find out you had this tether app, say if you took your device in for service and they noticed the app on there, there "could" be a penalty. not saying it's gonna happen i just think it's possible... i had brought my old 8330 in to get the trackball replaced (so glad i don't have a trackball anymore) and they didn't say anything.... so it's unlikely they will but still possible IMHO...
    04-01-10 11:18 AM
    supermario and itsthemusic will be jumping in here any minute now. Their fingers must be twitching over the keyboard trying to resist, but they won't be able to. This produces a mental picture of an unshaven, unkempt, bleary-eyed recovering alcoholic who was just handed a bottle of scotch and told to ignore it.

04-01-10 11:48 AM
    Tether is probably my fav. app out!! Internet speed has surprised me.
    04-01-10 02:40 PM
    supermario and itsthemusic will be jumping in here any minute now. Their fingers must be twitching over the keyboard trying to resist, but they won't be able to. This produces a mental picture of an unshaven, unkempt, bleary-eyed recovering alcoholic who was just handed a bottle of scotch and told to ignore it.

Now that's funny as he11
    04-01-10 06:49 PM
    OK, after such a glowing recommendation...

Any idea where I still find it for closer to $25? Sorry I missed out on that a little while back. I'd like it, but I'm not going to shell out $50 for it unless I really need it.
    Its on sale for $25 until today! GO GO GO!
    04-02-10 10:40 AM
    ummmm so does this program bypass and somehow try to fool the carrier that your not tethering ? If not then why not just use desktop manager ? Or, for some reason is Desk top manager still carrier related as well ??
    04-02-10 11:05 AM
    ummmm so does this program bypass and somehow try to fool the carrier that your not tethering ? If not then why not just use desktop manager ? Or, for some reason is Desk top manager still carrier related as well ??
    I don't know if it is true or not. Where in DM do you engage tethering? I've read that Verizon does NOT permit it unless you opt for their monthly tether package. Then, again, I don't know if this enables DM or just using some verizon application.
    04-02-10 12:35 PM
    how much trouble is it to use, do you just plug in your phone and go or do you have to adjust settings on your pc or laptop
    04-02-10 01:08 PM
    not sure about 50 but i would probably do 25
    04-02-10 01:09 PM
    how much trouble is it to use, do you just plug in your phone and go or do you have to adjust settings on your pc or laptop
    You download tether onto your pc and download the app on your phone. You open the app and choose how you want to connect both on your phone and your pc. When the connection is made you accept on your phone and you are connected. It works great and is easily worth the $25 if you travel and stay at a hotel that charges for wifi.
    04-02-10 02:12 PM
    in response to F2

In desktop 5.01 simple open it with the BB connected, select IP modem, configure your connection settings, then hit the button that says connect to the internet. Easy as can be, took me all of 20 seconds to tether my BB with this method.
    04-02-10 03:47 PM
    If I could figure out how to post a screen shot here I would post it.
    04-02-10 04:07 PM
    I think I have this figured out.
    04-02-10 04:22 PM
    Thanks. But not only do I still use a hybrid OS .491 on my Verizon Tour but I am still using Desktop Manager 4.6 - my bones (those that have not been replaced) are also old!

I think I've read that it may not work on Verizon but let's see if someone posts.
    04-02-10 07:00 PM
    Thanks. But not only do I still use a hybrid OS .491 on my Verizon Tour but I am still using Desktop Manager 4.6 - my bones (those that have not been replaced) are also old!

I think I've read that it may not work on Verizon but let's see if someone posts.
    04-02-10 07:00 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD