is there a way to close the app completely; I have an 8330?
    03-08-09 07:48 PM
    Using the Bold, this program rocks! Hasta la vista Live Search.

Bryan
    03-08-09 08:00 PM
    I have a Bold and was wondering the same thing or if it is always running.

Chris
    03-09-09 02:59 AM
    Are you guys talking about it running in the background? Like if you choose switch applications, you see it running?

Because on my Bold it is not running in the background. If I close the app it closes completely.
    03-09-09 06:32 AM
    Tellme wouldn't tell me...anything. Couldn't get it to work. I'm running OS .237. Too bad for me. Looks like a really nice app!
    03-15-09 11:23 PM

I have a Bold and was wondering the same thing or if it is always running.

Chris
    I just realized why this is happening to you guys. TellMe has released a new Blackberry Beta and they've added voice dialing as well. The hitch is that now TellMe runs in the background continuously. I downloaded it to my Pearl and it is now behaving the way you guys describe. I'm holding off on downloading it to my Bold as I prefer the previous version and don't need voice dialing since Vlingo does it plus the built in voice dialing.

Just a heads up for those that use this app before downloading this newest version. I actually had it 95% downloaded onto my Bold and at the last second realized what was going on and cancelled the download. Whew.
    Last edited by Marine One; 03-18-09 at 03:12 PM.
    03-18-09 03:08 PM
    I just realized why this is happening to you guys. TellMe has released a new Blackberry Beta and they've added voice dialing as well. The hitch is that now TellMe runs in the background continuously. I downloaded it to my Pearl and it is now behaving the way you guys describe. I'm holding off on downloading it to my Bold as I prefer the previous version and don't need voice dialing since Vlingo does it plus the built in voice dialing.

Just a heads up for those that use this app before downloading this newest version. I actually had it 95% downloaded onto my Bold and at the last second realized what was going on and cancelled the download. Whew.
    Hmmn..I downloaded it last weekend and I have not noticed any particular loss in file space or battery power. I have the version with voice dialing and I love it!!
    03-18-09 10:32 PM
    how is anyone on Verizon making this thing work? im on Verizon and TellMe requires GPS activation which does not work on Verizon phones unless it's BBMaps or Verizon's GPS version.
    03-19-09 02:17 PM
    Hmmn..I downloaded it last weekend and I have not noticed any particular loss in file space or battery power. I have the version with voice dialing and I love it!!
    Yeah I never said it affected battery life or file space.

It's just that this app never ran in the background before this update and the only reason I can figure for this is the voice dialing feature.

I'm a TellMe fanboy, but the voice dialing makes little sense since you need to enter the app to use it. That just makes for MORE clicks to make a call compared to using the built in VD, or even vlingo which simply takes one button press as well.

In summary,, why would I want to download an update that makes it run in the background for a reason I'll never use? On their website it lists VD, sports and stocks as "new", but the only thing new with this update is the VD. My current Bold version has the stocks and sports options already.

I'd love to hear reasons to download this on my Bold, or even why the TellMe VD is easier than using other VD options. Maybe I'm missing something.

M1
    03-19-09 02:29 PM
    Is anyone else having major battery drainage issues with the new voice dial version? My battery is getting killed after upgrading. I think its accessing the gps while running in the background. I'm going to roll back the version and see if I'm back to normal

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 10:43 PM
    Is anyone else having major battery drainage issues with the new voice dial version? My battery is getting killed after upgrading. I think its accessing the gps while running in the background. I'm going to roll back the version and see if I'm back to normal

I'm interested in this as well. I went ahead and downloaded the beta and I was wrong about the functionality of the voice dialing feature. If you assign the left side convenience key to nothing it will let you "say" a request right from your home screen. Haven't played with it much yet but they need to make it so that when you're done with a call that you're not returned to the tellme homescreen, as that is really annoying after awhile.

Still not happy that you can't close this app out if you want. I think I'm still going to prefer the previous version. It worked and worked well. I wish they'd offer both versions. I've had this app on my phone since I first got a BB but I could see myself dumping it now.
    Last edited by Marine One; 03-20-09 at 11:10 PM.
    03-20-09 11:07 PM
    I love this app I love how I can sms anyphone with the directions. I love it. Much quicker then vzw navigator. Thank you

03-20-09 11:21 PM
    how is anyone on Verizon making this thing work? im on Verizon and TellMe requires GPS activation which does not work on Verizon phones unless it's BBMaps or Verizon's GPS version.
    Don't know, but I am getting it. My guess is that just like with Google Maps, we can get within so many meters but not an accurate read. Perhaps the TellMe application is reading some signals and picking up the phone. Also, the "directions" command on this works much like MapQuest as you need to enter the addresses and do not need GPS. TellMe does have GPS capabality and I would love it if Verizon would allow us access.

I love this app.

MarineOne...didn't mean to mis-state your point. Just wanted to say that if the app is running in the background, it doesn't seem to have affected my storage space or battery life.
    03-21-09 08:46 AM
    I love this app I love how I can sms anyphone with the directions. I love it. Much quicker then vzw navigator. Thank you

Yeah...this is a great feature.
    03-21-09 08:48 AM
    Love this app but I think it is draining the battery. I can not find the non Beta ver to go back to. Anyone have any good ideas. I can not deal with this kind of drain no matter how good the app is.

Paul
    03-22-09 12:07 PM
    There are some posts in here that say this app doesn't work with os 4.5. Is there something else that does voice search that would work with google maps? According to the google site, voice search only works on the pearl phones. I have vlingo but from what I can tell, it only opens the program, I can't get it to do a search.
    Just saw this post...maybe they updated the program because I am using it running 4.5.
    03-22-09 12:20 PM
    Love this app but I think it is draining the battery. I can not find the non Beta ver to go back to. Anyone have any good ideas. I can not deal with this kind of drain no matter how good the app is.

Paul
    I'd be interested in the last version too if anyone has it. I had to delete this one since when I assigned the left side key to TellMe it wouldn't allow me to unset the key without a battery pull. So when I tried to assign Google maps, it opens TellMe AND Google Maps.:O Plus if you use it, it also opens the app which is totally annoying. Not nearly as smooth as Vlingo in this regard and I don't even care for Vlingo all that much either. I've had this app for over two years on several berries and it sucks to delete it but I had no choice. I went thru the first beta with this app and there is no reason to have another beta as the last version worked fine.

This version is too intrusive and frankly isn't nearly as usable as previous versions, and is buggy too. Major bummer. Why can't they just leave well enough alone??? Or at least offer a version without the VD. Oh well nothing last forever.

I just want my old TellMe back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-22-09 12:49 PM
    damn, it doesnt support the bold .... boooooo.

I have tell me on my bold and it works like a charm. not sure where you got that info but it does work wonders.
    03-22-09 01:58 PM
    The new TellMe isnt working very well for me either. I had to delete it.
    03-22-09 02:05 PM
    My brothers friend Angus created TellMe and I have been using it for years over the phone and have been using the apps since they where released.. I have it on my Bold and my girlfriend has it on her curve... i love it.. too bad he sold the company to Microsoft so they can add it to their next OS
    03-25-09 05:03 PM

Paul
    If you've ever done any backups or 3rd party app backups on your pc, you should be able to delete the new program on your bb, not on pc with DM, and serch your pc for all ".cod" files. If u find the tellme.cod. There should be an .alx file in the same folder. Start DM and go to app loader and load that .alx file. Should give you TellMe option to load

Last edited by abu4321; 03-25-09 at 11:53 PM.
    03-25-09 11:50 PM
    Here is what I pulled off my computer for the old TellMe, prior to voice dial. 1.86 something. However, I had to make the .alx file myself, based on a template of a diff .alx file I had on the computer, professionally designed one. So, it might have to be amended by someone with more programming skills than myself.

IMPORTANT: THIS IS FOR BOLD 9000 ONLY
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
    Try to load it with Desktop Manager or App Loader on desktop
    03-26-09 12:57 AM
    how can I get tellme on my BB storm when I go to BB app world all I get is my phone is not supported so I cant download it.... driving me nut. I see that others in this thread have the storm and are using the app some help would be useful thanks in advance
    12-16-09 07:37 PM
    No love for OS 5.0?
    Or does the 9000 version work for the Bold 9700?
    01-01-10 12:58 AM
    Has anyone been able to use the Speech-To-Text SMS feature for TellMe using a Curve 83xx? My gf's name is Robin. In trying to send her a message, it seems like any combination of words just calls her instead. I've tried "text Robin", "message Robin", etc., and it just calls her instead.

Is this feature only available for certain phones? I was hoping to replace Vlingo with TellMe to conserve memory (Vlingo is a beast), but if it can't do Speech-To-Text SMS, then I see no point. It's already a bit more annoying having to hit the Call button instead of the assigned Side Key, leading to a bit of keyboard gymnastics every time I want to use it. :/
    05-19-10 09:18 AM
103 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD