I just got off the phone with T-Mobile to get Visual Voice Mail setup on my 9700 and ask them about some data issues my girlfriend has been having with her G-1 and I have been having with my phone. I brought up how I was unable to tether my phone anymore and he informed me that T-Mobile no longer supports tethering. WTF!?!?!? I have to say this is poor form by T-Mobile and had I not won my copy of tether I'd be pretty pissed off having spent that kind of money on the app and now not be able to use it. Anyone else experiencing these issues? or have a work around for this? Jebus, I'm kinda pissed even when getting this app for free!!!
    03-26-10 03:20 AM
    it still works for me...
    03-26-10 03:47 AM
    I just got off the phone with T-Mobile to get Visual Voice Mail setup on my 9700 and ask them about some data issues my girlfriend has been having with her G-1 and I have been having with my phone. I brought up how I was unable to tether my phone anymore and he informed me that T-Mobile no longer supports tethering. WTF!?!?!? I have to say this is poor form by T-Mobile and had I not won my copy of tether I'd be pretty pissed off having spent that kind of money on the app and now not be able to use it. Anyone else experiencing these issues? or have a work around for this? Jebus, I'm kinda pissed even when getting this app for free!!!
    you do know that you do not need tether app to, connect to user your 9700 as a modem. even blackberry desktop manager has the Internet tether connection option... i'm amazed at how many people buy that app when you can clearly do it for free and is just as easy too setup
    03-26-10 03:54 AM
    Support just means you cannot call them for help, not that a function of your phone has been taken away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-10 04:14 AM
    Support just means you cannot call them for help, not that a function of your phone has been taken away.

it also possibly means they'll charge you for it... yes they can tell... data rates tethered are higher than when just using the phones features.
    03-26-10 04:37 AM
    Each carrier do their contracts differently. Data typically is not part of the contract, just an added feature that can be removed at any time or modified by carriers i.e. rates, usage terms and device requirements. I doubt TMO is taking away tethering as a standard part of their data packages since that is a nice to have addition that other carriers charge extra for.

03-26-10 06:41 AM
    That is correct. T-Mobile will now refer you to their forums for information about using a phone as a modem.
    03-26-10 06:47 AM
    you do know that you do not need tether app to, connect to user your 9700 as a modem. even blackberry desktop manager has the Internet tether connection option... i'm amazed at how many people buy that app when you can clearly do it for free and is just as easy too setup
    Are you aware that option doesn't shop up on EVERY copy of DM 5.0.1. I have two co-workers, one has ATT and one has VZW, and my T-Mobile copy of DM5.0.1 is the only one with the IP modem connection.

and given they are coming out with the HSAP+ dell 10" netbook, no surprise to me. i just wonder if those of us with the EM+ unlimited EVERYTHING will be grandfathered into the tethering.

03-26-10 08:30 AM
    Are you aware that option doesn't shop up on EVERY copy of DM 5.0.1. I have two co-workers, one has ATT and one has VZW, and my T-Mobile copy of DM5.0.1 is the only one with the IP modem connection.

and given they are coming out with the HSAP+ dell 10" netbook, no surprise to me. i just wonder if those of us with the EM+ unlimited EVERYTHING will be grandfathered into the tethering.

DM5 comes from RIM, you can download the program from blackberry.com, and even without DM5 you can still tether with any windows xp, vista or 7 computer. i'm just saying tether berry does the exact same thing windows and DM5 IP Modem does for free. Its not doing anything special. The settings are already there for you, its not routing you through special servers or anything. I have to admit they're good at marketing that program, in which I admire.
    03-26-10 09:56 AM
    yes, i was aware. i just won my copy through crackberry when they were doing all their giveaways for their birthday a few weeks ago...

i may have jumped the gun on all of this too, mine wasn't working late last night and after talking to t-mobile the guy on the phone was making it sound like it wasnt going to work anymore ... i've been experiencing a lot of problems in the minneapolis network with data lately. i woke up this morning and the tether was working again....
    03-26-10 04:43 PM
    DM5 comes from RIM, you can download the program from blackberry.com, and even without DM5 you can still tether with any windows xp, vista or 7 computer. i'm just saying tether berry does the exact same thing windows and DM5 IP Modem does for free. Its not doing anything special. The settings are already there for you, its not routing you through special servers or anything. I have to admit they're good at marketing that program, in which I admire.

It is there on all installs. Do a search and modify the config files to get it back.
    03-26-10 05:04 PM
    As others have stated, you just need DTM after 11/09 - ver 5.0.1 (or later?) Works perfectly on TM. True, if you need help, need to go to their forum, or here<G>. Takes only a few seconds to set up. TM, like most carriers, will cut back your d/l speed if you hit 10GB in a month. (You get reset the following month.) This is true whether data is d/l'd directly to phone to via tethering to computer. I rarely tether, but might hit close to 2GB a month lidtening to Pandora a lot.
    ATT makes it not as seamless - they try to make the tethering icon on DTM disappear. ATT users have said they have gotten the icon to reappear and have no real problems. Haven't seen posts from Vz or Sprint users.
    ...mike
    03-27-10 09:50 PM
    I am so glad that TMO doesn't charge for tethering while other carriers do. I don't have internet at home so I tether everyday for a few hours. When I was trying out Tether (formerly TetherBerry), I noticed that my tethering speeds were about 200kbps-300kbps higher than using DM but I just didn't buy it after the trial. I don't know of anyone else with the same results as I have experienced though.
    03-28-10 12:04 AM
    I don't get the IP Modem icon in DM 5.0.1, why?
    03-28-10 12:39 AM
    I am so glad that TMO doesn't charge for tethering while other carriers do. I don't have internet at home so I tether everyday for a few hours. When I was trying out Tether (formerly TetherBerry), I noticed that my tethering speeds were about 200kbps-300kbps higher than using DM but I just didn't buy it after the trial. I don't know of anyone else with the same results as I have experienced though.
    yea, i think the tether app does run a little faster than DM.
    03-28-10 01:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD