I think it costs too much, you might as well do the old school tethering that is not exactly permitted.
    Unless you have the tethering plan.
    03-21-09 07:41 PM
    I do it manual and only use it if I'm without a connection to the net. If AT&T catches it, what is the penalty?
    03-21-09 07:50 PM
    ATT will come to your house, present you with the TOS that you have desecrated, brand you, and take your first born for not being a loyal subject. So I've heard from my brother's neighbor who has a former roommate that once played golf with an ATT exec. Someone else said it was fifty lashes.

Seriously, I don't know. I'd assume the worst they can do is terminate your plan, but I would think that would be counterproductive. They are in the business of making money, not punishing customers. I know guys that have been doing it for years on Treos, with no consequences whatsoever.
    03-21-09 09:35 PM
    I do it manual and only use it if I'm without a connection to the net. If AT&T catches it, what is the penalty?
    exactly the same penalty you would get for using tetherberry...they suspend your account and you would have to call them to get the suspension lifted....they then read you the riot act and tell you that if you continue to do it they will terminate your account...
    03-21-09 09:57 PM
    perfect example...tetherberry is like jiffy lube..you can pay them 20 bucks to change your oil or you can do it yourself for free...

Well.....you forget the cost of a filter $3.50 and the price of oil $12-18. Then add in the time and hassle of taking the used oil to the waste disposal....not free.

Picked up the Tetherberry program while I was abroad (I was a beta tester and paid $40) and got stuck in Narita overnight while we were on our way back.

The hotel that we were put up in had a very poor internet connection and while I don't mind browsing on the bbrowser, it's kind of hard to work out connection flights on the airline website using it.

Connected the tetherberry and was able to browse the NWA website and discuss with our travel agent over the phone alternate ways of getting home.

Worked great. For $40 I thought it was worth it. Don't know about paying $60 for it (which I see is what the price is now) but at $40, I personally feel it was well spent money.

for those of you who have been considering it, just wanted to let you all know this.
    03-30-09 01:51 PM
    Thank you everyone for your ample feedback. I ended up picking it up several days ago and think it works great. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Chris
    03-30-09 03:28 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD