Since your BB charges when you plug it in to your laptop (and I assume you need to plug the BB in to the computer to tether) how long would power last before needing to plug in. I have a stock batery in my laptop and if I use it for about about 2 hours normally I need to plug it in. I'm wondering about how much battery life would diminish for the laptop charging the bb and then eventually running the bb when at full charge. Thanks in advance.
    04-02-10 02:33 PM
    If your laptop has bluetooth you can connect that way as well. Then it would just be the normal time for your laptop battery and your phone battery.
    04-02-10 03:04 PM
    If your laptop has bluetooth you can connect that way as well. Then it would just be the normal time for your laptop battery and your phone battery.
    Did not realize that. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 03:39 PM
    BT uses a bunch of power too.
    04-02-10 04:02 PM
    I dont really find that it is that much of a drain on your battery when you tether.... Id compare it to normal wifi usage? My macbook pro has a killer battery though. I normally get 4 - 5 hours on wifi... the same with tether on my storm 2.
    04-02-10 05:03 PM
    i find that the usb connection is faster than the bluetooth
    04-03-10 09:49 PM
    I bought BB Tether 1.1.0.2, and now 1.1.0.6. USB mode works fine with my BB 9550 (connection speeds ~ 1100/ 600 Kbps)
    but the Bluetooth inquiry fails to connect or find the tether service on the (paired) device.

I am running the following:
    - Phone: Verizon Storm 2 (9550) with OS 5.0.0.607
    - Computer : Dell Latitude D630 with Win XP SP 3
    - Bluetooth drivers: Widcomm 5.5.0.4400 bluetooth stack & Broadcom 2046 Bluetooth adapter (FW 2.2.14.818)

First I successfully connect the BB 9550 to PC via Bluetooth ( phone reads "Connected to PC via Bluetooth" ).
    Didn't have problems pairing with phone's tether service - My Bluetooth Places shows "Blackberry 9550 Tether, Connected (COM21)"

Next, the Tether application on the PC shows the following:
    1. Waiting for inquiry to complete
    2. Checking for Tether on Bluetooth devices
    (next I select Blackberry 9550 in Bluetooth Devices dialog that appears)
    3. "Tether - Error" dialog appears: "Could not find the tether service on the device"
    4. Disconnecting from Bluetooth
    5. Socket error (10108)
    6. Starting inquiry (and the process starts over at step 1...)

I am a advanced user, and searched help forums online before posting.
    What else should I try? There doesn't seem to be a way to force a Tether com port other than 21, or config the app to use it. Thanks.
    05-19-10 11:04 AM
    I bought BB Tether 1.1.0.2, and now 1.1.0.6. USB mode works fine with my BB 9550 (connection speeds ~ 1100/ 600 Kbps)
    but the Bluetooth inquiry fails to connect or find the tether service on the (paired) device.

- Bluetooth drivers: Widcomm 5.5.0.4400 bluetooth stack & Broadcom 2046 Bluetooth adapter (FW 2.2.14.818)

First I successfully connect the BB 9550 to PC via Bluetooth ( phone reads "Connected to PC via Bluetooth" ).
    Didn't have problems pairing with phone's tether service - My Bluetooth Places shows "Blackberry 9550 Tether, Connected (COM21)"

3. "Tether - Error" dialog appears: "Could not find the tether service on the device"
    5. Socket error (10108)

What else should I try? There doesn't seem to be a way to force a Tether com port other than 21, or config the app to use it. Thanks.
    I betcha tether has free support coz its an expensive app. Have you tried contacting them?
    05-19-10 11:15 AM

5. Socket error (10108)

Do not start with connecting the PC and Storm via BT. Tether takes care of that for you. Once the initial pairing is done between the two devices, then you just need to fire up tether on the PC and on the Storm and select BT on both. Tether will take care of connecting the devices via BT on both.
    05-19-10 12:44 PM
    Do not start with connecting the PC and Storm via BT. Tether takes care of that for you. Once the initial pairing is done between the two devices, then you just need to fire up tether on the PC and on the Storm and select BT on both. Tether will take care of connecting the devices via BT on both.
    I was about to chime in and say this. You beat me to it.
    05-19-10 01:00 PM
    New upgrade available. Looks nice.
    05-19-10 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD