Is that true? The simply everything plan states it does not include tethering; however, the few times I have done it I've not seen charges. Just figured they would come later or I wasn't on long enough. Would be great if blackberries were part of the plan.
    I'm with Sprint as well and I have it in writing from them that I would not incur additional charges from Sprint for PAM data usage since I had one of the simply everything data plans.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-09 09:51 PM
    I'm with Sprint as well and I have it in writing from them that I would not incur additional charges from Sprint for PAM data usage since I had one of the simply everything data plans.

wow lol how did you manage to get that in writing...
    08-29-09 11:56 PM
    If your plans allows for unlimited data, or up to 5gb of data, how is using that data allowance stealing? You are paying for the right to use that bandwidth and _they_ don't credit your account if you don't use it all ...

The software is legit (from RIM's own web site) and Sprint still has the infrastructure in place to handle it ... It would be different if you have to crack the case and cross 2 wires or download pirated software.

This is simply using what is already there and staying within bounds of the data service that you are paying for.

This is what I am thinking also. I am not willing to go to jail or pay over $5000 because of it though. I am on Sprint with the 8330 and I connected with it once or twice before I know I was not supposed to be using it.. Then why am I able to do it out of the box if it is "stealing?"
    08-30-09 10:01 AM
    just got off the phone with a reallly honest sprint rep. he told me that sprint doesnt offer support for tethering only if you dont pay for the plan...however you wont be charged if you tether without a plan...he checked my account and last night i was online for 3hrs yesterday. i used up 1gb and he said im not charged for it and wont be . but i asked for it in writing but he said he wont be able to do it.Theres a 5g cap tho which i dont know how would that work. Will it cut me off line or would i get charged per kbs over?

Now that i know this..wats the point of a air card? Really? The speeds using my girls 8330 is like my old dsl. Wonder if it is better with the Tour that im going to get....
    08-30-09 03:27 PM
    wow lol how did you manage to get that in writing...
    Via online chat with a Sprint CSR. No mention of 5GB cap. If ever I go over it and I get charged, I'll have the doc to reference. I don't think I'd do well in jail. Lol.

08-30-09 06:26 PM
    I have an 8330 and an 8130 with 1500 shared mins and unlimited everything data through sprint. Been using smartview for almost 8mos with no charges and that's with quite a few movies, songs, and OS files downloaded and my wife is always in AOL chats, still not a dime in charges.
    09-01-09 03:24 PM
    I called sprint to try to add the tethering feature to my account....I have the everything data familyshare plan with 1500 minutes and they said that i cannot add the tethering feature unless i split off onto my own plan....one rep said the sprint does not offer it....the third rep said that i should just install sprint smart view and try to connect, so i did and it let me tether my 8330 just fine....havent seen my first bill but i am only doing what sprint informed me to do....I will hopefully remember to log back on and let you all know what happens with my wireless phone bill
    09-03-09 02:28 PM
    Same thing I went through 8mos ago. Store rep told me I couldn't get a tether plan on family. Phone rep tried to sell me a 5G plan but couldn't tell me if it was 5G tethering or 5G total data for all phones. D/l smartview when I saw it and went to live tech support chat. The tech told me bb couldn't tether at all and ended the chat abruptly when I told him I was tethering my bb to talk to him. Lmao. Haven't been charged a dime and bb is the only sprint phone that can tether without a plan, last I heard.

09-03-09 03:26 PM
    i tether with sprint with the cord via smart view and bluetooth connection and its free sprint wont admit it because some people are ignorant to the fact but if you just do it they don't know and you get it for free!!!! im actually doing it via bluetooth right now!!!!!! and i promise im not being charged
    09-03-09 11:02 PM
    We have been using the tethering with smartview for about 2 years on about 9 bb's in our company. Just used it for trips and if the net went out in the office, desperation stuff mostly. It stopped working about a week ago and our sprint rep told me that an automated systematic account review blocked it. (my rep is younger than my keyboard and not quite as smart). I was truly under the impression that it was included in our HUGE bills and data plans. Now she wants me to switch to a plan that is more than double the cost PLUS an additional $15 a month per phone to get what we already had back.

Someone earlier in the thread said that it was a push to sell more of the wwan cards and I agree.

(Why is Sprint allowed to charge all users a 0.471% of their total bill to collect the Washington State B&O Fee (I'm in Florida) to recover costs? So Sprint has about 50million subscribers at an average of $100 a month. Every month they make a completely free $21million and some of you are worrying about stealing some imaginary thing that just happens to be omitted in newer contracts. They also get the USF charge of up to 12.3%($615,000,000 a month)! this is all on top of your advertised rates. I know verizon and att also do it, I am complaining about companies wanting to have the cake and eat it too.)
    10-20-09 03:40 PM
    So, is it now impossible to tether with the Curve? Ughh... I bought the Curve so I could get rid of my BB card.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
    10-27-09 12:17 PM
    I dont understand how it is stealing, if youre accessing the web with your phone or through it, isnt it the same web? isnt the point of access (the phone) still the same?
    i used to have a pocket pc, and i was told from the rep i could use it as a modem bc i had the unlimited data package and all that. but now i have the same (more expensive) unlimited data plan, and i cant?! crock-o-sh!t. and the funny part about this is when i was asking about the plan and what the difference was in the past data package and the new one i was being forced to take (besides the price, if i wanted my full mail in rebate) if i wanted to upgrade...transfered FIVE times, and the jury is still out....what they lack in customer service they make up for in BS..lol
    10-27-09 01:16 PM
    where can i find the programs for free to turn my blackberry in to a wifi hotspot or tether it none of these things you all have said worked
    04-03-10 06:18 AM
    For sprint?
    No where.
    8330 has no wifi anyways.

But. You can use tether (there was a 50% off yesterday[now its 50 dollars]) and if you have windows 7 you can download conectify and make your laptop share the phones internet.
    And yes. It works. I've done it before.

Phone > computer > iPod touch G1

04-03-10 06:56 AM
    From all I have read and tried. I am under the impression that the bb 8330 can no longer be used as a modem to tether to a laptop. I am asking because there is so much information on here. LOL I am confused. I d/l the usb and modems drivers and the latest version of DM. Tried the #777 and it doesnt work. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,
    03-04-11 11:14 PM
    short answer is that NO it is illegal to steal bandwidth...

unlimited web/data access is defined as using up to 5GB of data on the Sprint network, or 300MB while roaming, using your BB alone.. Using your phone as a modem (or PAM) is NOT included in your plan,
    Wait a minute, how is tethering stealing bandwidth?

Now, I won't argue that it's probably a violation of the Terms of Service, but "stealing bandwidth" is more like somehow accessing Sprint's network without authorization and using it to connect to the internet (which is practically impossible)

Web/Data access is web/data access whether it's from a smartphone, PC, game console, toaster oven, toilet etc.
    03-04-11 11:22 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD