Is it worth it? Does it cost you anything as far as your monthly bill for your mobile plan goes?

Chris
    03-19-09 10:45 PM
    I know people have this, lol. Help a guy out.

Chris
    03-20-09 07:21 AM
    I actually grabbed it earlier this week, as my regular ISP (Speakeasy) had an outage for a good 8 hours or so. Ran a couple of speed tests, got results ranging from 1Mbit to 1.5Mbit down, 500Kbit to 750kbit up. The intentions of tetherberry, vs using regular tethering was that it doesn't appear as tethering to your provider, so it *shouldn't* cost you anything other than any other data than you've used on your phone.

Good luck with it, it's a bit pricey, but it saved me from not having internet (let me get some work done)
    03-20-09 07:36 AM
    Is it worth it? Does it cost you anything as far as your monthly bill for your mobile plan goes?

Chris
    tetherberry is a borderline scam app if you ask me...
    why would you pay $60 for something that you can do for free with your Bold?
    the penalties are EXACTLY the same if ATT catches you tethering without tethering on your plan

from their FAQ: Will I be charged additional fees or tethering fees from using TetherBerry?
    This is really hard for us to answer. Each carrier has unique contracts with each individual. Our phone uses your normal Blackberry data plan. Although most carriers say they are offering you a unlimited plan there are usually 5 GB caps. Please review your carrier's contract

Allocation of Risk. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU MAY INCUR ADDITIONAL CARRIER COSTS, AND THAT YOUR PLAN MAY BE TERMINATED BY YOUR CARRIER FOR VIOLATION OF YOUR CARRIER’S FAIR USE POLICY OR TERMS OF SERVICE.

the bottom line is IMHO its a total waste of money .....do a search and follow one of the threads on how to tether your BB...i do that and i also get 1.8Mbps speeds...you get no added protection by using tetherberry....
    Last edited by giantfan30; 03-20-09 at 08:28 AM.
    03-20-09 08:25 AM
    I couldnt find pricing at the tetherberry www site.

How much is it per month? or what is their pricing scheme?
    03-20-09 08:26 AM
    I couldnt find pricing at the tetherberry www site.

How much is it per month? or what is their pricing scheme?
    its a $60 dollar flat rate....which allows you to teher your BB
    i can do exactly the same thing for free without paying anybody $60 bucks
    there is no benefit to tetherberry
    03-20-09 08:30 AM
    its a $60 dollar flat rate....which allows you to teher your BB
    i can do exactly the same thing for free without paying anybody $60 bucks
    there is no benefit to tetherberry
    I dont have it but if what they claim is accurate that your carrier wont realize that you are tethering (and your carrier charges for tethering) then it may be money well spent.

That said, I have ATT, charges for tethering, and I tether and havent been caught yet. I tether occasionally and when I do it is only for looking at www sites, no music or video downloads?
    03-20-09 08:34 AM
    Don't mind the "hall monitors", it works great. As long as you don't abuse the bandwith, most carriers won't even notice you. If you abuse the bandwith, they will come after you even if you pay tethering fees with you carrier. The carriers can only judge your usage form the amount data you transfer, 5GB seems to be the magic number, that's a lot of data for the average user. If you stream HD movies or otherwise transfer large amounts of data on a regular basis, wireless broadband is not the best choice.
    03-20-09 09:00 AM
    I dont have it but if what they claim is accurate that your carrier wont realize that you are tethering (and your carrier charges for tethering) then it may be money well spent.

That said, I have ATT, charges for tethering, and I tether and havent been caught yet. I tether occasionally and when I do it is only for looking at www sites, no music or video downloads?
    tetherberry is asking for money to allow you to do EXACTLY what you are doing right now for free
    nowhere in their faq do they say your carrier will not know.....
    read my post at 08:25 i copied and pasted portions of their faq....
    bottom line is they are asking you for $60 to do EXACTLY what both you and i do for free right now...they affer no protections from ATT when they find out and shut your account down......what they are offering is a false sense of security for the uninformed user while buried in ther faq is this gem >>>>Allocation of Risk. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU MAY INCUR ADDITIONAL CARRIER COSTS, AND THAT YOUR PLAN MAY BE TERMINATED BY YOUR CARRIER FOR VIOLATION OF YOUR CARRIER�S FAIR USE POLICY OR TERMS OF SERVICE.
    thats the same risk i have tethering for free without paying anybody $60
    what am i giving them $60 for?
    03-20-09 09:04 AM
    Don't mind the "hall monitors", it works great. As long as you don't abuse the bandwith, most carriers won't even notice you. If you abuse the bandwith, they will come after you even if you pay tethering fees with you carrier. The carriers can only judge your usage form the amount data you transfer, 5GB seems to be the magic number, that's a lot of data for the average user. If you stream HD movies or otherwise transfer large amounts of data on a regular basis, wireless broadband is not the best choice.
    aaagh the resident smartass has arrived....
    lemme break it down for you another way
    i tether my bold when i need to..if i dont abuse it(over 5GB) and monitor my usage ATT does nothing about it..i have been doing this for over a year now..i get approx 1.0 to 1.8 Mbps speeds..this is totally FREE

here comes tetherberry..for $60 they will allow me to tether and get 1.0- 1.8Mbps speeds if i dont abuse it and keep my usage under 5GB ATT will probably not notice and it would be smooth sailing..the rewards and penalty for me is EXACTLY the same if i use tetherberry or if i tether using the FREE method thats all over this forum
    my point is why would i pay $60 for an app that offers me exactly the same thing i would get if i used the free method
    03-20-09 09:15 AM
    I know people have this, lol. Help a guy out.

Chris
    Tron i just bought this yesterday for my boss. 2 quick downloads and a USB connection later i was online. It worked seemlessly. Other users do seem to have problems if you read their forum posts.

Either way though you have up to 30 days after purchase to decide if you want to return it.

-Ken
    03-20-09 11:39 AM
    aaagh the resident smartass has arrived....
    lemme break it down for you another way
    i tether my bold when i need to..if i dont abuse it(over 5GB) and monitor my usage ATT does nothing about it..i have been doing this for over a year now..i get approx 1.0 to 1.8 Mbps speeds..this is totally FREE

here comes tetherberry..for $60 they will allow me to tether and get 1.0- 1.8Mbps speeds if i dont abuse it and keep my usage under 5GB ATT will probably not notice and it would be smooth sailing..the rewards and penalty for me is EXACTLY the same if i use tetherberry or if i tether using the FREE method thats all over this forum
    my point is why would i pay $60 for an app that offers me exactly the same thing i would get if i used the free method
    I wasn't referring so much to you as some of the people on countless other TetherBerry related threads. They just keep repeating how immoral it is to tether without paying the tethering fees, and how Verizon/ATT will come to your house, present you with the TOS that you have desecrated, brand you, and take your first born for not being a loyal subject.

As far as the $60 for TetherBerry, that's a matter of personal finance. It does work, and it is fast and easy to set up. The way I see it, you can't even get a decent lap dance for $60 anymore.

Damn, you are right, I am a smartass. Not so much resident, but a smartass nonetheless. Peace.
    Last edited by crisd; 03-20-09 at 07:21 PM.
    03-20-09 06:44 PM
    So at this point I am totally unclear.

Does tetherberry create some sort of facade so that my carrier will not be able to "SEE" that I am tethering my laptop?

OR

Does tetherberry simply make setting up tethering easy?

TIA
    03-20-09 09:17 PM
    I use this app to connect various other systems to the BlackBerry. This app is just easier to get unknown systems to connect without changing settings on their computers. You can use only on one BlackBerry but can use any pc.
    For the ease of use and not changing any settings on others laptops or desktops other than telling firewall to allow app to run this is easy and very sweet.
    03-21-09 03:42 AM
    If TetherBerry did something tricky like tether the BIS connection to the modem, then that would be something interesting; I don't think this app does this.
    03-21-09 03:57 AM
    If TetherBerry did something tricky like tether the BIS connection to the modem, then that would be something interesting; I don't think this app does this.
    I'm not sure, but I think it might, when I was paying for tethering there was a meter on my online profile that showed how much data I used that month. Now that meter's gone. With that said, you will still raise a flag if you use close to the 5GB limit.

As far as a facade, I dont think you are hiding your tethering more than not reporting it. If a carrier wants to see how much data, through what methods you are using, they can. But they have to look for it. That would involve significant resources to check on all BIS users. That's where not raising a flag comes in. If you fly under the radar with TetherBerry or giantfan30's method you should be ignored by the carrier, if you "abuse" the bandwidth they will know.
    03-21-09 08:28 AM
    I'm not sure, but I think it might, when I was paying for tethering there was a meter on my online profile that showed how much data I used that month. Now that meter's gone. With that said, you will still raise a flag if you use close to the 5GB limit.

As far as a facade, I dont think you are hiding your tethering more than not reporting it. If a carrier wants to see how much data, through what methods you are using, they can. But they have to look for it. That would involve significant resources to check on all BIS users. That's where not raising a flag comes in. If you fly under the radar with TetherBerry or giantfan30's method you should be ignored by the carrier, if you "abuse" the bandwidth they will know.
    neither method hides anything..both methods violate your terms of service with your carrier unless you have an account that allows tethering
    03-21-09 08:42 AM
    Thanks for the all the info...I am one of those folks who was able to figure out tethering with the help of goooooooogle and other resources. I see no need for tetherberry.
    03-21-09 10:32 AM
    I have ThetherBerry and it works great. I use it on two separate laptops and it installed just fine on both.

Of course it is possible to do this by manually adding a modem and tethering and, yes you can do this for free. The definitive thread for this on CrackBerry is here http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...y-modem-19093/.

I have made this free method work on several PCs and 3 separate phones.

The key points about TetherBerry are:
    - The process is automated and easy and works every time.
    - it uses your data-plan to communicate in a way that you carrier will think that you are simply browsing with the BlackBerry browser on your phone. With some carriers this will remove the need to buy the tethering add-on to your plan at extra cost.

You really need to work out if this saving is worthwhile to you and how long it will take to pay you back before you buy the product.

If you are not technically super competent and don't wish to pay an additional data plan charge then I reckon the $39.99 price is worth the ticket.
    03-21-09 10:52 AM
    Yah, there is no need for tetherberry. It is just another way for someone to make a dollar. all you need to do is setup a basic dialup connection in windows and have it dial #777. real easy... and FREE!

Also, carriers cannot determine phone data v. tethering data, (i work for sprint/nextel/alltel/verizon). on my personal blackberry i use over 10 gigs a month of data, it is my only means of connecting to the internet and i stream hulu all the time

alltels tethering option is unlimited as well, there is no set cap of data to worry about which makes tethering a worry free situation
    03-21-09 11:10 AM
    Yah, there is no need for tetherberry. It is just another way for someone to make a dollar. all you need to do is setup a basic dialup connection in windows and have it dial #777. real easy... and FREE!

Also, carriers cannot determine phone data v. tethering data, (i work for sprint/nextel/alltel/verizon). on my personal blackberry i use over 10 gigs a month of data, it is my only means of connecting to the internet and i stream hulu all the time

alltels tethering option is unlimited as well, there is no set cap of data to worry about which makes tethering a worry free situation
    It depends very much upon the carrier. Tethering goes out on a different IP port and can be blocked by the carrier at will. Many carriers do just this to make an extra buck. If yous does not do this (mne does not) then you can get the same result for free if you know what you are doing.

I am not avocating buying this product if you do not need it but there IS a market in the same way that we do not all need to buy ready made clothes. Some people can make their own from cloth and a needle and thread. Most however choose to buy ready made from stores.

I am a telecoms and IT person and I am well able to make tehering work without TetherBerry but I have it because it allows me to bypass extra charges when travelling abroad and it works every time, even when I have updates my PC or my phone.
    03-21-09 11:16 AM

The key points about TetherBerry are:
    - The process is automated and easy and works every time.
    - it uses your data-plan to communicate in a way that you carrier will think that you are simply browsing with the BlackBerry browser on your phone. With some carriers this will remove the need to buy the tethering add-on to your plan at extra cost.
    Pete, you are now saying something a little different than what was discussed earlier. You are saying that tetherberry uses the data-plan to communicate in a way that the carrier will think it is the blackberry.

So does tetherberry create some sort of facade to fool the carrier? if so then it IS different than simply creating a manual connection!

And if it does make the carrier think you are simply using the blackberry when tethering, how can the carrier prove you are tethering?
    Last edited by superduty1; 03-21-09 at 01:29 PM.
    03-21-09 11:36 AM
    Pete, you are now saying something a little than what was discussed earlier. You are saying that tetherberry uses the data-plan to communicate in a way that the carrier will think it is the blackberry.

So does tetherberry create some sort of facade to fool the carrier? if so then it IS different than simply creating a manual connection!

And if it does make the carrier think you are simply using the blackberry when tethering, how can the carrier prove you are tethering?
    no it does not..go read the tetherberry terms of service (#8 and #9) it will answer this question for you
    there is only one way to tether.....tetherberry didnt discover some new hidden method
    perfect example...tetherberry is like jiffy lube..you can pay them 20 bucks to change your oil or you can do it yourself for free...
    03-21-09 01:14 PM
    I have seen a number of posts in which people claim to get it for free without explaining if it is a wireless connection they get for free or if they tether a cell phone phone for free. I am not a novice, but I can't write a program. I know my limitations and one of them is that I don't want to spend a bunch of time to hunt and peck how to do it for free so I paid the $40 (yes I would pay $60). I am using an 8830 on which I have downloaded the 4.5 OS including Sprint TV, and writing this post as a passenger in a car traveling 70 mph down I-95. What a hoot. I think that it is well worth the money if you don't expect to use it as your main gateway to the Net. Sprint SE plan and I won't use anywhere near 5 gig per month.
    03-21-09 06:59 PM
    I think it costs too much, you might as well do the old school tethering that is not exactly permitted.
    03-21-09 07:10 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD