Has anyone used this with verizon? If so did u get billed any extra?
    06-18-10 11:48 AM
    I used the free trial quite a bit for a week and didn't get charged any extra on my bill. Extremely easy to set up and works great! If I have a spare $50 soon, I'll be getting it, unless I can find out an easy way to do it for free.
    06-18-10 12:49 PM
    I just discovered that the new Android software will allow the Incredible (and other Android based phones) to be set up as a mobile WIFI hotspot...for free! I am eligible to upgrade from my old BB Curve on July 5th, and had been leaning toward the new Bold 9650. But this one feature alone is enough to make me reconsider the Incredible!
    06-18-10 01:44 PM
    I have it and use it speradically and have never been charged. I just use it responsibly and do not download files or music. I surf very basic sites and I keep my kb usage to no more than 3 to 5gb a month (with the 5gb softcap in mind)

use it dont abuse it and you'll be fine!
    06-18-10 01:49 PM
    I was using pdanet(same thing) because it's cheaper and the trial is longer, but tether is the better app as far as ease of use and connects much quicker, seldom drops the connection etc. That said tho as mentioned just don't go nuts and you should be ok. I have yet to go over 4gb/month. I've never been billed and been using about a year.(various devices)
    06-18-10 02:22 PM
    i use tethering through Verizon. Works well. 10 bucks a month (company money). If you will be using it often I would by tether, rather than pay through the carrier.
    06-18-10 02:47 PM
    I have had Tether for months, I also use it sporatically and responsibly and have never heard a word from vzw. It is a great product, works very well and easy to use.
    06-18-10 03:50 PM
    Just started using Tether in the past 3 weeks. It was great while I was traveling and stuck in SLC airport for 2+ hours. I, too, don't do music and high bandwidth type stuff. I got it for $24.95 at 1/2 off from here. Well worth it.
    06-18-10 10:07 PM
    Just started using Tether in the past 3 weeks. It was great while I was traveling and stuck in SLC airport for 2+ hours. I, too, don't do music and high bandwidth type stuff. I got it for $24.95 at 1/2 off from here. Well worth it.
    Awesome 50% off man. I wish that deal was still around my trial's about up.
    06-18-10 10:39 PM
    I've used it with both the 8330 and the 9650. Great product. Got it for half off also. Best download speed with the Bold was 1.2mbps, average .56mbps. No extra charge if you use it wisely.
    06-19-10 11:52 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. I will give it a try and not go nuts with it. Thanks!
    06-21-10 02:05 PM
    Tether is actually 50% off right now off the site Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | Tether.
    06-21-10 02:13 PM
    I use it and it's great. I didn't get the 1/2 off deal, but I did buy it at a reduced price. Regardless, it pays for itself quickly when compared with paying the monthly tethering fee to Verizon. As others have said, be sure to use it wisely and you'll have no problems.
    06-22-10 12:18 AM
    I have used 8 GB with Tether. Verizon says I truly have unlimited usage with my Blackberry email data plan. No worries. I have 3 tether accts in my house.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-10 12:29 AM
    I have it, but I only use it when needed. I use it for those times I'm on vacation and need to look something up on my laptop, and there's no WiFi for my laptop at the time.

06-22-10 01:05 AM
    No..Verizon does NOT say that..

direct from verizon terms of service..

Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
    These Wireless Email plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device�s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

I have used 8 GB with Tether. Verizon says I truly have unlimited usage with my Blackberry email data plan. No worries. I have 3 tether accts in my house.

06-22-10 09:40 AM
    I have it, but I only use it when needed. I use it for those times I'm on vacation and need to look something up on my laptop, and there's no WiFi for my laptop at the time.

Now that you mention it, I think this would work well for me on vacation too. The hotel we stay in doesn't have WiFi, so using the 9650 to tether would work well in a pinch. Can someone explain how this works? Does it use the USB to micro-USB cable? Thanks!
    06-22-10 11:12 AM
    Now that you mention it, I think this would work well for me on vacation too. The hotel we stay in doesn't have WiFi, so using the 9650 to tether would work well in a pinch. Can someone explain how this works? Does it use the USB to micro-USB cable? Thanks!
    Yes. It uses the USB cable. I power up the application on the PC, then the phone. For some reason it won't recognize the phone at times. While both apps are running (phone and PC), I simply inplug the USB cable then plug it back in. It syncs and works fine after that. It came in handy a few times when I was unable to view certain sites from my phone because their menus and layout contained Flash.

06-22-10 11:24 AM
    Is there a difference between purchasing it from this sight, and downloading the vz manager from verizon and paying a monthly fee?
    06-22-10 11:45 AM
    It also should be noted that the Tether application (formerly tetherberry) can also work using Bluetooth which can be handy.

Purchasing Tether is a separate application much like Berryweather or meterberry. You pay for it ONCE and you own it and use it. I believe the Verizon thing is a monthly charge and so you pay for the service over and over (unless they have a one time usage scheme).
    06-22-10 01:22 PM
    It also should be noted that the Tether application (formerly tetherberry) can also work using Bluetooth which can be handy.

Purchasing Tether is a separate application much like Berryweather or meterberry. You pay for it ONCE and you own it and use it. I believe the Verizon thing is a monthly charge and so you pay for the service over and over (unless they have a one time usage scheme).
    Verizon charges $15 a month. I guess i'm better off purchasing the tether application then.
    06-22-10 03:51 PM

The other thing is that it is transferable to a new BlackBerry if you change devices. I originally purchased it for my 8830 and I am now using it on my new 9650.
    06-22-10 09:09 PM
    Ive had it for awhile, and it works well. A time or 2, it would indicate no packets being received, and it would not connect....a simple computer and phone reboot, and all was well. My cable internet was out for 3 days, and Im glad I had Tether. Transfering Tether from the 9630 to a 9650 tomorrow.
    06-22-10 09:33 PM
    read my prior post....

the difference between paying VZ $15/mo or Tether $50 is that one is legal and one is illegal to use...

Verizon charges $15 a month. I guess i'm better off purchasing the tether application then.
    06-23-10 05:39 AM
    Two things:
    1) I'm assuming the only way to check data usage is via your carrier? In my case, Verizon's website.
    2) With rumors that Verizon is going to do away with "unlimited" plans, is there any hope that they'll change their tethering policy?
    06-23-10 08:59 AM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD