So viigo just informed me about the new blog on crackberry about Microsoft's Tellme program. This thing looks amazing, better than google maps possibly. I want to have this thread serve as a discussion for any cool and useful tricks you may have found using the program. Or any troubleshooting problems you've encountered.

I'll start this one off by saying I'm already having problems. I downloaded the app in my basement and when I first tried running it, the program loaded but since I was in my basement it didn't receive a gps signal. I came upstairs to go outside quick and in the process stepped on my dogs tail by accident. Shes okay thankfuly but the program isnt. After regaining my balance and giving my dog a treat my phone was in the process of rebooting. So the program crashes now every time I've run it. Tried uninstalling and I've tried a battery pull neither of which have yielded a positive result. I've shot a troubleshooting feedback to the site and when I get a response I'll post it here.

For those of you however who have this program running... discuss.
    04-23-08 11:04 PM
    I downloaded this software yesterday evening. I use an unlocked 8310 on T-Mobile. Since downloading the app, i've used it several times to check the weather and get directions home. I'm happy to sai I've had no issues.
    04-24-08 07:13 AM
    Anybody got a copy of the OTA Download for the 8100 yet? I would like to try it on my 8130 but they won't let me download it since it isn't cleared for that device yet...
    04-24-08 07:51 AM
    Anybody got a copy of the OTA Download for the 8100 yet? I would like to try it on my 8130 but they won't let me download it since it isn't cleared for that device yet...
    Probably won't work until it clears, if it clears for it.
    04-24-08 07:53 AM
    I dled this yesterday, and so far I think it's great. The interface and ease of operation are far superior to the beyond411 program. The integration of the voice search and map feature, plus the weather and traffic are great. The only thing it lacks is an integrated websearch like beyond411, but the pros outweigh that one con.
    04-24-08 08:47 AM
    I downloaded it and the Yahoo onesearch w/voice yesterday to compare and, surprisingly, was more impressed with the Tellme application. I like the fact that if I can't get a GPS feed, I can skip it and use the voice feature to say a specific city or zip code. I ended up deleting the Yahoo product.
    04-24-08 09:04 AM
    Anyone know if this works for Canadian users?
    04-24-08 09:16 AM
    If you want to try the 8100 version on your 8130 (which I just installed, and it seems to work alright, but I'm at work and can't fully test it out, and obviously no GPS) follow this link

Tellme By Mobile Direct Download

and choose 8100, or just go here

http://m.tellme.com/dist/unsigned/Bl...etop-0.9.7.jad

For all the T-Mobile people with 83xx and 88xx series, go here and choose your phone

04-24-08 09:33 AM
    I cannot get this working on my 8800 with 4.5 BETA..

It goes to "Getting GPS" and then a line appears and disappears below it, then a orange circle appears.. then at the bottom says "Skip GPS"

does nothing else.. anyone having issues with this on 4.5?
    04-24-08 09:51 AM
    I'm calling it.. Tellme does not work with 4.5. On the curve anyways

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-08 11:29 AM
    whats the biggest difference between 4.5 and 4.2
    04-24-08 12:41 PM
    the most noticible is the prettier email, L theme installed by default, the browser now scrolls by the sensitivity of the trackball vs only scrolling on links, and there's a little mouse icon..

there's other features, such as Memory Cleaner, but the above are the most noticible.
    04-24-08 12:46 PM
    is it worth getting it, and how do i get it
    04-24-08 01:07 PM
    I'm calling it.. Tellme does not work with 4.5. On the curve anyways

I got exactly the same problem you reported. Was inside, couldn't get GPS walked outside and the app promptly rebooted my 8310. Tried it two times since then and it seems to be a handy way to reboot my BB. I did hear a cowroker of mine screaming at his 8800 with not much luck either.
    04-24-08 01:08 PM
    Anyone know if this works for Canadian users?
    I'm in Alberta, downloaded and tried with no luck. Doesn't recognize CDN cities. BLAH! Piece of crap.
    04-24-08 01:21 PM
    I successfully downloaded it last night. Been playing with it locally and in center city with no problems. updates GPS to present location with ease. Local searches are quick and plenty.
    Five stars! *****
    04-24-08 01:34 PM
    yeah I have it to and it works pretty well. For some reason it wont put my city in for example, I live in Chino, but it find the city next to me named Chino Hills, but other than that its great. But with 4.5 coming here soon it seems that some say it doesnt work with it some i'm wondering whats going to be done to solve that issue
    04-24-08 03:11 PM
    Yea I'm surprised it doesn't work with 4.5 seeing as how its release is imminent.

04-24-08 04:13 PM
    Loaded it on my OS4.2 8310 and it works fine. Sent in my first two bug reports though and signed up to be a Beta tester. Asked for directions back to my apartment. Worked fine up to about 300' away asked you to take a Left and come in the non-existent back entrance. It had you on the right street up to 300' and then told you to turn off! Second was tried to get a "pizza" from my apartment and it found several but missed the one at 4000 W Main about 100' away from me. It is Micro$oft so I expected bugs. Not bad at all for a first release and I hope it improves and STAYS FREE.

Tom
    04-24-08 04:19 PM
    If you want to try the 8100 version on your 8130 (which I just installed, and it seems to work alright, but I'm at work and can't fully test it out, and obviously no GPS) follow this link

and choose 8100, or just go here

http://m.tellme.com/dist/unsigned/Bl...etop-0.9.7.jad

For all the T-Mobile people with 83xx and 88xx series, go here and choose your phone

This is really frustrating, how come they don't have 8300 listed there? I can only think that they are trying to push this for devices with GPS but there are some listed without GPS.. Idiots did not include 8300, and I assume 8320 version should work fine on 8300?? Can anyone report?
    04-25-08 08:22 AM
    It does not seem to work "fully" on my puck equipped Verizon 8830. It appears to be skewed to somewhere south of my location like it is using cell tower locations or maybe a generic knowledge of where my phone is rather than MY GPS POSITION.
    04-25-08 09:41 AM
    Trying it on an ATT 8310. When I start it, it says "getting GPS" Whether I let it do that or hit "skip GPS," it immediately comes up as "connection lost." I tried deleting it and downloading again, but still the same thing. All my permissions are set to "allow"
    04-25-08 11:42 AM
    booo...another 8310 running the Beta 4.5.
    04-25-08 12:53 PM
    is it worth getting it, and how do i get it
    On your phone, go to m.tellme.com.

I like it. However, I don't like the fact that it doesn't give you the 'aerial' view while your getting directions like BBMaps does. The traffic update was accurate when testing it yesterday.

Like I mentioned, if it had the ability to show me exactly where I was while driving, I'd delete BBMaps and just keep TellMe.
    04-25-08 01:35 PM
    no workie on the 8310 with 4.5!
    04-25-08 03:17 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD