Alright, so I have had my 8330 since xmas and I am only now discovering the wonders of the BB apps... I have played with a few and love them. My question about Tetherberry is: Is it as good as the reviews claim? I am in an area where I can't get highspeed for my laptop, thus I am stuck with crappy dialup. I was told by my Telus provider that if I used my phone as a 'modem' then it wouldn't be covered under my unlimited data plan. If I use tetherberry does it bypass this and slip in under the app?

I just want to make sure I am 100% positive of this option before I test it out.

Thanks!!

Man, what a new world discovering all these great apps!!

Also, thanks to all for logging on and lending a hand to everyone else with issues. Definatley a great place to come for help!!!!
    07-05-09 11:50 AM
    I don't know anything about Telus' policies, but it's likely to be like everyone else: they want you to pay them for tethering. The reason Tetherberry exists is to slip past that. The thing about that is that if Telus catches you doing it, they'll probably fee you pretty badly. It's a breach of your user agreement, or something like that.
    07-05-09 01:52 PM
    ok, thanks for the heads up.
    07-05-09 02:12 PM
    I use Tetherberry occasionally on my Verizon blackberry. I can tell you that it works as advertised for me, but that's all I can tell you.
    07-05-09 02:53 PM
    It is going to be the first app I buy as PAM isn't available. For my use it is a indespindable feature and is the main reason I am going with a Tour over the Pre.
    07-05-09 03:26 PM
    I used it on my 8310, and now use it on my Bold, it works great for me.
    07-05-09 04:21 PM
    So its doesn't charge you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-09 04:46 PM
    So its doesn't charge you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Tetherberry costs money to buy and to get an account with them. Its whole existence is for sidestepping the need to pay your carrier for tethering. The makers of Tetherberry do not charge monthly, just once for the app/account IIRC.

If you're caught, your carrier will certainly send some charges your way. It's arguable how easy/hard it is to get caught. I can't really say one way or the other. I personally wouldn't risk it, especially since this risk costs money to begin with. I'm not going to pay money in order to gamble my account.

I also heard they tunnel all your traffic through their servers. I don't quite trust that. I'd prefer that my login details don't get fed through some 3rd party's servers, all the while clogging my data connection
    07-05-09 06:18 PM
    i use it on my bb storm verizon. And they dont charge you UNLESS you got over the 5GB cap THEN they notice THEN they not only charge you for back usage. and either slow down ur bb wireless internet speed or end their contract with you perm.
    07-06-09 03:49 PM
    If I drive on the highway occasionally at 75mph in a 65mph zone and have not been caught.. Does that make it legal? ..umm, nope.

You are violating your ToS with Verizon...that is the undisputable fact..

i use it on my bb storm verizon. And they dont charge you UNLESS you got over the 5GB cap THEN they notice THEN they not only charge you for back usage. and either slow down ur bb wireless internet speed or end their contract with you perm.
    07-07-09 09:35 AM
    It works great, but you definitely need to have an unlimited plan.
    07-07-09 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD