As a TD Ameritrade customer, and with Playbook on the immediate horizon, I emailed Tech support to ask if they had a Playbook app ready to go, or were developing one. Here is the response I got (emphasis added by me):

Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for your question. At this time, we do not have an application specifically tailored to the Blackberry Playbook. While our development groups have not tested the Playbook against the Blackberry application, there is a strong likelyhood that the Blackberry application would be able to be installed and ran on the Playbook's operating system. To download, navigate to "mobile.tdameritrade.com". If there is a link at the top to download the Blackberry application, you will be able to install as this page tests the browser and operating system for certain compatibilities necessary when accessing this page from the tablet.

We are constantly in developing new trading tools to meet our traders' needs. While there is not currently an application in development for the tablet, we actively are gauging what we should be developing given market share of newer devices like the Blackberry tablet. While I cannot say whether an application will be developed, I do want to thank you for your time in relaying that this would be of interest to you.

An option you have which you could take advantage of in the meantime is our mobile website. This website, while streamlined to allow the greatest extent of phone compatibility, will allow you to check quotes realtime, trade, check your orders, and views your balances and positions. The address is "mobile.tdameritrade.com". Please let us know if you have further questions. Thank you for choosing TDAmeritrade!

Best regards,

Tessa Dueker
    Technology Support, TD Ameritrade
    Division of TD Ameritrade, Inc.

If you're a TD customer, and plan on getting the playbook, PLEASE log on to your TD account, and send a message to Tech Support via the Message Center asking them to make a Playbook app! They have one for the iPad - lets convince them the Playbook should have one too!

03-28-11 05:14 PM
    Quick update: I got this response from thinkorswim (owned by TD Ameritrade now):

Hi XXXXX,

Thanks for the follow-up. Im unaware of our developers currently working on a Blackberry app. This may be in the works or it may be not. Since the tablet is not even available to the public yet, it makes it difficult for our developers to produce an application on a tablet they themselves have no information about. I apologize for the conflicting responses, but, to my knowledge, there is no app in the works as of yet. Certainly as it becomes closer to a release, an application will almost certainly be in the works for use by our clients (many people have been asking about the Blackberry tablet! J).

Should you require any additional assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Regards,
    Joe Donato
    Client Liaison
    Please email TD Ameritrade or thinkorswim and encourage them to start working on an app!
    03-28-11 11:32 PM
    Yeah, a TD thinkorswim app for the Playbook would be freaking sweet, and it would look awesome too in a tablet format.
    04-16-11 09:38 AM
    Do you really need an app? Why not just use their website? The need for dedicated apps for tablets isnt as great as it is for phones since you get a better browser and of course a much larger screen. Not everything needs an app.
    04-16-11 05:09 PM
    Do you really need an app? Why not just use their website? The need for dedicated apps for tablets isnt as great as it is for phones since you get a better browser and of course a much larger screen. Not everything needs an app.
    right. since the PB supports full desktop browsing why do you need an app for that?
    04-16-11 11:38 PM
    Cause it's cool to say " theres ..

an app for that?

04-17-11 12:05 AM
    Might as well. I use another online brokerage and yours is of better quality than mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-11 08:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD