Dumb question. I have a few week old 9650 and Verizon. I have the unlimited data plan. I was interested in tethering my laptop, but not for more monthly money to Verizon (each and every month...). I see the one time fee App is on the blog today and on sale. Will that App plus my unlimited Verizon data plan avoid any additional monthly charges from our friends at Verizon or do they catch up with you eventually.... The App seems to have good reviews? I assume folks are using it on Verizon? Thanks.
    08-31-10 09:00 AM
    It works well, for the occasional times I need to get on line and I am not in a hot spot. But there is no guarantee that you will not see additionalk charges from Verizon. Tether circumvents the fine print in your contract with Verizon. And if they catch you, you will most likely lose your service.

Most people that use it sparingly have absolutely no problems. But that chance does exist.
    08-31-10 09:35 AM
    . I have the unlimited data plan.
    Also, I wanted to make sure you understand that this is not truly unlimited data. There is a 5 GB cap. And if you use the Tether a lot, you will exceed the cap and Verizon will come calling...
    08-31-10 09:41 AM
    Just be careful with it and don't abuse the situation. More than likely if they catch you they will just try and charge you. In this competitive market I doubt they would cancel you.
    08-31-10 09:45 AM
    My girlfriend uses Tether regularly on Verizon. No word from them yet. She uses around 75MB a month using Tether.
    Last edited by devious101; 08-31-10 at 10:42 AM.
    08-31-10 10:38 AM
    I am using it now... on trial, this is cool

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-10 10:41 AM
    unless you're gonna be wtching videos on your laptop 24/7 while listening to pandora and downloading Gigabytes of files.... then there's nothing to worry..
    08-31-10 10:51 AM
    Also, I wanted to make sure you understand that this is not truly unlimited data. There is a 5 GB cap. And if you use the Tether a lot, you will exceed the cap and Verizon will come calling...
    Since when is there a cap? Only with the sanctioned tethering officially with verizon is there any 5g cap. Via our devices there is no cap on the unlimitd data plans. This has been discussed to death on these forums. Using the tether app tho it is very wise to stay with in reasonable limits to stay under the radar.

08-31-10 11:19 AM
    Tethering from Verizon isn't that much more expensive but they're right, if you only need to use it every once-in-a-while then you're good to go. She used 75MB, that's NOTHING compared to what I use on my aircard. Keep in mind the data can jump pretty quickly. Unfortunately, Verizon is the worst carrier to try and get free tethering from. It's a whole lot easier on every American carrier. I would say if you plan on using it more than once or twice a week then I would just pay the $15 extra dollars a month and get your legitimate tethering.

08-31-10 11:26 AM
    Since when is there a cap? Only with the sanctioned tethering officially with verizon is there any 5g cap. Via our devices there is no cap on the unlimitd data plans. This has been discussed to death on these forums. Using the tether app tho it is very wise to stay with in reasonable limits to stay under the radar.

This is no cap, HOWEVER there is language in the ToS, that require us to maintain reasonable use which they define as use of less than 5Gs per month. Rumor has it, if an account goes over 5Gs in a given month Verizon will review the account and at it's option CAN cancel the contract. I believe they have NEVER done this without at least warning the customer at least once. Plus I know folks who have gone over 5 and NOT been warned, charged, or canceled.

That being said, use of tether IS technically a violation of your verizon contract so please do so at your own risk, and I would advise caution and moderation.
    08-31-10 11:28 AM
    Maybe I will try and get the most amount of dl rates possible and see what happens...=))
    08-31-10 12:01 PM
    Tethering from Verizon isn't that much more expensive but they're right, if you only need to use it every once-in-a-while then you're good to go. She used 75MB, that's NOTHING compared to what I use on my aircard. Keep in mind the data can jump pretty quickly. Unfortunately, Verizon is the worst carrier to try and get free tethering from. It's a whole lot easier on every American carrier. I would say if you plan on using it more than once or twice a week then I would just pay the $15 extra dollars a month and get your legitimate tethering.

I understand and use wifi at home and work so I won't be using it all that much for data. The one time fee of only about 2 months of Verizon charges and the fact that I am very UNlikely to trigger any data usage watches makes me think that if this is a well designed app, its perfect for my situation?
    08-31-10 12:01 PM
    That being said, use of tether IS technically a violation of your verizon contract so please do so at your own risk, and I would advise caution and moderation.
    Can I have somebody dumb this down for me, I've never "tethered"...How does Verizon know you are tethering data to a laptop, and not just surfing the web using your phone? Once the data stream hits the phone how do they know it then is sent to a laptop?
    08-31-10 01:26 PM
    they can get a general idea based on the amount of data transfered to you device. You can only dl so much data to a phone
    08-31-10 01:37 PM
    they can get a general idea based on the amount of data transfered to you device. You can only dl so much data to a phone
    Also wondering of they can track your PIN and see where you are going and what software you are using? Some of it would not be available on your BB and only windows based, flash, etc. Sorry for the big brother paranoia but just wondering.....
    08-31-10 03:39 PM
    Possibly another dumb question. I want to buy Tether to bypass Verizon but do I have to re-purchase the software if I replace the phone?

Thanks for any help. Hoping to jump on this sale.
    08-31-10 03:46 PM
    I bought tether a few months ago when it was the Deal of the Day (like it is again today), best $25 I've spent on my BB. I have switched devices twice and have not had to buy a new copy. They do email you a license code to use, and i enter that everytime i switch devices. I have not tried if you can use the same code concurrently.

I use it mostly while waiting for flights and dont want to pay the multiple connection fees while traveling.
    08-31-10 04:39 PM
    Get it while it's on sale now you will be happy. I too use it sparingly and when in airports, vacations, etc. I wouldn't use it everyday but it's sure a great thing to have when you need it.
    08-31-10 05:44 PM
    Tether is great as a back up internet provider with the way we have been getting storms and with it knocking out our broadband provider this will be a great help in a power outage or during a broadband outage.
    08-31-10 07:16 PM
    I tether every day without the tether program, don't know that you can on vzw? But I don't stream or download a bunch of stuff. I'm mainly on IM, surfing and in some chat rooms and I haven't gone over 800mb. So if you don't abuse it you can easily use it everyday.
    08-31-10 07:57 PM
    Did it. I am sure I'll get my $25 back in no time. Download was easy. Installation took a little while on a Win7 laptop. Connecting the actual tether (laptop to BB to internet) was easy via USB. Thanks for all of the great advice and I'll let you know if the Verizon police come knockin'.
    08-31-10 09:32 PM
    I love that you can use bluetooth too

08-31-10 11:08 PM
    Used it this am. Took an extra minute to tether to the netbook as I had to view some docs and surf the web. Having the 10" netbook screen and being able to surf with Firefox instead of Bolt, complete with all my bookmarks was a very nice change of pace. I can see this being very useful. Speed was not quite wifi, but very good and usable. Hopefully OS 6 will be around soon as I do find trying to use the native browser and Bolt to be tough to do for any real tasks. Great App.
    09-01-10 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD